No announcement yet.

BMW Performance Brembo 6-Piston BBK from the 135i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Porsche calipers are phenomenal. They're a bit noisy when warm though. Only a dedicated track would need more.
    This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
    https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post
      Porsche calipers are phenomenal. They're a bit noisy when warm though. Only a dedicated track would need more.
      Porsche sells dampers that go inside the pistons to address the noise.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

p0lar later refuted his charts on the M3F and edited the original posts to say they were wrong but leaving them there for posterity. I wish we could scrub the internet of them.

One of the best parts of the 996 calipers (IMO) is they are monoblock aluminum and super light. The unsprung weight savings and pedal feel is very noticeable which I don't think I saw mentioned here.

135i calipers are ug.

Comment

Has anyone tried fitting CTS-V calipers? Like this one https://www.ebay.com/i/293710705165?...RoCzJkQAvD_BwE

Comment

I was looking into those for e90, but it may be difficult to machine those as they are not radial mounted. Other from that those could be a nice solution as the are pretty cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

Concur the stoptech rings are trash. And nobody else makes them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              We design, manufacture, and sell 2-piece, fully-floating brake rotors for Porsche, BMW, Subaru, and more. Made in the USA from US-sourced materials.
              '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by BOOSTED View Post
                Has anyone tried fitting CTS-V calipers? Like this one https://www.ebay.com/i/293710705165?...RoCzJkQAvD_BwE
                Don't buy them used - you can buy them brand new for like $250 a side.

The problem with those calipers is mounting. They mount on the side of the caliper so building a mounting custom bracket is challenging and depending on the clearances not possible. It's much easier to build a custom bracket for calipers that mount downward.

There is a kit out there to use Corvette brakes that RallyRoad makes: https://rallyroad.net/collections/e4...akekitbrackets and you can buy the calipers for about $330 a side. Rallyroad also sells a whole kit for about $1500.

I think the Corvette calipers are a bit ugly but their kit probably works well. Also, their replacement 355mm front rotor replacements are $180 - although FCPEuro once and free for life wins out IMHO.
                E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
                Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread
                Melbourne Red e93m3

Comment

i stand corrected. Still pricey but if they last well worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

i stand corrected. Still pricey but if they last well worth it.

Their rotor rings are the real deal. Never thought I'd look back on the price and think it was worth it, but they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Porsche sells dampers that go inside the pistons to address the noise.
                      About those... I thought about them up to the point of seeing the pricetag. I haven't looked back. It made me perfectly ok with the noise.

Comment

About those... I thought about them up to the point of seeing the pricetag. I haven't looked back. It made me perfectly ok with the noise.
                        Porsche Boxster Disc Brake Pad Shim parts online. Buy OEM & Genuine parts with a Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping and Unlimited 365 Day Returns.

Would these work? Seem pretty reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post

https://www.fcpeuro.com/Porsche-part...=2093&t=6&b=10

Would these work? Seem pretty reasonable.
                          11 x 8 = $88 or twice that for the individual shims to address a normal noise.

Comment

11 x 8 = $88 or twice that for the individual shims to address a normal noise.
                            seems more like 17x4 + 14.7x4

Total is 127. sort of expensive, plus you no longer can just slide the pad out.

Comment

Originally posted by maupineda View Post

seems more like 17x4 + 14.7x4

Total is 127. sort of expensive, plus you no longer can just slide the pad out.
                              Ah so fronts and rear are different styles. Didn't even think of not being able to slide the pad out. My first brake change on a 911 made me want Porsche calipers on my car.

Dreams do come true ​​​​​​
                              I stayed in school and didn't do drugs.

Comment

People here seriously underestimate the stock brakes...

I have CSL brakes all around with hawk DTC-70s and RBF 660 (both free from FCP. Gotta give them a shoutout whenever possible). My car is stock weight. I'm comfortable in any intermediate group on slow tracks with LOTS of braking and on fast tracks with lots of cooling time but hard braking zones (road america for example). 30 min sessions always. I have never had brake fade. Never had bad pedal feel. Never wished my brakes were better. Never had a complaint honestly. That being said, I have not driven with a true BBK. I keep looking for a reason to switch over, but my current setup doesn't seem to have flaws. Could I be braking later? Am I simply missing out on pedal feel?

Am I missing something? Or am I just too slow?

Comment

Working...
                                X