Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tuned! 332whp! My Engine Build - Cams, Airbox, LTW Flyhweel & more :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats that’s great news

Comment

Congrats! Enjoy the build!
      Last edited by SteelGreyM; 04-18-2021, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Nice work, must feel good to have this experience under your belt!
          2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
          Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
          Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
          RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
          Instagram

Comment

Awesome! Now go get it dyno tuned and post up the results!
            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
              Nice work, must feel good to have this experience under your belt!
              OMG every job after is a walk in the park. So there’s that. Every time you work on the car from now on you’re just relaxed đŸ˜‚

Comment

Feels great knowing we put the motor together properly!

I'll go for a nice long drive tonight and get those rings seated!

Dyno & bespoke tune will happen once I've done my ~1,000km and 10w-60 oil goes in. Likely go with Paul Claude. Can someone tag him in this post please?

Will be very interesting to see what kind of power it makes before and after a tune. If it makes 310-320whp I'll be stoked. And remember, our dyno's down under read a lot less than yours
                Last edited by Syfon; 05-05-2021, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Re the lightweight flywheel; at idle briefly last night, clutch out, I could hear the chatter. Sounds like a box of bolts hahaha. Bare in mind, I don't have any of the sound deadening or trim piece on the transmission/shifter yet, so I can see straight through the floor lol. Sound just pours in.

Shouldn't be too noticeable once the trim / sound insulation goes back in. Plus the exhaust is quite loud so I doubt I'll really notice it!

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Did my first oil change since my rebuild a few days ago after 850kms. I have run 10w60 since the first start up and the oil was very dark. Obviously carrying a lot of junk in it. I definitely wouldn't do 1000km if you're running 15w40 non synthetic. Especially not after seeing the oil that came out of mine, can't imagine a non synthetic. Maybe change out twice at 500km intervals.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoglan View Post
                        Did my first oil change since my rebuild a few days ago after 850kms. I have run 10w60 since the first start up and the oil was very dark. Obviously carrying a lot of junk in it. I definitely wouldn't do 1000km if you're running 15w40 non synthetic. Especially not after seeing the oil that came out of mine, can't imagine a non synthetic. Maybe change out twice at 500km intervals.
                        I'll be dropping the oil this afternoon and renewing it + filter. You might be right; may be worth doing 500km and refreshing it for the next 500km prior to going to the fully synthetic 10w-60.

After I switched it off last night, I pulled the dipstick and had a good look at a smidge of oil under a very bright light. It wasn't discoloured and no evidence of metal particles or anything funky.

Will cut open the oil filter this afternoon and take some photos. Be interesting to see what it has caught (if anything).

Comment

I think it's normal to get the oil carrying material after a rebuild, largely due to the fresh hone. Shouldn't be any big chunks obviously, but the oil that came out of mine had a slight metallic sheen, very small metallic particles darkening the oil. My oil filter was pretty good but with a handful of very small metal flecks. My builder said that's normal and he was happy with it.

Interesting that there seems to be a few of us all at about the same stage in the rebuild at the same time haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoglan View Post
                            I think it's normal to get the oil carrying material after a rebuild, largely due to the fresh hone. Shouldn't be any big chunks obviously, but the oil that came out of mine had a slight metallic sheen, very small metallic particles darkening the oil. My oil filter was pretty good but with a handful of very small metal flecks. My builder said that's normal and he was happy with it.

Interesting that there seems to be a few of us all at about the same stage in the rebuild at the same time haha.
                            Yeah I've read this is completely normal while all surfaces mate to one another and establish their wear patterns.

Haha yeah I've noticed! I hope everyone's builds are going smoothly!

Comment

If you are running non-synthetic then you are already playing into the superstition so stay the course for the 1000km... The basis of the theory for non-synthetic is that it isn't as "slippery" (as synthetic) and hence allows the piston rings to seat better... that's literally why it gets full of material, that is the point, as long as that material is piston ring material and not bearing material then you are doing it right... so using non-synthetic and refreshing it prior to the 1000km run in period literally undermines the whole basis behind why you are using non-synthetic in the first place... I just did a oil analysis after my run-in to be sure... mind you I say that, I do oil analysis at every oil change haha

Comment

Originally posted by STAATS View Post
                                If you are running non-synthetic then you are already playing into the superstition so stay the course for the 1000km... The basis of the theory for non-synthetic is that it isn't as "slippery" (as synthetic) and hence allows the piston rings to seat better... that's literally why it gets full of material, that is the point, as long as that material is piston ring material and not bearing material then you are doing it right... so using non-synthetic and refreshing it prior to the 1000km run in period literally undermines the whole basis behind why you are using non-synthetic in the first place... I just did a oil analysis after my run-in to be sure... mind you I say that, I do oil analysis at every oil change haha
                                Not really. As a general rule you don't want material in your oil. It's bad for the engine. It gets drawn through the head, the cams, all the oil galleys etc. Having foreign material hinders protection and can cause damage. However, this material is essentially an unavoidable biproduct of running an engine in obviously. If you buy into the whole non synthetic idea then you want the wear properties of the oil, but you really don't want the material that comes out because you do not have the protective oil (synthetic) to stop the damage from it. Changing the oil halfway essentially means you retain the same wear properties of the oil you're putting in but it's cleaner.

Personally, I am beyond glad I used synthetic. Earlier in this thread it was said that synthetic would stop the rings from wearing into the bores. Intuitively this sounded wrong, but I didn't know any better. After seeing the oil come out, it's pretty safe to say that is bollocks. Non synthetics offer bugger all protection in these engines with how small the tolerances are and I can't imagine the amount of material it would be carrying after 1000km would be good for the engine. Seems a safe bet to swap it out half way since you're running an oil which will do nothing to stop block and ring material causing damage to polished cam and crank journals at essentially no cost to the non synthetic superstition. Unless the superstition is that you want the non synthetic oil to wear the rings and bore down so that the freed material can wear everything else down in an unmeasurable and unpredictable way, in which case... that seems a little far fetched.

Comment

Working...
                                X