Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cobra View Post

WOW! Thats so bad.
    All four of the middle cylinders had the bearings sticking to the crank, and you can see that they have contracted compared to 1 and 6. Its a miracle that nothing spun and that the crank was smooth.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleSidedTape View Post
      These were especially awful. 05 ZCP with 99k.
      That was close. Any chance you have a Blackstone report before those were changed? Curious to see the numbers if you have them.

Comment

I'd love a synopsis of driving/service habits since the cars inception for each set of these rod bearings. The massive variance in mileage spreads doesn't give us any remotely conclusive information.

Without any data these pics don't really mean much, they're just a collection of engine internals to look at like paintings on a wall.
        2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by mtpktz View Post

That was close. Any chance you have a Blackstone report before those were changed? Curious to see the numbers if you have them.
          Nope, I bought the car last fall and drove it home from California, and took it apart over the winter to overhaul everything. Here are the two reports from right after the bearing change (I also ended up replacing the cams and followers because one of the followers had been worn flat). I have driven about 1500 miles since the last oil change and it seems to drive really well, I'm waiting for about 2000 miles on this oil before I change it again and do another report.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
            I'd love a synopsis of driving/service habits since the cars inception for each set of these rod bearings. The massive variance in mileage spreads doesn't give us any remotely conclusive information.

Without any data these pics don't really mean much, they're just a collection of engine internals to look at like paintings on a wall.
            Sounds like you're the perfect person to spearhead this 👍
            '04 LSB Coupe 6MT
            All my money goes towards maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by dukeofchen View Post

Sounds like you're the perfect person to spearhead this 👍
              Give me a time machine.
              2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Nope, I bought the car last fall and drove it home from California, and took it apart over the winter to overhaul everything. Here are the two reports from right after the bearing change (I also ended up replacing the cams and followers because one of the followers had been worn flat). I have driven about 1500 miles since the last oil change and it seems to drive really well, I'm waiting for about 2000 miles on this oil before I change it again and do another report.
                So basically the oil report didn’t tell you anything. Guess it’s worth just calling it an 80k-100k maintenance item like the old internet group think always said.

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post

So basically the oil report didn’t tell you anything. Guess it’s worth just calling it an 80k-100k maintenance item like the old internet group think always said.
                  No, OP's oil report was after he changed the bearing.

Comment

All four of the middle cylinders had the bearings sticking to the crank, and you can see that they have contracted compared to 1 and 6.
                    #1 and #6 are King and Queen bearings -- they are lazy and don't work that hard.

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post

My post on the first page of this thread includes 6 reports over 30k miles on my previous m3 before I changed the bearings. I bought it at 150k, but the engine was not original to the car, so even though I had a fairly comprehensive service history for that car, I knew nothing about the status of the bearings.

For my current m3, like I said earlier, I bought the car, drove it home, and pretty much immediately took it apart to do all of the big 3 as well as some other work. I took a sample of oil from before the change but I don’t know if I still have it. In any case, I didn’t send it in for analysis.

Comment

The PO of my car was an older lady and they owned it for nearly 20 years, she never went above 4000rpm. I’m on original bearings at 160k and still going!

Comment

Most of these bearings dont look all that bad at all. The S65 and S85 guys are laughing at us.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanE46 View Post

The PO of my car was an older lady and they owned it for nearly 20 years, she never went above 4000rpm. I’m on original bearings at 160k and still going!
                            Do you know the condition of the bearings?

Comment

Originally posted by thetypicalm3guy View Post
                              Most of these bearings dont look all that bad at all. The S65 and S85 guys are laughing at us.
                              This and vanos are the most over-hyped things on internet fora.

Comment

This and vanos are the most over-hyped things on internet fora.
                                It's overhyped til it happens to you!

Comment

Working...
                                X