No announcement yet.

Solid Mount Short Shifters: CAE / IRP / RTD / AAF / Coolerworx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Kinematics shifter arrived. Looks and feels great in hand. I started the install today...but probably won't have it in for a few days.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7611.JPG
Views:	1274
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	87948
    Last edited by jareds941; 02-28-2021, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eegstwozero View Post

Curious on this as well. I installed 95A motor/trans mounts along with my RTD shifter and I hate them. Even on a track focused car the vibration is too much for me. Wouldn’t mind going back to stock, or near stock you can with a solid shifter.

For the record, I went with OEM replacement motor and trans mounts. The NVH feels like refreshed stock and the shifter still feels great. Still felt great at the track.

Comment

Originally posted by deeznutz972 View Post
        Love my rtd but any suggestions on how to reduce the trans heat? It’s melting my center trim haha
        Use an E30 insulation boot its smaller than E46 but kind of annoying to get on.

Comment

Got it installed...still need to work on cutting the boot to fit this new shifter. Did a short test drive and loving the shifter. So crisp and short with the shifts. It's pretty loud with each shift, which is perfect for race/track car. I'll have it on track in about a month.

Name:	IMG_7624.JPG
Views:	1216
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	87950 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7628.JPG
Views:	1237
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	87951 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7623.JPG
Views:	1231
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	87952 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7626.JPG
Views:	1563
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	87953

Comment

That kinematic shifter looks nice. The side stops would be great for smg swaps and I prefer the look/simplicity without the reverse lockout. Good seal to the trans tunnel and simplified install are big pluses. Morespeed made a motor Mount that would pair well with the akg metal cup + e30 trans mount too

Comment

Originally posted by BlAikenstein View Post
              That kinematic shifter looks nice. The side stops would be great for smg swaps and I prefer the look/simplicity without the reverse lockout. Good seal to the trans tunnel and simplified install are big pluses. Morespeed made a motor Mount that would pair well with the akg metal cup + e30 trans mount too
              I’ve got the bimmerworld “group N” motor mounts and stock trans mounts for now. The stock mounts are like new, and so far so good. I’ll know at the track for sure if there seems to be an issue but Kinematic indicates upgraded isn’t necessary. And yes, the rubber seal is solid.

What do you mean with regard to the side stops and SMG swaps? Just curious as I don’t know enough about that to understand it.

Comment

Originally posted by jareds941 View Post

I’ve got the bimmerworld “group N” motor mounts and stock trans mounts for now. The stock mounts are like new, and so far so good. I’ll know at the track for sure if there seems to be an issue but Kinematic indicates upgraded isn’t necessary. And yes, the rubber seal is solid.

What do you mean with regard to the side stops and SMG swaps? Just curious as I don’t know enough about that to understand it.
                One of the pluses of using these solid mount track shifters is you can set the side stops perfect for 1st and 3rd alignment. Being able to line up those gates gives you the option of skipping the bell housing modification since you don’t need the detents to get into the right gear.

Comment

Originally posted by BlAikenstein View Post

One of the pluses of using these solid mount track shifters is you can set the side stops perfect for 1st and 3rd alignment. Being able to line up those gates gives you the option of skipping the bell housing modification since you don’t need the detents to get into the right gear.
                  Ah ok. The side stops on this are for 5/6 and reverse. 3/4 is lined up by adjusting the centering bolt. In my short test drive my only "issue" was needing to get used to the distance (or lack of) from 3>2. Otherwise, everything was really nice. 3 / 4 and 2 >3 were super clean.

Comment

For any with an RTD shifter and worried about the Trans tunnel putting too much heat. I did what someone suggested and invert and slightly cut the boot. It worked perfectly.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Install looks great. I have mine here sitting waiting to be installed. I wish KinematicSpeed would have made a DSSR to go with their shifter kit. How are you liking the shifter so far?

Comment

Originally posted by ASAed330 View Post
                        Install looks great. I have mine here sitting waiting to be installed. I wish KinematicSpeed would have made a DSSR to go with their shifter kit. How are you liking the shifter so far?
                        I literally only have driven it the 1x. I'd never driven a car with a solid mount shifter before...I'm happy with it though. Can you tell me what the DSSR is? Does it change the overall throw length? I'd assume you could use another brand DSSR couldn't you? I don't think I'd want to change it at this time.

Comment

I literally only have driven it the 1x. I'd never driven a car with a solid mount shifter before...I'm happy with it though. Can you tell me what the DSSR is? Does it change the overall throw length? I'd assume you could use another brand DSSR couldn't you? I don't think I'd want to change it at this time.
                          Yeah any DSSR would work with the Kinematic shifter unless there's something drastically werid about the design. I recommend AKG.
                          '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

I would use AKG as well since I dislike UUC. Any DSSR will work.

Comment

To close the loop on my Kinematic install...I snipped a few stitches on one of the seams of the boot and it fit nicely.

Name:	IMG_7666.JPG
Views:	1344
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	91705 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7664.JPG
Views:	1203
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	91706

Comment

Originally posted by Tonggi View Post
                                For any with an RTD shifter and worried about the Trans tunnel putting too much heat. I did what someone suggested and invert and slightly cut the boot. It worked perfectly.
                                Was that with the factory e46 m3 boot?

I was looking at this IRP trans sealing boot, any idea if it work with an RTD?

Comment

Working...
                                X