Everything about Fat Cat Motorsport Suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post
    Forgive the ignorance but what is the difference in what your service offers from what Redshift does? Only reason I'm asking is they also use Bilstein Motorsports inserts in existing bodies. I'm guessing you offer more custom suspension tuning to that?
    From their site: "The dampers in our RedShift BC Competition Coilovers are very similar to Bilstein dampers."

They use either BC coilovers, which are Taiwanese-made AFAIK, or MCS. I see no mention of these being "Bilstein Motorsports inserts" so that's likely an assumption on your part. Even if it were, the damper tuning, compression, rebound, Ripple Reducer, Kerb Blow-off technology, and detailed consultation process are all part of my method and what distinguishes results from anyone else.

I suggest asking Redshift how low they can get the strut's gas force, and if they incorporate any blow-off or high-frequency filtering technology. I see no evidence of the latter two, and I know from having tested BC and MCS that the 19mm to 22mm shafts produce LARGE rod force, which is BAD for ultimate grip and compliance over surface features.

I've had multiple racers take off MCS 2-way and 3-way and go faster with FCM Elite. Testimonials earlier in this thread. The MCS and BC approach is to use LARGE shafts which unfortunately generate LARGE gas force and gas spring effects. This reduces maximum grip and also stability at the limit.

If people are liking those, then just wait until they experience FCM Elite!
    Shaikh Jalal Ahmad
    Suspension Decoder @ Fat Cat Motorsports, Inc.
    Youtube: Suspension Truth
    FCM E46 M3 Ride Harmonizer spreadsheet

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post

Do you rebuild GC DA shocks? I read somewhere before that FATCAT did them. I would be looking for a normal rebuild of the front shocks. Thanks.
      No, I only work on Bilstein-based monotubes. I also don't 'rebuild' but optimize - my entry level service is a high-end upgrade.
      Shaikh Jalal Ahmad
      Suspension Decoder @ Fat Cat Motorsports, Inc.
      Youtube: Suspension Truth
      FCM E46 M3 Ride Harmonizer spreadsheet

Comment

Originally posted by Suspension Decoder View Post

No, I only work on Bilstein-based monotubes. I also don't 'rebuild' but optimize - my entry level service is a high-end upgrade.
        Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Does anyone have any updates on the progress of their FCM builds?
          '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post
            Does anyone have any updates on the progress of their FCM builds?
            I just received my dampers from FCM the other day. I’m planning to install over the weekend. I’ll post a few pics of what was delivered, when I get a chance. Super excited about this!
            2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Originally posted by duracellttu View Post

I just received my dampers from FCM the other day. I’m planning to install over the weekend. I’ll post a few pics of what was delivered, when I get a chance. Super excited about this!
              How is the new set up?

Comment

Man, all this and no review? Bummer.

OP, you still out there in TV land?
                Last edited by tlow98; 11-08-2021, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tlow98 View Post
                  Man, all this and no review? Bummer.

OP, you still out there in TV land?
                  Hey everybody, I’m still here. Shortly after my last post work sent me on a 6 month training course. I was away from home and unable to finish work on the car. I’ve been back home for a few months and diligently workin to wrap things up.

I was able to drive the car on my first spring setup and the new dampers only for a short while. My initial impressions were mixed, since the spring setup based on the ride harmony spreadsheet were causing me issues. I initially had a 350/336 and 700/675 setup that caused some extremely uncomfortable and long lasting oscillations when going over bumps. The car just wouldn’t settle. It wasn’t drivable. For grins I swapped the rear spring back to my TCK 500# pair and it completely eliminated the oscillations. Nothing else was changed other than the rear spring rate. There was just too much rear spring with that setup and I targeting a ~2.0 Hz bound frequency. This is leading me to experiment with a 525/550# setup to trying and keep the corner balance spring rate approach. More to come and I’ll post some pics of my install and parts soon.
                  2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

I initially had a 350/336 and 700/675 setup that caused some extremely uncomfortable and long lasting oscillations when going over bumps. The car just wouldn’t settle. It wasn’t drivable. For grins I swapped the rear spring back to my TCK 500# pair and it completely eliminated the oscillations.
                    Dumb question but have to ask. Did you try bumping up rebound and/or compression with the ~700# springs? That's a big shift in spring rate. If you're not controlling that energy, it could act like a bum shock. "Long last oscillations" is what I'm zeroing in on.
                    Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post

Dumb question but have to ask. Did you try bumping up rebound and/or compression with the ~700# springs? That's a big shift in spring rate. If you're not controlling that energy, it could act like a bum shock. "Long last oscillations" is what I'm zeroing in on.
                      The FCM setup doesn’t have adjustable rebound and compression. They are custom valved and dyno’d to your car. I provided all the corner weight and spring setup in advance.

Comment

The FCM setup doesn’t have adjustable rebound and compression. They are custom valved and dyno’d to your car. I provided all the corner weight and spring setup in advance.
                        I must have missed that part while reading up on this. Interesting...

See, it was a dumb question.

Comment

That's bizarre, considering I assume they valved it to your spring rates?
                          '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Yeah, sounds like it's under-damped. I run similar spring rates and it's very composed.
                            2001 TiAG M3 - 6mt Coupe, Anthracite Impuse
                            Fabspeed Headers | Euro Sec 1 | OE Sec 2 | Scorpion Sec 3 | Beisan | Mini Battery | Fortune Auto 7k/12k | Hotchkis Front SB | Apex ARC-8 18x9.5 | Yellow Tag Rack

2001 TiAG M3 - 6mt Coupe, Black Nappa Leather
                            Karbonius | Supersprint | Cat Cams | Beisan | Fikse Wheels | Mile End Composites | AST 5200 | Hotchkis | Brembo | Recaro | Rouge SMF | RTD | Yellow Tag Rack | HTE Performance

Comment

the fact the initial point was so off made me wonder how good the setup actually is, for a 3K custom job I would expect being bang on (or very close to) from the get-go.

Comment

Originally posted by DJAM3 View Post
                                Yeah, sounds like it's under-damped. I run similar spring rates and it's very composed.
                                Exactly where my head went to with my earlier question.

Comment

Working...
                                X