Solid Mount Short Shifters: CAE / IRP / RTD / AAF / Coolerworx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The OCTANE Weighted Selector Rod (WSR)
    Rogue Engineering is proud to introduce the most technologically advanced short shift kits available for BMWs. At Rogue, we realize that simply shortening the shift lever or moving the pivot point will not produce optimal shift feel. The smooth action that sets the OCTANE short shift kit apart from the others comes from our unique Weighted Selector Rod.

With the RE Weighted Selector Rod, you can enjoy the benefits of a short shifter while improving shifter smoothness and virtually eliminating the gearbox notchiness and gear whine that is associated with some manufacturers kits.

Rogue has this idea which might reduce the notchiness and increase smoothness. But I'm curious why it isn't a DSSR.
    '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

I'm a bit skeptical the heavier selector rod does that much, I made one out of SS (just because that's what I had on hand) on a car of mine and I didn't notice a difference. DSSR or not doesn't seem to make much difference either, the key to removing play when I made mine was to match the pins to the holes in the transmission and lever as close as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Icecream View Post

The coolerworx short shifter does look better (still prefer a slightly less tuner look), I don't see a UUC self centering option though. With how sloppy the OEM shifters feel I guess I'd want one of these anyway. Has anyone done a direct comparison to this and the UUC kit?
        My car is a 6MT that was done within the last few years and probably less than 10k miles. It doesn’t seem too sloppy and the self centering seems solid. I say this because it may be worth it to refresh the bushings and such in your car if it’s original.

Comment

Originally posted by jareds941 View Post

My car is a 6MT that was done within the last few years and probably less than 10k miles. It doesn’t seem too sloppy and the self centering seems solid. I say this because it may be worth it to refresh the bushings and such in your car if it’s original.
          I have SMG on the M3, . But my experience with BMW shifters and the 420 has left me less than impressed, at least with stock parts. I'm really just trying to convince myself to swap and go the solid mount route for simplicity . I just can't tolerate the tuner/hack look. You're probably right though, I suppose all new bushes and a traditional ssk will probably give it a nice feel.
          Last edited by Icecream; 12-30-2020, 07:05 PM.

Comment

CAE guys, are you all on solid engine and tranny mounts?

Just put solids in and its a little rough lol Debating if I can be fine without them.
            2003.5 Titanium Silver / Black 6M/T (Gone)
            2003.5 Carbon Black / Laguna Seca Blue SMG (Dusted)
            2004 Carbon Black / Black SMG converted to 6M/T(Current)

Comment

Originally posted by lapoune View Post
              I have both a RTD (the one with the smaller base and no lockout) and a CAE and end result is about the same once adjusted properly. RTD fits with no modifications, but leaves the hole in the tunnel open (have not looked at solutions for this since I don't care on the car it's on). The CAE comes with a kit to close it up.

For a street car with semi frequent use I dislike both of them, the high shifting effort is just annoying. Wish there was a solution with the same precision but smoother\lower shifting effort and a shorter lever. Shortening the lever as it is doesn't work as then the effort required just gets stupid.
              The RTD mini lever might help a little, It's 300mm compared the the race version which is 360mm.

Comment

Originally posted by staylurking View Post

The RTD mini lever might help a little, It's 300mm compared the the race version which is 360mm.
                i actually found it to be the opposite. The tall race shifter was easier to shift than the short one.
                Instagram: @_Frank_Stone_

Comment

The effort and the notchiness increases the longer the arm is below the pivot (the part of the arm you cant see that connects to all the shifter linkage in the tranny tunnel). To counteract that, a longer arm is required above the pivot so your effort of shifting doesn't become too uncomfortable. Think of using longer vs shorter breaker bar.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Love my rtd but any suggestions on how to reduce the trans heat? It’s melting my center trim haha

Comment

Originally posted by deeznutz972 View Post
                      Love my rtd but any suggestions on how to reduce the trans heat? It’s melting my center trim haha
                      Got pics of the melting?

Comment

Originally posted by Feffman View Post
                        I have the CAE and it reminds me of an extremely high quality bolt-action rifle the way it shifts. I can't speak to the others but when I sat in a friend's car with the CAE, prior to installation in my car, I went home and ordered it immediately.

Feff
                        Thats exactly how I would describe mine and, oddly enough, the same experience I had with trying a friend’s. After I rowed the gears in his car I had to have one.

Also, since someone asked, I run mine with Rogue trans mounts and they have been problem free for 3+ years now.
                        Last edited by nervous24; 12-31-2020, 06:00 PM.
                        2003.5 Carbon Black ///M3 @_weaponM
                        MCS | Supersprint | CAE | TC Design | Momo | Schroth | Rogue | Turner | Bimmerworld | Vorshlag | Hyperco | AKG

Comment

There's also 2 new shifters from PSDesigns at 2 different heights. I have no experience with these but curious from someone who has it. Looks similar to RTD.

300mm: http://www.psdesignsglobal.com/_shop...-300mm-height/
                          360mm: http://www.psdesignsglobal.com/_shop...-360mm-height/
                          2002 Jet Black · 6MT · Cinnamon · CSL Tribute

Engine · Karbonius CSL Airbox · CSL DME · Kassel MAP · Paul Claude Tuned
                          Exhaust · SS Stepped V1 · SS 2.5 Res Sec 2 · SS Sport Sec 3
                          Suspension · JIC Cross/ZMS RS coilovers · GC Weight Jackers · SDW RTAB · Corner balanced
                          Wheels/Brakes · BBS E88 18" x 9.5" / 10.5" · Michelin Pilot Sport 4S · 996 Brembo BBK
                          Exterior · Mile End CSL bumper · OE CSL trunk · Mile End CSL diffuser · OE LED taillights
                          Interior · Avin Avant 4 · Llumar Air 80 Tint

Comment

So I am about to replace the motor and trans mounts in my car. I have the AKG shifter and I am debating on whether I should go with OEM trans and motor mounts or something stiffer. I would like to keep NVH as low as possible since I street drive the car relatively frequently. I am leaning toward OEM for both, though theoretically you should stiffen the trans mounts when using a solid mounted shifter, right? I also have heard that the trans and motor mounts should match density. I would love to hear peoples opinions about what to use.

Comment

Well, here's a new one just coming to market that is pretty interesting to me. I'm considering taking the risk and pulling the trigger. US made, seems like they've considered the issues with others on the market and tried to improve upon it. Thoughts?

BMW performance parts that push the envelope of customer expectations by incorporating innovative designs with OE construction methods. Based in Charlotte, NC, all research, development, design, assembly, warehousing, and customer services remain in house.

Comment

Originally posted by jareds941 View Post
                                Well, here's a new one just coming to market that is pretty interesting to me. I'm considering taking the risk and pulling the trigger. US made, seems like they've considered the issues with others on the market and tried to improve upon it. Thoughts?

BMW performance parts that push the envelope of customer expectations by incorporating innovative designs with OE construction methods. Based in Charlotte, NC, all research, development, design, assembly, warehousing, and customer services remain in house.

Never heard of them. I like the concept if it fitting in the stock location. But any info on the company or anyone with first hand experience?

Comment

Working...
                                X