No announcement yet.

*Official* Comments from Strangers Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been pulled over by a cop once because I'm pretty sure he just wanted to see my car. Said I have a nice car so I should put a front plate on it and not have to worry about being pulled over in the future. Let me off with a warning.

A lot of people at gas stations ask how much I paid, which I never answer

My local In-N-Out had(?) (been living outside of Cali for 5 years now) a bunch of young car guys working there and they'd always talk cars and hook it up (extra food) at the drive-thru lol

Comment

I've recently been getting a lot of "that's the best car BMW ever made" and "BMW went downhill after the early 2000s" type comments.

Wonder if it has anything to do with the new M3/4 and the new 2 series (and most new BMWs honestly)
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
        I've recently been getting a lot of "that's the best car BMW ever made" and "BMW went downhill after the early 2000s" type comments.

Wonder if it has anything to do with the new M3/4 and the new 2 series (and most new BMWs honestly)
        I've been getting those comments almost the whole time I've had mine, usually "that's the last real BMW worth having." Lately it's either kids who revere the car, or old guys who say (as one did recently) "Nice E46! I miss mine. Sold two of them. Best car I ever had. What year? How many miles? Looks great, haven't seen one that clean in a while." You know you've got a real one when people who have owned and sold them regret it.

I get the same with my E5E -- a kid (early 30s I'd imagine so kid is the wrong word) recently chased me down to ask if it was a 500E and told me it "has to be the cleanest one on the East Coast" which I had to think about because like this car tons of owners are out west. He might be right, I'm not sure, but his comment stuck with me because it means he's seen others. Most people have never heard of the car.

I really love the "young" enthusiast crowd these days... reminds me of me back when I was buying, before NLA parts were a thing.

maw

Comment

Someone at a traffic light told me that I had the cleanest m3 he’d ever seen. I was on the way home from a retailer so I’d hope it was clean 🤣

Comment

First week having the car in 03, Lapalma pd rolls up next to me and young cop said you must pull all the ladies in that thing.

Dumped on gold LMs in glendale, old guy in a modded TT following me, got annoyed, slowed down and said sup? "Did you do that?" Yeah bro it's my car I did it. Looks great! Thanks.

Stuck in traffic on Sunset at night, two white kids in a modded supra made a U-turn "that's the hardest m3 I ever seen" pointing, said thanks fellas.

"You still got that thing?" - girl who was crushin on me for years after the car was 5-6 years old 😂
            2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

So, just to confirm, the car used to be on the road at one point?
              DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
              /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
              More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                So, just to confirm, the car used to be on the road at one point?
                It's taken several hiatuses 😂
                2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Tennessee checking in: What model Ford/Chevy/Dodge is that?

I'm kidding. I get lots of conversation about this car, lots. Can't pull into a gas station without having to explain it.
                  3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Got one of those "we buy junk cars" business cards left on my car today, does that count? Honestly they're not far off lol
                    http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                    '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                    '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Not too many comments, but do get quite a few thumbs up when I'm out cruising around. Most of the time, it's people that simply want to race.

Comment

I live in Los Angeles so I see M cars every day. Tons of F8x, starting to see more G8x, sometimes see E9x, maybe every other week I’ll see another E46. I don’t street drive my E46 that much anymore but I get thumbs up or some sort of acknowledgement from all kinds of people pretty much every time I do. I think the LSB is particularly noticeable.

G8x are dick heads
                        F8x are usually dick heads if they’re stock. Tuned ones tend to be cool and interested in the E46.
                        E9x dudes usually give a head nod, definitely if they are modified.
                        E46 guys are always stoked to see another one.

Going on canyon drives the E46 usually gets more attention at turn outs than pretty much anything else. Which is funny because that wasn’t the case 5 years ago.

A couple years ago I ran into Matt Farah in the canyons while he was filming a One Take. He checked out the E46 and kind of talked down about it, saying “I bet you had to pay a couple grand for sub frame and a couple grand for vanos huh?” Now a couple years later he has paid dumb money for a boring low mileage TiAg example.

I get “we buy junk cars” cards when I park in my neighborhood too lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearhead55 View Post
                          A couple years ago I ran into Matt Farah in the canyons while he was filming a One Take. He checked out the E46 and kind of talked down about it, saying “I bet you had to pay a couple grand for sub frame and a couple grand for vanos huh?” Now a couple years later he has paid dumb money for a boring low mileage TiAg example.
                          Is that really talking down if it's the truth? lol. I guess it depends on how he said it. obviously he knows the "hype" about them since he did end up dropping a load of money on the low miles example.
                          "your BMW has how many miles!?"

2003 (2/03) M3 coupe Imolarot/Black 6 M/T - JRZ RS One 450/550 - Ground Control Street - SDW RTAB - TMS Street ARCA - Redish V2 - TMS solid subframe bushings - Volk Racing G2 18x9.5 - StopTech ST40 355 (coming soon) - Beisan Systems VANOS parts - WPC OE rod bearings - Karbonius CSL airbox - Kassel MSS54HP DME - Kassel MAP sensor - Euro headers and Section 1 - SuperSprint Sport - Recaro Speed - Schroth Rallye 4 QF - AS 30% SSK

build/journal
                          ig: @zzyzx85

Comment

Originally posted by Gearhead55 View Post
                            What is really dumb about those comments from Matt is that he should understand almost every reasonably high performance sports car built has some warts and a few of those warts will be expensive if you own the car long enough. Could be he was trying to establish he has some degree of understanding about the flaws within our cars to get some street cred since god knows there is no way that sloth works on his own vehicles.

3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by zzyzx85 View Post

Is that really talking down if it's the truth? lol. I guess it depends on how he said it. obviously he knows the "hype" about them since he did end up dropping a load of money on the low miles example.
                              Originally posted by oceansize View Post

What is really dumb about those comments from Matt is that he should understand almost every reasonably high performance sports car built has some warts and a few of those warts will be expensive if you own the car long enough. Could be he was trying to establish he has some degree of understanding about the flaws within our cars to get some street cred since god knows there is no way that sloth works on his own vehicles.

It was definitely the way he said it, not so much the content. It was years ago so I don’t remember exactly what he said but the implication was that E46s were not worth buying because they needed so much money spent on them to bulletproof them. He’s had negative comments about them in the past so I think it’s telling that he speaks so highly about them now that the general consensus in the car community has come around to them being a classic and being greater than the sum of their parts.

And yea he may have just been trying to show that he had knowledge of the car and was unintentionally condescending in his presentation.

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post

Sloth LOL!!!

"I bet" stfu matt farah. So what, you gotta pay to play and it's funny coming from a rich guy since the money doesn't matter. Obviously it's expensive and maintaining any sort of vintage bmw is a futile exercise in fiscal responsibility.

Comment

Working...
                                X