Karbonius

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post

I started with ITG and now run OEM filter and haven't noticed a difference.
    What made you change?

Comment

Originally posted by Mattn1192 View Post
      What made you change?
      I thought the ITG filter was letting debris into the filtered section due to fitment issues but instead my airbox itself had the fitment issue and was of debris behind the air filter which Karbonious has since corrected in future production runs and will fix mine if I send it back to them.
      2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
      Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
      Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
      RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
      Instagram

Comment

Good to hear re: the change looking forward to it.
        2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post

I thought the ITG filter was letting debris into the filtered section due to fitment issues but instead my airbox itself had the fitment issue and was of debris behind the air filter which Karbonious has since corrected in future production runs and will fix mine if I send it back to them.
          Huh, I guess I always just assumed they wouldn't bother. I've been using foam molding to fill up the space, but if Karbonius is willing to fix / exchange the airbox, that'd probably be worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

That's why I'm not running the ducts.

It's in the OE location on the clean side of the filter. Not the best picture, but the first one I found in my library where you can see it:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1319.jpg
Views:	887
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	108317
            Is there something fancy about the material the real CSL box uses there? My IAT on my karbonius reads significantly above ambient. Like 40+ higher.

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post

Huh, I guess I always just assumed they wouldn't bother. I've been using foam molding to fill up the space, but if Karbonius is willing to fix / exchange the airbox, that'd probably be worth it.
              Yea part of my ITG filter is in the gap. I will likely send my box over to them this winter though. They sent me this picture of the "repair".
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201112-082835_Gmail.jpg
Views:	626
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	108676 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201112-082844_Gmail.jpg
Views:	623
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	108677

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post

Is there something fancy about the material the real CSL box uses there? My IAT on my karbonius reads significantly above ambient. Like 40+ higher.
                Nothing obviously fancy, from looking at it. But, it's ~ambient when I'm in motion, in that location.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i
                2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Nothing obviously fancy, from looking at it. But, it's ~ambient when I'm in motion, in that location.
                  Is the sensor bung made of plastic or aluminum in the genuine CSL piece? The Karb box uses aluminum.
                  '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post

Is the sensor bung made of plastic or aluminum in the genuine CSL piece? The Karb box uses aluminum.
                    Just went out to look. It's kind of hard to tell without scratching it (not willing to do that), but I believe it's plastic.

... mine is also not "genuine CSL"-- it was made by the company that made them for BMW, and, in the case of mine, before the CSL came out.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                    2012 LMB/Black 128i
                    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Under certain conditions, you will find that the stock CSL IAT location tends to see higher temps than when located elsewhere, I assume this is due to the close proximity to the oil filter housing. However, as long as you have adequate cold air ducting to the mouth of the airbox (commonly from bumper duct), temps should come down to within a few degC of ambient when the car is moving on the road. On my own dyno, I tend to add some extra ducting to the mouth of the airbox to direct some additional air and keep IAT stable for tuning - my main cooling fan doesn't direct airflow too well to the side bumper openings.

Comment

Originally posted by paulclaude View Post
                        I assume this is due to the close proximity to the oil filter housing.
                        Paul,

The heat to the IAT is coming mainly from the 11blade 420mm fan clutch when it
                        engages. Depending on the temp in the dyno room the fan clutch comes on and off
                        on and off.

The BMW fan clutch rotates Clockwise when you sit in front of the car.That
                        said it pushes all of that hot air which is sucked from the radiator directly to
                        that exact area, filter housing, IAT sensor, and the front part of the box were the
                        IAT is mounted. Ones the hood is closed things are getting for the worst because
                        that hot air gets stuck under the hood.

Behr fan clutch engages at around ~90C and it shuts down at around ~60-75C
                        even when it shuts down the "free-rotation" is still directing hot air to the box then
                        the fan clutch cycles.

At 79/80C T stat on S54 and with the Vanos map for Cold start the engine temp
                        is very quickly up so that emissions are met and under the hood a lot of heat is stored.
                        My cup of tea is to delete this option not my cup of tea to so see the temp of the engine
                        to raise that fast.

I like to mount the sensor closer to the head light so its away from the fan clutch
                        heat.

On the S54 cooling system the Hot water exit from the Intake side right under the ITBs.
                        All of that heat quickly goes up in the ITBs and transfers that heat to the box, yes the
                        rubber boots don't transfer much heat but still does heat up the box.

Vents on the hood for sure helps to reduce engine bay temps.

Regards,
                        Anri
                        Last edited by Anri; 06-07-2021, 06:30 AM.
                        https://www.instagram.com/euroclassicmotors/.

www.euroclassicmotors.com

Comment

Originally posted by Anri View Post

Paul,

The heat to the IAT is coming mainly from the 11blade 420mm fan clutch when it
                          engages. Depending on the temp in the dyno room the fan clutch comes on and off
                          on and off.

