No announcement yet.

Front strut brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a gorgeous piece. I think a few members have that, I want to say Tbonem3 has one.

I too like how the center section is removable.
    Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

I don't have the removable center, by choice - I prefer as rigid as possible, but it is a pita to do engine work.
      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
        I don't have the removable center, by choice - I prefer as rigid as possible, but it is a pita to do engine work.
        I get that. Though the removable joints they use seem to be the same type (or better) that's used to join two pieces of roll-cage tubing in those high dollar Porsche, Ferrari, etc. "removable" cages. Probably almost a moot point as far as stiffness goes.

Now that I've said that, you'll probably point me to their website showing a material difference in measurable stiffness. Gonna go figure out how to expand my # of posts per page viewing settings 😋

Comment

I have it...in storage 😂
          2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
            I have it...in storage 😂
            This is me not surprised 😶

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post

This is me not surprised 😶
              Man, I LOVE that Topaz car in your sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Mayan-Viking View Post

Edit: LOVED.

We speak of that color in past tense terms from here on out. Update your profile pic Casa de Mesa .

Comment

Originally posted by Mayan-Viking View Post

Originally posted by WestBankM4 View Post

Edit: LOVED.

We speak of that color in past tense terms from here on out. Update your profile pic Casa de Mesa .
                  Ha! Fair enough. I'm on it!

Comment

I love my aluminum Mason bar.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalFlushness View Post

Thanks for the information. I wonder what the best approach will be for me since I ordered the DMG with the flat 100% contact and my 01 shock tower is naturally mushroomed. Perhaps source and modify some polyurethane washers and get it as flush as possible before bolting it up.

Good ideas here. I’d buy a sheet of delrin that’s just a tad too thick and sand it down.

Comment

Bought a DMG, haven't put it on yet but I opted for one solid piece, no joints.

Had some engine electrical gremlins that look to be sorted now, so I'll probably end up putting it on. Like others said, engine work is more of a pain.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

Modified my Rogue Engineering brace (great product by the way) to be able to remove the center section. Cut the brace (photo 1), the purchased tubing connectors (photo 2)
                          and spliced them in with tig welding. Final photo is a quick spray paint to get me through Summer. Over the Winter I'll pretty up the welds, media blast the entire bar and have it re-powder coated.

Feff

Click image for larger version

Name:	Strut Cuts.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	317.7 KB
ID:	172482

Name:	Tubing Connectors.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	172481

Name:	Strut Brace Redesign.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	172480
                          MVP Track Time

Comment

I think making the front end stronger is a good thing. Most of all to keep the strut towers intact. I do want to tie the strut towers into the roll cage until then I am sticking with the OE bar.

I made a CF front reinforcement plate to add some stiffness to the front end. It is much stiffer than the aluminum part.

Is it noticeably stiffer? Does it make a difference? Hard to say. Haven't had enough time testing it. Not even sure how to quantify the result to determine if its better. Maybe I should get less wear on the outer edges of the tire? Let me know if anyone has ideas. For now...I made it, I'm proud if it, and I'm running it!

It is 2.5lbs lighter that the stock part. It is 9 layers of carbon. Might be able to be more strategic on how I lay up the part and use a core and save maybe 1 lb.
                            Last edited by bigjae46; 06-17-2022, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Feffman View Post
                              Modified my Rogue Engineering brace (great product by the way) to be able to remove the center section. Cut the brace (photo 1), the purchased tubing connectors (photo 2)
                              and spliced them in with tig welding. Final photo is a quick spray paint to get me through Summer. Over the Winter I'll pretty up the welds, media blast the entire bar and have it re-powder coated.

Feff

Name:	Strut Cuts.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	317.7 KB
ID:	172482

Name:	Tubing Connectors.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	172481

Name:	Strut Brace Redesign.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	172480
                              Looks good Feff, glad you were able to get it sorted.
                              2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

It is 2.5lbs lighter that the stock part. It is 9 layers of carbon. Might be able to be more strategic on how I lay up the part and use a core and save maybe 1 lb.
                                this is killer! Did you build a mold for it to make it?

Comment

Working...
                                X