No announcement yet.

If you ever had to replace your e46 M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

996 GT3 or GT4 but they are 3x the price of my e46 and I don't think they are 3x the car. The e46 M3 really checks all the boxes for me.

I do acknowledge the GT3 will appreciate significantly in the 10 years...
    2005 M3 - SGM, 6MT, Impuls Cloth, Slicktop
    2022 M3 - BRG, Tartufo, xDrive​

Comment

At the crazy prices - the gap to an M2 isn't much. Tempting. I like the gen 1 M2, sounds better than the m3 motor.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	bb nsx 2.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	104915

Comment

I’m on my third E46 M3 and I still think that it a classic. But I would love to experience a Aston Martin DB9 coupe. I think that it is one of the sexiest cars on the road. Maybe one day.

Comment

I bought a 2021 STI new, to replace a daily driver Camry I had. For a while, I thought I'd sell the M3 and the STI would "replace" it. Now, the STI is likely going for sale. The more the M3--and myself--age, the more I really appreciate the car. STI is great, but, not a replacement. For the longest time I would say I'd replace the M3 with some sort of P-car, but, with pricing where it is, it's likely not going to happen. The R8 is an interesting proposition, and some of the RS cars, but where I"m at, I don't want to re-learn some new vehicle, or pay the premium.

Comment

GT3 or R8 V10 MT?

I've driven both. Very different but both have their respective benefits. I can make the case either way. In terms of owning a rare commodity, which holds the value best as they age? Should that question even matter?

Comment

I like the looks of the new RS3. Anyone driven one?

Comment

Checked new supra for replacement my M3 but I couldn’t do it . lol m3 is still better in my eyes

Comment

Since selling my last e46, I've had a 911, Macan turbo (lol-not a sports car replacement but the best family car I've ever had), a 6th gen camaro SS 1LE, and an M2 Comp (F87).

The camaro is the closest as far doing everything well like the e46. Really good chassis, awesome engine, just don't look at the cheap plastic interior. The whole “you can't see out of it” is overblown-its fine.

M2 Comp is fun but only when you are wringing it's neck and driving like an idiot. It's not fun just driving.

The e46 feels special all the time - nothing modern compares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    2004 Silver Grey - Manual - Slick top - Manual Cloth Seats

Comment

Probably would try the new BRZ to be quite honest. I heard great things.

Comment

Hard to imagine replacing my e46. I love exciting engines, and nothing near the price point is as exciting as an s54 with a csl airbox. My car is also has the big 3 done, so running costs are pretty low.

I have really been wanting to try a 911 (likely 996 for budget reasons). But would sell my e36 track car before thinking of moving my e46. But then I read of horror stories of the m96 engines that make the s54 seem like a Honda...

Comment

Originally posted by Lavatoad View Post
                          Hard to imagine replacing my e46. I love exciting engines, and nothing near the price point is as exciting as an s54 with a csl airbox. My car is also has the big 3 done, so running costs are pretty low.

I have really been wanting to try a 911 (likely 996 for budget reasons). But would sell my e36 track car before thinking of moving my e46. But then I read of horror stories of the m96 engines that make the s54 seem like a Honda...
                          The s54 is pretty low running cost once you spend a weekend locking it down. I’m at nearly 350,000 s54 miles at this point, and never had an expensive issue.

Only bites you if you ignore the weak points and wait for failure to do anything.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                          2012 LMB/Black 128i
                          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

If I sell one of my E46 M3 it will be for a Datsun 240z! Not that they are that expensive but I don’t have storage space available at home anymore so one car will have to go. I would sell my X3 M40i anytime but doubt the 240z would be a great daily with Canadian winter…
                            2001 BMW E46 M3 Laguna Seca / M-Texture 6mt
                            2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
                            2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

I would love a Lotus Esprit or Boxster Spyder, but those are not M3 replacements. Being such a great all around car, the only one that I think can beat the M3 in its own game is the 06-17 V8 Vantage. The early ones are perhaps the greatest deal in enthusiast cars today. It is a (relatively) affordable, usable, and repairable exotic. It blows my mind that people will pay more for a garden-variety 911.

And even then, the M3 can take such a beating. It is easy to repair and find parts for. Plus it can easily shed a good amount of weight, whereas the Aston cannot.

Comment

Right now, realistically…a 2015 Jaguar FType R with rwd.

Comment

Working...
                                X