The BMW fan cutch rotates Clockwise when you sit in front of the car.That
                          said it pushes all of that hot air which is sucked from the radiator directly to
                          that exact area, filter housing, IAT sensor, and the front part of the box were the
                          IAT is mounted. Ones the hood is closed things are getting for the worst because
                          that hot air gets stuck under the hood.

Behr fan clutch engages at around ~90C and it shuts down at around ~60-75C
                          even when it shuts down the "free-rotation" is still directing hot air to the box then
                          the fan clutch cycles.

At 79/80C T stat on S54 and with the Vanos map for Cold start the engine temp
                          is very quickly up so that emissions are met and under the hood a lot of heat is stored.
                          My cup of tea is to delete this option not my cup of tea to so see the temp of the engine
                          to raise that fast.

I like to mount the sensor closer to the head light so its away from the fan clutch
                          heat.

On the S54 cooling system the Hot water exist from the Intake side right under the ITBs.
                          All of that heat quickly goes up in the ITBs and transfers that heat to the box, yes the
                          rubber boots don't transfer much heat but still does heat up the box.

Vents on the hood for sure helps to reduce engine bay temps.

Regards,
                          Anri
                          Anri,

Good point - hot airflow from the radiator clutch or other fan will certainly be an influencing factor. I agree that the IAT mounting towards the headlight negates the problem, although isn't exactly ideal as really you want the ECU to see the actual air temp in closest proximity to the throttle body openings as possible. However, although this is definitely an issue while stationary or in a dyno room, I don't think the location is much of a problem when the car is moving on the road as long as long you have a solid cold air feed to the mouth of the airbox. With the cold feed, IAT reading always seems to come down to within a few C of ambient from my own testing as previously mentioned.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by paulclaude View Post
                            I don't think the location is much of a problem when the car is moving on the road as long as long you have a solid cold air feed to the mouth of the airbox. With the cold feed, IAT reading always seems to come down to within a few C of ambient from my own testing as previously mentioned.Paul

Hi Paul,

Ideal always cost money and them often don't get it...

A CSL box or even std box to example. Nice custom snorkel which will be
                            insulated to suck air via pipe from outside the engine bay sort of "ram air" is
                            the way to go. The pipe must be absolute sealed so it does not leak air or
                            allow engine bay air to be blended...as the speed goes up say 40km/h+
                            the air is already being forced. The best place to have the IAT mounted
                            is in the custom pipe which will be located outside of the engine bay.
                            The IAT will get soaked by outside actual temp and its a win win.

During tune a small and very powerful fan should simulated
                            the road speed as good as it can get. Big fan should be used for the radiator
                            to maintain coolant temps in acceptable value. I have tested on the Dyno
                            if I direct a small fan on the intake the oxygen content goes up because
                            the air is now being forced and boom 6-7rwhp gain with minor touch on
                            the map table.

We know the coolant temperature is far more important than the few
                            degrees being improved on the IAT. One area I never liked on S54
                            is that the hot water exit is on the Intake side...that is very bad because
                            you are heating up the Intake path and who needs the 95C+ when driven
                            with anger heat to come outside from intake side ?...(I have a fix for that but
                            way to long to explain)

The BMW Engineering behind this has single benefit in the slant engine as ours
                            are. If there is any Air in the system by say leaky hose or any error in the cooling the air
                            will escape much easier away from the cylinder head and air will not get stuck in the system.
                            I would never ever trade this maintenance versus hot water going thru the intake side...

On S54 when the water enters the block it goes around the cylinders and being
                            forced to take the heat from the Exhaust Valves and pushes the water via the intake
                            side. The cylinder head gasket has restrictors so that the water flows from the exhaust
                            side and being forced to go across the cylinder head and will exit on the intake side.

On L6 Bank-2 always runs hotter and the EGT will always show higher on 5-6cyl.
                            A trick I always do is when temps go up on 5-6cyl I reduce the timing by say 0.5-1 degree
                            and add very little more fuel so that they will balanced the heat.

Sorry for the long reply but there is so much to say and consider when one start
                            asking for proper performance..

Regards,
                            Anri
                            Last edited by Anri; 06-08-2021, 08:27 PM.
                            https://www.instagram.com/euroclassicmotors/.

www.euroclassicmotors.com

Comment

I have an issue at idle speed, just letting off clutch (no gas pedal input) and moving down the driveway the RPM's will surge and the vehicle "bucks" or "jerks" as the RPM's rapidly move up/down.

I am running the flap and have my IAT located down at the very bottom of the snorkel near the brake duct area. I wonder if maybe the DME is getting confused by pulling cold temps from my IAT location but the flap is closed at idle thus the airbox is pulling it's air from smaller rear hole which is pulling nothing but extremely hot engine bay air.

Might be something to that, I used to have ducting from the rear hole to the brake duct so it would pull colder air but have since done away with it, I want to say the same issue occurred then as well.

Might just be a dirty ICV which I forgot to clean during airbox install or possibly TPS(s).

Instagram

Comment

You're overthinking this.

I'd start with replacing both tps, sounds like your throttle input is not getting output correctly.
                                2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Working...
                                X