Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do some people prefer the broomstick E46 M3 shift knob over the ZHP shift knob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BBB View Post
    I have a ZCP right now, and I plan to get the broomstick once I install an SSK. I like having more leverage with longer shift lever and having the shifter closer to the steering wheel. The ZCP is more of a knob than a lever.
    You have a ZCP what exactly? Your model is a ‘02 so there’s no Competition Package offered.
    Either way there no difference in shift knobs on the manual E46 M3s afaik.
    6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

In case anyone was curious, the heavier / taller one (https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ob-25117896884) is the same height as the OEM broomstick. OEM weighed in around 3.1 oz, and the linked one weighed in around 5.8 oz. I remember when looking to never find a clear answer on how the height compared between the linked one and the OEM one - so maybe this helps someone one day.

Comment

Originally posted by old///MFanatic View Post
        You have a ZCP what exactly? Your model is a ‘02 so there’s no Competition Package offered.
        Either way there no difference in shift knobs on the manual E46 M3s afaik.
        The ZCP style knob (per the discussion thread).
        Big Booty Betty - '02 E46 M3 Coupe

Comment

It's a ZHP knob brotha
          2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
          2005 BMW ///M3
          Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
          2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
          2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
          2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

idk, the broomstick is kinda comfortable to drive with.
            Instagram: @_Frank_Stone_

Comment

Another reason BMW might have chosen the taller shift knob was to make the shifter easier to operate when the center armrest is down.

Speaking of the center armrest, does anyone know a way to increase the resistance to pull down the armrest? Under heavier braking, it likes to fall down. I prefer keeping it in case of long drives, but might eventually have to get the armrest delete center console.
              Last edited by Slideways; 02-28-2023, 11:55 AM.

Comment

There is no unique ZCP (Competition Package) knob.
                6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
                  Another reason BMW might have chosen the taller shift knob was to make the shifter easier to operate when the center armrest is down.
                  The M3 stock “gooseneck” is only a tad over 0.5” (half an inch) taller than the weighted “zhp” knob. So I don’t see that as a likely reason.

Comment

Messing up on my codes 🤦‍♂️ understood.
                    Big Booty Betty - '02 E46 M3 Coupe

Comment

Slightly OT, but does anyone know the physical differences in the RHD vs LHD broomstick shift knob?

Don’t have the car with me at the moment so I can’t check if anything is asymmetrical with the shift boot.

TIA

Comment

Originally posted by jrgatfh View Post
                        Slightly OT, but does anyone know the physical differences in the RHD vs LHD broomstick shift knob?

Don’t have the car with me at the moment so I can’t check if anything is asymmetrical with the shift boot.

TIA
                        They have different part numbers since the broomstick has an integrated boot and the shape of the boot where it clips into the gear surround is assymetrical. Quite clearly seen on the LHD version in the picture below. The RHD version is obviously flipped.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	c1F6WZ1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.0 KB ID:	208998
                        Last edited by Thoglan; 03-09-2023, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoglan View Post

They have different part numbers since the broomstick has an integrated boot and the shape of the boot where it clips into the gear surround is assymetrical. Quite clearly seen on the LHD version in the picture below. The RHD version is obviously flipped.
                          Click image for larger version Name:	c1F6WZ1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.0 KB ID:	208998
                          Ok that’s what I suspected. Thanks for confirming!

Comment

The E60 M5 knob was perfect for me (5'10") until I moved to aftermarket seats that sit much lower, may have to try a ZHP knob, I had not wanted to go there as I don't necessarily like how the short ZHP knob is and with a 40% AS kit the taller E60 or stock knob helps a bit in making more deliberate shifts and not making a mistake potentially imo.
                            2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                            Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                            Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                            RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                            Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by bagger View Post
                              In case anyone was curious, the heavier / taller one (https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ob-25117896884) is the same height as the OEM broomstick. OEM weighed in around 3.1 oz, and the linked one weighed in around 5.8 oz. I remember when looking to never find a clear answer on how the height compared between the linked one and the OEM one - so maybe this helps someone one day.
                              I picked up one of these to try out. It's a nice height and I like the additional leverage...but it just doesn't feel as solid as the ZHP "shorty" knob. It also doesn't snap in like the ZHP either. it's a little too easy to slide off the shift lever (might be a AutoSolutions shifter problem)
                              "your BMW has how many miles!?"

2003 (2/03) M3 coupe Imolarot/Black 6 M/T - JRZ RS One 450/550 - Ground Control Street - SDW RTAB - TMS Street ARCA - Redish V2 - TMS solid subframe bushings - Volk Racing G2 18x9.5 - StopTech ST40 355 (coming soon) - Beisan Systems VANOS parts - WPC OE rod bearings - Karbonius CSL airbox - Kassel MSS54HP DME - Kassel MAP sensor - Euro headers and Section 1 - SuperSprint Sport - Recaro Speed - Schroth Rallye 4 QF - AS 30% SSK

build/journal
                              ig: @zzyzx85

Comment

Originally posted by zzyzx85 View Post

I picked up one of these to try out. It's a nice height and I like the additional leverage...but it just doesn't feel as solid as the ZHP "shorty" knob. It also doesn't snap in like the ZHP either. it's a little too easy to slide off the shift lever (might be a AutoSolutions shifter problem)
                                yea might be a shifter problem because i have the same knob and mine has resulted in a good bonk to the face
                                2002 TiAg M3 Coupe (SMG to 6spd), 2003 Jet Black M5

https://www.instagram.com/individual_throttle_buddies/

Comment

Working...
                                X