Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help diagnosing high water temps at track - Resolved? (not really!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Having toured Mishimoto's facility, I'm not at all surprised that it isn't
    so upgrade to mishimoto when the time is right, got it! My OE rad is working wonderfully.

Comment

Deleted AC
      Deleted heater core, aux pump
      Blocked off water pump and water pipe outlets to aux pump (JB welded freeze plugs)
      No fans
      CSF Radiator
      Canton 2Q expansion tank
      ​​​​​32psi coolant cap
      OE t-stat
      OE water pump
      OE pulleys
      OE shrouds in the front
      100% distilled water with water wetter - because running coolant on track is generally frowned upon.

I run 275 NT01s, I consider myself an advanced driver. Water temps never get over 190 degrees even in 90+ degree weather with 60% humidity. I still can run into oil temp issues if I really abuse the car.

I trailer my car to the track. If you want the car to reliably run cool in any condition...you pretty much have to trailer it. Or at least trailer it when its hot. or cool enough where you need heat.

I've had the popular straight blade SPAL fan and also the highest output fan that SPAL makes. Both did an excellent job of cooling at low speeds. It would drop temps in the paddock by 20 degrees very quickly.

I welded some bungs in the thermostat housing for some temp senders - one in the feed to the radiator and return. The biggest cooling gain I had was removing the fan. About 15 degrees at speed. The drawback is it won't be able to withstand stop and go traffic AND MUST be mindful to cool the car down.

Last edited by bigjae46; 10-01-2021, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Hey all,

Sorry for not updating in awhile, but yes the cooling issue was resolved! It was the damn CSF radiator!

After installing a brand new genuine OE BMW radiator the cooling issue was resolved. Already done two whole track days since the job and water temps stay under control and under 200F, with the needle pinged dead center. Only one time did I get it to move up slightly during November, around 210F when I was absolutely dogging the car 10/10ths on back to back laps trying to chase down faster cars. Once backing off it came right back down to center under 200F. Our Novembers are not actually cool here so was a normal nice warm day.

This past weekend did the 2nd full track day, 4 x 30 minute long sessions and car stayed well under 200F the entire sunny day, even with setting a new PB that was 1.5 seconds quicker than my previous. Granted it was one of our coldest days of the year and I had the heater on, but yup overall very pleased the issue has been resolved!

Click image for larger version  Name:	C9C1CF13-3815-4FC7-90A0-D2887068A4D6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	104.8 KB ID:	151511 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_31765.jpg Views:	6 Size:	77.9 KB ID:	151509 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_31766.jpg Views:	5 Size:	197.3 KB ID:	151510
        Attached Files
        Last edited by BigRussia; 02-02-2022, 08:22 AM.
        2004 CB/Cinnamon 6MT Coupe
        Instagram
        Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
          Or you could have simply used an oe rad for less and is not made in china.

I also quite enjoy when people use the term defective when describing their experience with csf radiators. Seems they are all defective in that case.
          CSF strikes again haha. I wonder when people are going to learn.

I can't help but chuckle when people spend more money than oe on parts that are actual junk which is not often but often the case with radiators and csf.

Glad you got this resolved BR.
          2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Original equipment parts are required to have so much testing done. Even though they may be built in a way that looks "boring" due to cost saving measures, they are surely vetted more than most aftermarket parts to meet internal and BMW durability and performance standards. CSF has to do nothing but make it look nice.

That said, I don't agree with the excessive use of plastic on OE parts but it is what it is. Replace every 100k miles.

Comment

I can't help but chuckle when people spend more money than oe on parts that are actual junk which is not often but often the case with radiators and csf.
              Moderator please label this post as NSFW and and with an appropriate trigger label. 😁

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              2006 ///M3 6MT Coupe Jet Black Track Car
              [Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh1179 View Post

Moderator please label this post as NSFW and and with an appropriate trigger label. 😁

Should just make my first post in this thread a sticky 😎
                2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

CSF strikes again haha. I wonder when people are going to learn.

Glad you got this resolved BR.
                  This is one issue that was documented on M3Forum. Some people have an issue with the CSF radiators and other don’t.

I have a CSF and it has been fine. If I had to do it again, I’d go with OE. Really no point on the M3. For a non-M, makes sense since the whole cooking system is like a ticking time bomb.

When it comes time for a radiator, I will go back to OE.

Comment

Since we are on the topic of radiators and cooling...remember to keep those cooling fins clean by blowing them out once in a while from inside the engine bay outward. For efficient cooling and heat exchange, air needs to move through the fins. Especially the oil cooler, which sits low and exposed, while radiator gets some protection behind the ac condenser.

My issue with csf rad in old forum was just getting the thing to fit, the welds were so poor that they did not fit properly into plastic framing to secure the radiator to the chassis.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
                      Since we are on the topic of radiators and cooling...remember to keep those cooling fins clean by blowing them out once in a while from inside the engine bay outward. For efficient cooling and heat exchange, air needs to move through the fins. Especially the oil cooler, which sits low and exposed, while radiator gets some protection behind the ac condenser.

My issue with csf rad in old forum was just getting the thing to fit, the welds were so poor that they did not fit properly into plastic framing to secure the radiator to the chassis.

If I was a diy'er I'd definitely have air in the garage along with an air comb for this exact purpose.

Comment

I can’t imagine going through life as not a DIYer. Every time I pay people to do things, I am incredibly dissatisfied with how well it’s done.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i
                        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                          I can’t imagine going through life as not a DIYer. Every time I pay people to do things, I am incredibly dissatisfied with how well it’s done.
                          Just went through this with a body shop. Now I’m seriously considering learning how to do body work.

Comment

I'd probably be a diy'er if I lived in a random state.

Luckily I'm friends with guys who have been working on m cars for almost two decades so I leave it to the professionals.

Comment

I'd probably be a diy'er if I lived in a random state.

Luckily I'm friends with guys who have been working on m cars for almost two decades so I leave it to the professionals.
                              I meant in all things— not just cars.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                              2012 LMB/Black 128i
                              2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

If I was a diy'er I'd definitely have air in the garage along with an air comb for this exact purpose.
                                I'd consider myself a pretty hardcore diy-er (cars, house, etc) but I don't have air. Garden hose works just fine for this purpose too. Oil cooler - I started leveraging fcp, just too much track fun and offs with that thing sitting in clear line of fire, that blasting it out and cleaning at some point stops working well, given the small surface area.

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X