Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GB for SLON Workshop CF Rear bulkhead, which can (optionally) be a back seat delete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man I kind of want this thing again but the whole slightly reversible aspect of it still bothers me.
    2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
      That's great news, if it pans out!
      Remove a sliver of sound deadening today and this is how it all fits now:
      ​​​​​
      Click image for larger version

Name:	20230523_202648.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	243.8 KB
ID:	218959

Name:	20230523_202835.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	218960

Name:	20230523_202851.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	218961

It's not 100% behind the cups, but I think I'm okay grinding back that last mm or so.

Also brace still isn't fully seated. It's interfering a bit with the seam sealer on the sides. I need to removed absolutely everything along the bonding surface before the final test fit. Then I'll be able to see exactly how much I need to grind back from the plates.

Won't be for a while though. Decided to still go with the SikaForce 7888 L10 because the floor panel next to the cups isn't fully flat and I like that it still retains a good amount of strength at higher thicknesses. However, I was unable to find a place that would sell in the US or ship to the US, so have had to resort to buying the BMW branded stuff. We'll see when that arrives since it seems to be backordered everywhere.
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

What's the BMW PN for that? Sounds like a solid choice.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i
        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

What's the BMW PN for that? Sounds like a solid choice.
          83190417144. Just be aware that it only has a shelf life of six months.

Also, talked to Vince and he agreed that shaving off whatever interferes from the front cups wouldn't be a problem.
          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

83190417144. Just be aware that it only has a shelf life of six months.

Also, talked to Vince and he agreed that shaving off whatever interferes from the front cups wouldn't be a problem.
            Hmm... I wonder if that would fit in my 3M injection gun.

When you do it, let us know how many of 83190417144 you need?

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Yeah, definitely. This is the same adhesive that BMW uses on their roofs. TIS says that you need one 600mL cartridge for replacing the CSL roof, so I'm pretty sure one cartridge will be enough for the Slon wall as well.

I'll take pics and share when I get this thing installed. Fortunately the most annoying part is done (sound deadening removal). Now all I need to do is remove the interior, mask stuff, wire wheel all bonding surfaces down to bare metal and bond the thing in. Should be able to get it done in a day once I receive the adhesive.

Comment

Well, order just got cancelled because BMW part is supposedly NLA.

I did find one Belgian shop (Pierre et Sol) that has the Sika branded adhesive in stock and ships to the US (half the price too), so hopefully that works out.

Comment

That's great news. I need to get off my ass and finish this

Comment

Still haven't gotten my adhesive

Vendor said they're getting it from Sika on July 5th, so won't be doing the install for a while still. Will update here when I do though

Comment

Well, order just got cancelled because BMW part is supposedly NLA.

I did find one Belgian shop (Pierre et Sol) that has the Sika branded adhesive in stock and ships to the US (half the price too), so hopefully that works out.
                      Just got this in the mail today. Expires in Oct, so will have the brace installed before then.

It's also a lot more than I expected. I'm used to the much smaller 3M cartridges. There's no way I'm going to need the entire thing. MAF for scale:

Name:	20230712_111217.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	225213

Comment

Just got this in the mail today. Expires in Oct, so will have the brace installed before then.

It's also a lot more than I expected. I'm used to the much smaller 3M cartridges. There's no way I'm going to need the entire thing. MAF for scale:

Name:	20230712_111217.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	225213
                        You should install a carbon roof at the same time. Savings

Comment

... think it fits in the normal 3M gun?

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                          2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

You should install a carbon roof at the same time. Savings
                            This absolutely did cross my mind, but I don't think I can get one in time

... think it fits in the normal 3M gun?
                            I highly doubt it, the footprint of this is significantly larger.

Comment

Shitty pic, but this is the type of applicator you need for the Sika adhesive Obioban​​​​:

Name:	20230724_190641.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	226500

Gonna try to get this installed this week or next. Will post pics and impressions when I do.

Comment

It's in!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230803_195652.jpg Views:	105 Size:	121.6 KB ID:	227951

Adhesive expires in October and I still have like 2/3 left. If anyone wants it shoot me a message.

Edit: adhesive is gone
                                Last edited by heinzboehmer; 09-21-2023, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X