Solid Mount Short Shifters: CAE / IRP / RTD / AAF / Coolerworx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by selm3 View Post

Never heard of them. I like the concept if it fitting in the stock location. But any info on the company or anyone with first hand experience?
    They are a new shop it appears. 2019. They partnered with Morehead Speedwerks to test the shifter...morehead is more well known and they seemed very positive about the product. Kinematic appears to really only have a few products so far...

Comment

Originally posted by deeznutz972 View Post
      Love my rtd but any suggestions on how to reduce the trans heat? It’s melting my center trim haha
      Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.
      2003 AW/BLK 6MT - Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by jareds941 View Post
        Well, here's a new one just coming to market that is pretty interesting to me. I'm considering taking the risk and pulling the trigger. US made, seems like they've considered the issues with others on the market and tried to improve upon it. Thoughts?

BMW performance parts that push the envelope of customer expectations by incorporating innovative designs with OE construction methods. Based in Charlotte, NC, all research, development, design, assembly, warehousing, and customer services remain in house.

Funny I was just about to post this same link. I'm tempted too...
        2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
        2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::

Comment

I like the integrated boot they added. Sadly this will have the same issues I have with CAE\clones on a street car.

Comment

I had auto solutions shifter and changed to RTD race version shifter .
            the shifter is very nice but couldnt do a real solution for heat which Transfer inside the car plus the shifter rod it’s self get warm when driving .

The road noise it’s my 2nd problem I can hear everything underneath the car lol .

went back to auto shifter shifter since

Comment

Originally posted by Icecream View Post

I have SMG on the M3, . But my experience with BMW shifters and the 420 has left me less than impressed, at least with stock parts. I'm really just trying to convince myself to swap and go the solid mount route for simplicity . I just can't tolerate the tuner/hack look. You're probably right though, I suppose all new bushes and a traditional ssk will probably give it a nice feel.
              I'm with you. I didn't want to have some giant crazy looking shifter sticking up out of the center console. I ended replacing my stock shifter with an e60 bmw part number #25117546373. keeping the stock shifter (non-ZHP), and replacing all the bits with factory new parts and it's been great. I don't like the super notchy super short-throw shifter, at least on a street car.
              E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
              Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
                I ordered a Coolerworx Pro (will install in the next month, dealing with smog and few other things at the moment). From what I heard from folks who have run CAE/RTD and the Coolerworx one, Coolerworx is closer to quality of a CAE for the price of an RTD. I got the direct fit plate, so hopefully that will simplify the installation. They are in Europe, but shipping was pretty fast. It has lockouts for R/5/6.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

did you install yet?
                Waiting for that review...

Comment

Originally posted by sc_tr0jan_m3 View Post

Funny I was just about to post this same link. I'm tempted too...
                  Well, I pulled the trigger on the pre-sale price for the Kinematic Speed option. Should ship in a couple weeks (2.15) and then I'll look into installation...I've never messed around with anything in this zone, so we'll see if I can figure it out myself or if I'll have to pay for it. I hope they provide some decent installation materials. There's a local shop where you can rent a bay with a lift by the hour...might just be worth it for this install I'm thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by jareds941 View Post

Well, I pulled the trigger on the pre-sale price for the Kinematic Speed option. Should ship in a couple weeks (2.15) and then I'll look into installation...I've never messed around with anything in this zone, so we'll see if I can figure it out myself or if I'll have to pay for it. I hope they provide some decent installation materials. There's a local shop where you can rent a bay with a lift by the hour...might just be worth it for this install I'm thinking.
                    i've heard from one of my buddies who also ordered that they solved a lot of the installation woes from the CAE and others. that seems to be the biggest upside of this new product.
                    2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
                    2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::

Comment

i've heard from one of my buddies who also ordered that they solved a lot of the installation woes from the CAE and others. that seems to be the biggest upside of this new product.
                      Well, considering pre-order pricing was $600 if the installation is easier (they do directly mention contained fasteners as one way it is easier) then I'll be quite pleased if it also drives well. Doesn't have the reverse lockout function, but honestly not too concerned about that.

Comment

Are those woes about the CAE design in general, or having to carve shit up in E46 cars?
                        '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Question for those with an RTD mini, when in neutral your shifter is centered correct? Not to the right and off centered like some have experienced?

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post

Are those woes about the CAE design in general, or having to carve shit up in E46 cars?
                            I watched a few installation videos. Def need to get the alignment perfect which is difficult considering CAE doesn’t use stock mounting points.

With that said, people who tried both CAE and shifters like RTD prefer CAE.
                            2002 Jet Black · 6MT · Cinnamon · CSL Tribute

Engine · Karbonius CSL Airbox · CSL DME · Kassel MAP · Paul Claude Tuned
                            Exhaust · SS Stepped V1 · SS 2.5 Res Sec 2 · SS Sport Sec 3
                            Suspension · JIC Cross/ZMS RS coilovers · GC Weight Jackers · SDW RTAB · Corner balanced
                            Wheels/Brakes · BBS E88 18" x 9.5" / 10.5" · Michelin Pilot Sport 4S · 996 Brembo BBK
                            Exterior · Mile End CSL bumper · OE CSL trunk · Mile End CSL diffuser · OE LED taillights
                            Interior · Avin Avant 4 · Llumar Air 80 Tint

Comment

Originally posted by Gearhead55 View Post
                              So I am about to replace the motor and trans mounts in my car. I have the AKG shifter and I am debating on whether I should go with OEM trans and motor mounts or something stiffer. I would like to keep NVH as low as possible since I street drive the car relatively frequently. I am leaning toward OEM for both, though theoretically you should stiffen the trans mounts when using a solid mounted shifter, right? I also have heard that the trans and motor mounts should match density. I would love to hear peoples opinions about what to use.

Curious on this as well. I installed 95A motor/trans mounts along with my RTD shifter and I hate them. Even on a track focused car the vibration is too much for me. Wouldn’t mind going back to stock, or near stock you can with a solid shifter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Jevi Javi View Post

did you install yet?
                                Waiting for that review...
                                It's been in the car for a few weeks, however, car's been on jackstands for a while now (partially why I'm not as active on the forum lately). Started with smogging (intake/exhaust/e85/etc), then I dove in to replace a few front mounts/bushings, then discovered that my diff was a bit fried, so been working on replacements, then I dove into solid rear subframe bushings, other bushings, looking for the right bushing press/cup/sockets for while in there parts, some parts on backorder, etc.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X