No announcement yet.

Agreed upon value insurance policies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As far as I understand my Grundy policy, I can drive it to work and actually use it as a car, it’s just not supposed to be my daily. It’s like $350 a year for $45k valuation. They ask what daily you have and who it’s insured with and check to make sure you don’t have more than one violation over the past five years or so (somehow I qualify .. 🙄 ). After that initial application and check I just do the renewal every year and it seems to be honor system that the car isn’t driven every day.

I’d love to move my E39 M5 over as well and call my fiancée’s CX-5 the daily, which it essentially is especially over winter, but not sure they allow it to be shared. This thread is reminding me that I need to ask. I pay like $1500 for full coverage on that car that they’d probably pay half its value for.

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post
      As far as I understand my Grundy policy, I can drive it to work and actually use it as a car, it’s just not supposed to be my daily. It’s like $350 a year for $45k valuation. They ask what daily you have and who it’s insured with and check to make sure you don’t have more than one violation over the past five years or so (somehow I qualify .. 🙄 ). After that initial application and check I just do the renewal every year and it seems to be honor system that the car isn’t driven every day.

I’d love to move my E39 M5 over as well and call my fiancée’s CX-5 the daily, which it essentially is especially over winter, but not sure they allow it to be shared. This thread is reminding me that I need to ask. I pay like $1500 for full coverage on that car that they’d probably pay half its value for.
      I've asked Grundy that same question just last week and this was their reply:

"We would consider your 2008 BMW Z4 M Coupe as long as it is used for collector purposes like car shows, car club events, and pleasure cruising. If it is used as a backup driving vehicle, for racing, running errands, etc then it would not qualify."

Comment

Originally posted by Xmetal View Post

I've asked Grundy that same question just last week and this was their reply:

"We would consider your 2008 BMW Z4 M Coupe as long as it is used for collector purposes like car shows, car club events, and pleasure cruising. If it is used as a backup driving vehicle, for racing, running errands, etc then it would not qualify."
        yeah that's exactly how my policy is defined. but that's fine with me. i drive it barely 500 mi a year and its almost always for crusing.

Comment

Grundy's reply sounds very loosely worded. Is cars and coffee a car club event? If you get gas for your pleasure drive and get dinged at the Costco parking lot, how does that look to Grundy?

Comment

Originally posted by Epsilon View Post
            Grundy's reply sounds very loosely worded. Is cars and coffee a car club event? If you get gas for your pleasure drive and get dinged at the Costco parking lot, how does that look to Grundy?
            Agreed - most of these "collectible car insurance" are worded similarly. It's probably intentional loosely worded in their favor. How would anyone prove that you're on a pleasure drive vs running errands? I mean, I take great pleasure in driving my car on open backroads. I just happened to take a very long break at work in the middle of my fun backroad drive
            Last edited by Xmetal; 02-25-2021, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xmetal View Post

Agreed - most of these "collectible car insurance" are worded similarly. It's probably intentional loosely worded in their favor. How would anyone prove that you're on a pleasure drive vs running errands? I mean, I take great pleasure in driving my car on open backroads. I just happened to take a very long break at work in the middle of my fun backroad drive
              yeah theyre all worded this way. honestly my buddy hit a deer and destroyed the front of his mcoupe and they didnt bat an eyelash

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

I got a quote from American Collectors Insurance the other day. $30k agreed value and 7500 mi per year —with some occasional use allowed— came out to right around $1.1k. I am under 25 though, so that number might be a bit high because of that.
                Well my current policy ends at the end of the month and I'm looking to switch to an agreed value policy. Gave American Collectors Insurance a call and was ultimately denied because I don't own another vehicle to use as a daily driver.

Thing is, I don't need a daily. I walk to work (well I did when things were normal) and walk to most other places too. I live in a densely populated city, so even if I wanted to drive somewhere, the pain of finding a place to park outweighs the practicality of driving. The M3 gets driven exclusively for pleasure, all my other transportation is done by walking or getting on the subway or calling an uber or whatever. All right, rant over.

Anyone have experience getting an agreed value policy without another car to list as a daily? I'll give the "regular" insurance providers that also offer agreed value policies a call (State Farm, Progressive, etc.), but I have a feeling I'll be told the same thing from them.
                2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

ive been on grundy since 2015. I pay around 460 a year in california for a agreed value of 30k for my 05 m3 with 52k miles. They never once asked me for a mileage update, and have very nominally raised the rate (probably has gone up about 100 bucks in these 6 years). I havent had to use them, and I hope I never do.

I got them though, because my buddy with a 2000 mcoupe had them. He hit a deer hard and destroyed his car. They made him whole again with minimal fuss and didnt spare any expenses in the repair. That's when I decided I also want to have coverage through them

Comment

Again. Try Safeco. I recommended a friend and he loved my agent who has been phenomenal from day 1. Each rep is different obviously but if you’re going to shop around, give Safeco or your nearest broker a call for it.

Comment

$75k. But I'm in Aus...

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Well my current policy ends at the end of the month and I'm looking to switch to an agreed value policy. Gave American Collectors Insurance a call and was ultimately denied because I don't own another vehicle to use as a daily driver.

Thing is, I don't need a daily. I walk to work (well I did when things were normal) and walk to most other places too. I live in a densely populated city, so even if I wanted to drive somewhere, the pain of finding a place to park outweighs the practicality of driving. The M3 gets driven exclusively for pleasure, all my other transportation is done by walking or getting on the subway or calling an uber or whatever. All right, rant over.

Anyone have experience getting an agreed value policy without another car to list as a daily? I'll give the "regular" insurance providers that also offer agreed value policies a call (State Farm, Progressive, etc.), but I have a feeling I'll be told the same thing from them.
                        I got the same thing with Hagerty. I take public transport to commute, have a primary car too. But denied because both me and spouse each need a primary commuter car. Then they will insure the collectable car. So redundant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Grundy here on LTW / 951, was about 1k cheaper than Hagerty for the year, same coverage.

Comment

I have Grundy. $60,000 agreed value on the M3, $40,000 on the M5, up to 5000 miles per year for each. It’s costing me ~half what normal insurance was costing me before I switched over, and that wouldn’t pay out nearly as much, so win win… unless I want to drive more than 5000 miles.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                            2012 LMB/Black 128i
                            2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Looks like I need to switch to Grundy next year. Hagerty has me at $800 a year and $28k valuation. Perfect driving record and over 40

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                                I have Grundy. $60,000 agreed value on the M3, $40,000 on the M5, up to 5000 miles per year for each. It’s costing me ~half what normal insurance was costing me before I switched over, and that wouldn’t pay out nearly as much, so win win… unless I want to drive more than 5000 miles.
                                how the heck did you justify 60k to them on the m3? I wonder if I need to revisit the valuation on mine... obviously not 60k but maybe raise it from 30

Comment

Working...
                                X