If you ever had to replace your e46 M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lapoune View Post

Don't be too worried, IMO these things are absolute bargains. I have a GT350R and in terms of driving experience its almost as good as 991.2 manual GT3 (I use them both on\off track). I don't see what else can touch it anywhere near the price. R might be a bit much for road use, but just goes to show that suspension\tire setup is everything when you're judging a car's handling. A boat is the last word I would use to describe that car.

I think a nicely setup standard GT350 with backseats would make an awesome daily, I could go on forever about how great these things are...

It is very different from a E46 of course...depends what you're goals are
    Awesome! I'd love to get R but prices are outrageous. I really don't think I can be disappointed with it either, I am fairly open minded to other cars and enjoying their good attributes. I do have a hard time believing its a boat too, just not possible. I think what really did me in on the M3 is covid and the shutdowns. The roads were wide open for a long time and I had some extra time on my hands and absolutely had a riot with the M, destroying a set of Michelins in the process. Every on ramp was WOT, I could stretch its legs, carve up some canyons, drift a little on abandoned roads and generally put the car through its paces regularly and no one was around to spoil it! Now i'm bored with it and want to try something new but not new.
    Last edited by Icecream; 04-19-2021, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lapoune View Post

Don't be too worried, IMO these things are absolute bargains. I have a GT350R and in terms of driving experience its almost as good as 991.2 manual GT3 (I use them both on\off track). I don't see what else can touch it anywhere near the price. R might be a bit much for road use, but just goes to show that suspension\tire setup is everything when you're judging a car's handling. A boat is the last word I would use to describe that car.

I think a nicely setup standard GT350 with backseats would make an awesome daily, I could go on forever about how great these things are...

It is very different from a E46 of course...depends what you're goals are
      What I couldn’t get over was the driver’s position and view in the mustang. Do you enjoy it or find that aspect just part of the deal when owning a mustang or similarly a camaro (camaro is worse however)?
      3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

For what it's worth, my father's friend owns a GT350R. He has driven every car under the sun, from the F40 to the Carrera GT, literally everything you can imagine, and absolutely loves that 350R.
        Last edited by 01SG; 04-20-2021, 03:25 AM.

Comment

I sold my E46 M3 twice now. I went to different cars just to learn that I missed the E46 M3, on my 3rd one and it isn't being sold. If I wreck the M3, I doubt I would pay the premium they are going for. I can't think of a replacement for the M3, probably would walk away from the car hobby for a while and travel more.

What the M3 does these days. Tail of the Dragon is less than 2 hours way from me, it took me close to 10 hours with stops, hikes, breweries, winery, pictures, etc. The M3 is the perfect combination of looks, quick enough, tossable and oh the glorious carbon box noise.

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post

What I couldn’t get over was the driver’s position and view in the mustang. Do you enjoy it or find that aspect just part of the deal when owning a mustang or similarly a camaro (camaro is worse however)?
            I don't have an issue with the driving position personally, I'm pretty short so I can easily get the seat low enough and they fit me very well. Everything else is absolutely wonderful about the physical controls, like the small steering wheel or the shifter feel (I would say easily on par with the porsches for that, wish I could get my Ms like that). Never been in a Camaro.

Originally posted by Icecream View Post

Awesome! I'd love to get R but prices are outrageous. I really don't think I can be disappointed with it either, I am fairly open minded to other cars and enjoying their good attributes. I do have a hard time believing its a boat too, just not possible. I think what really did me in on the M3 is covid and the shutdowns. The roads were wide open for a long time and I had some extra time on my hands and absolutely had a riot with the M, destroying a set of Michelins in the process. Every on ramp was WOT, I could stretch its legs, carve up some canyons, drift a little on abandoned roads and generally put the car through its paces regularly and no one was around to spoil it! Now i'm bored with it and want to try something new but not new.
            I wouldn't worry about a non-R, the important differences would be easy to replicate and closer to non-R might be better for your use anyway.

I think the boat comments are mainly because these cars are now designed with much much higher capabilities than something like the M3 once was. The speed at which the cars feel enjoyable and nimble moves up. I see a lot of comments about lusting for gt3's but they're in the same boat, at street speeds they kind of drive like trucks (exaggerating of course), and the speed limit comes up entirely too fast.

So much depends on your particular use and the roads you drive I would try to evaluate exactly what your looking for in this car and go from there.
            Last edited by lapoune; 04-20-2021, 07:40 AM.

Comment

The new GT3 is absolutely amazing (or at least what I can tell from all the YT videos) but that six figure price tag is absolutely disturbing.

Comment

2007 Lotus Exige S

Comment

Depends on the circumstances of the replacement, but an RS5 would be interesting

Comment

Z4 M Coupe, E90 M3, 987.2 Cayman, GT350, C7 Grand Sport, maybe CT4-V Blackwing?
                    2003 Imola Red M3 w/ SMG

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                      Torque is the primary reason I find the e39 M5 boring to drive compared to the M3s. No involvement to get the power, just mat the throttle any time. Similar to EVs, turbos, and automatics 😴
                      Not to mention the steering wheel/seating position. I know it’s more of a luxury car but simply couldn’t get over that aspect.

Beautiful car. I still want one. But e46 m3 ftw.

Comment

I wouldn't. I waited years before I could afford to add something to the E46 M3 instead of replacing it. Simply put, it is one of the most masterful all-around cars ever made. Despite owning an NSX and R8, I often find myself grabbing the keys to the M because it is so practical, comfortable and yet super fun to drive. After all these years, it still gets compliments all the time. There is just an understated elegance about it.

M3F and now this forum seems obsessed with the GT3. I cross-shopped the 997.2 GT3 w/ the V10 R8 5 years ago and opted for the R8. I would love to try out the Porsche sometime down the line but not at the expense of selling the M3. The M is a keeper. If you know, you know.

Comment

E28 S54 or k swaped

Ae86 fully build 4age or k swap.

Maaaayyyybe eg awd k swap

See a pattern

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

An e64 08-10 m6 convertible.

Comment

Easy

718 Cayman GT4

Comment

Late to the show but I am contemplating consolidating the e46 M3 and m235i into an M2 Comp. But then I drive the e46. Constant battle of trying to be practical vs keeping cars that will never be made again.

Also a note on 997 base - engine may be nothing particularly special but the chassis and overall car and driving experience is amazing and very rewarding. Porsches have a way of giving you a very rewarding experience even with less power.

Comment

Working...
                                X