Has anyone put a weighted ZHP ship knob in their E46 M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone put a weighted ZHP ship knob in their E46 M3

I was looking at this one. But it may not be the best option?

That’s is not a zhp shift knob. That is a m5 shift knob. Major difference is this is illuminated and zhp one is not.

Comment

Ive put that one in my m3. Looks and feels much nicer than original stock. I ended up using the original boots by doing some cutting. But it looks absolutely oem and feels solid

Comment

Originally posted by James31 View Post
        That’s is not a zhp shift knob. That is a m5 shift knob. Major difference is this is illuminated and zhp one is not.
        I guess that I should have said ZHP type of shift knob.

Comment

Originally posted by yhp2009 View Post
          Ive put that one in my m3. Looks and feels much nicer than original stock. I ended up using the original boots by doing some cutting. But it looks absolutely oem and feels solid
          Great to hear. Thanks.

Comment

I've also placed one in mine a few years ago, and I like it as well. If I remember correctly, you will have to remove the base frame it comes with and get creative with the one from the M3 to make it fit.

Comment

One of my first mods I did when acquiring my car was this mod, although mine was not illuminated. Have been satisfied since day 1 with the mod. Feels great and wouldn't ever change it back to stock. I bought the weighted ZHP knob from a member on the old m3forum site and bought an Alcantara boot from ECS Tuning.

I do remember when I was searching up DIY, some people experience really stuck knobs when pulling it out.

Comment

I’m running the non-lit zhp knob and e46 zhp leather boot to match. Got mine long before the f10 came out

Comment

I initially used the boot that comes with the illuminated shift knob. But found it to be a mismatch in fit and finish. Ended up just cutting the illuminated knob out of the boot assembly and attaching it to the original boot and frame. I generally followed this thread except i used stock boots by cutting the stock knob off: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...zhp-shift-knob

Comment

Yes, but I much prefer the M Performance knob.

Comment

My car originally had a ZHP knob on a Dinan short-shifter when I bought it and it was so insanely short the knob was level with the center console trim. It was like a Miata. I ended up swapping to an e60 bmw short-shifter and a standard height Illuminated shift-knob and am really happy with it. I'd imagine if you kept the standard shifter but swapped to the ZHP knob it would be similar height, sorta like a real 330i ZHP which is fantastic - having owned one.
                      E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
                      Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread
                      Melbourne Red e93m3

Comment

Ive had mine since 2014 and I love it.

Comment

does this one come with the boot?

Comment

Originally posted by jowo View Post

does this one come with the boot?
                            Yes it does.

Comment

Technically the F10 M5 shift knob is taller than the original ZHP knob. I think they weigh the same.

Anyways, I did this mod back in 2013, it's since been replaced with a stock E90 shift knob.

Once you add a real SSK to this car, the weighted knob becomes obsolete.
                              2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                              2005 BMW ///M3
                              Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
                              2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                              2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                              2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Working...
                              X