No announcement yet.

Warm up time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does that have to do with you sitting in your car for 5 minutes before driving off?
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Manual states: wait 20sec and drive. I follow that, and keep below 3k until oil temps up (roughly 10mi).

Why is cold start so damn lumpy up front. Certainly not enjoyable. Assume emissions something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Exclusivs View Post
        Manual states: wait 20sec and drive. I follow that, and keep below 3k until oil temps up (roughly 10mi).

Why is cold start so damn lumpy up front. Certainly not enjoyable. Assume emissions something

I actually like the slightly temperamental cold start. It should be smooth but a little alive if that makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Icecream View Post

I actually like the slightly temperamental cold start. It should be smooth but a little alive if that makes sense.
          Maybe

Or maybe a us cats in headers thing

Comment

Originally posted by Exclusivs View Post

Because the timing is literally retarded (overly PC people, eat your hearts out) to help heat the cats and incrementally moves towards normal over the course of a minute or so. The exact duration I am unsure.

Comment

If anyone with a CSL conversion wants an absolutely perfect cold start and great cold characteristics with higher duration cams, get in touch with paulclaude. The improvement after he adjusted the cold start maps in my DME was spectacular. He noticed too much cold start enrichment

Actually, all starting in general is now absolutely perfect, cold or warm.
              '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Originally posted by beefaroni View Post

Because the timing is literally retarded (overly PC people, eat your hearts out) to help heat the cats and incrementally moves towards normal over the course of a minute or so. The exact duration I am unsure.
                Exactly this.
                One of the reasons alone id love to go euro headers or others ...

Comment

Well I've been doing it wrong.
                  I don't drive it until the oil temp starts to move. That can take 15 to 20 minutes. We really pour maple syrup into these engines so it worries me but hey, if you guys aren't spinning bearing doing this, I'm all for not contaminating my oil with gas.
                  This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                  https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post
                    We really pour maple syrup into these engines
                    Which is exactly why you want to drive it straight away. Oil pump is mechanically driven so lower rpm = lower oil pressures. Then there's the added benefit of actually circulating oil everywhere and getting all the parts in the engine up to temp at the same time, instead of creating a temperature gradient (and thermal expansion gradient).
                    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Which is exactly why you want to drive it straight away. Oil pump is mechanically driven so lower rpm = lower oil pressures. Then there's the added benefit of actually circulating oil everywhere and getting all the parts in the engine up to temp at the same time, instead of creating a temperature gradient (and thermal expansion gradient).
                      I assumed the thickness of the oil creates a couple bar. I didn't want to drive with too much oil pressure which causes issue in and of itself. Rod bearings aren't properly protected at high or low oil pressure. I also know idling isn't great for cars so I'll just drive it within a couple minutes. 20 seconds seems a little early to start driving. I'll go to my neighboring BMW techs and see if they know why the manual says that.

Comment

I've been thinking about this post.

I have a 950 idle rpm and oil pressure is not an issue. The thickness creates more than enough oil pressure. Cars typically have 4 to 5 times the warm idle oil pressure when started cold. Loading the engine at super high oil pressure is not a good thing to do. On the flip side, idling isn't the best for an engine either. I'd say a 3 to 5 minute wait would be good enough to start warming everything up but not soak the oil in gas. Idling at a stop light with the oil at temp is probably the worst thing we can do to our engines. That is when oil pressure is at its lowest.

On a cold start, oil is everywhere in a couple seconds. I'd say, waiting 3 minutes or 10 minutes will probably not have much different results. Waiting 20 seconds or 30 minutes will probably cause very minor wear. Gas will get in the oil from on that engine idle time. After 4k miles my oil smelt a lot like gas. Just avoid stop and go traffic as much as possible.

Comment

The highway is within walking distance from me. So if I'm about to drive my car on the highway from a cold start, I usually allow 2 extra minutes until the warm up bars start dropping.

Comment

20 seconds seems a little early to start driving.

DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                            /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                            More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post

I'm pretty sure that's emissions related. Our cars are great smog factories. Doesn't apply if you ain't got cats.

Our cold start pressure is probably close to 100 psi with how thick that oil is. I doubt you're decimating you're engine if you drive after 20 seconds. Redline coldstart like the Youtubers love to do if that's your thing. Their cars seem to survive... usually.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that's emissions related. Our cars are great smog factories. Doesn't apply if you ain't got cats.

Our cold start pressure is probably close to 100 psi with how thick that oil is. I doubt you're decimating you're engine if you drive after 20 seconds. Redline coldstart like the Youtubers love to do if that's your thing. Their cars seem to survive... usually.
                                The factory S54 oil pump has a regulated pressure of 4 bar (58 psi). On cold start idle oil pressure will be ~3.52 bar (52 psi) and when driving at higher rpm the oil pressure will be regulated to 4 bar (58psi).

Warm idle oil pressure is ~18-20psi.
                                Last edited by DanAvoN7; 12-21-2020, 09:39 PM.
                                SF Bay Area Vanos, Rod Bearings, Inspection II, etc. Services : Member Feedback
                                E46 M3 Track Videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/DanAvon

Comment

Working...
                                X