X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bavarian3 View Post
    Awesome thread. Why the full repaint?
    The previous owner cheaped out - everywhere. He had it Macco'ed respray. Everything on the car, just tape, and no wet sand afterwards - it's overspray, pin holes and orange peel city.

Comment

Originally posted by Epoustouflant View Post

The previous owner cheaped out - everywhere. He had it Macco'ed respray. Everything on the car, just tape, and no wet sand afterwards - it's overspray, pin holes and orange peel city.
      Are you doing a color change or keep it PY?
      2001 BMW E46 M3 Laguna Seca / M-Texture 6mt
      2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
      2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

Originally posted by Gt4 View Post

Are you doing a color change or keep it PY?
        When considering the money involved, and the fact this is a keeper, I decided on a color change after all. Considerations for value and numbers matching are out of the window.

My intention is giving the keys to my father as a retirement gift, or rather a lifetime achievement award! He's been the best father I could have asked for - least I can do.

Comment

What's the new color? Or is that top secret
          '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post
            What's the new color? Or is that top secret
            It's a shade of blue

We started tearing into the shell today, but gave a first symbolic scuff.

PY is getting sanded away to dust.

Attached Files

Comment

Atlantis Blue would be cool as hell if you want to keep it with a BMW color. That and Calypso Red are my faves personally. This should be cool to see regardless of which color you pick. A truly GOOD paint job is a big undertaking and pretty expensive. Not to mention a full color change. I've seen some 25k paint jobs that look like trash in person lol.

Cool to hear you want to gift the car to your dad, too.
              http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
              '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
              '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
                Atlantis Blue would be cool as hell if you want to keep it with a BMW color.
                Just don't mistake the "s" for a "c": https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=842479
                2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

YUP I remember that story lmao.
                  http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                  '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                  '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

It's a shade of blue

We started tearing into the shell today, but gave a first symbolic scuff.

PY is getting sanded away to dust.
                    First I'm happy to hear that the car will be color changed!!

Second I'm even happier to hear it will be a shade of blue!! 😁

Can't wait to watch this unfold.
                    Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
                      Atlantis Blue would be cool as hell if you want to keep it with a BMW color. That and Calypso Red are my faves personally. This should be cool to see regardless of which color you pick. A truly GOOD paint job is a big undertaking and pretty expensive. Not to mention a full color change. I've seen some 25k paint jobs that look like trash in person lol.

Cool to hear you want to gift the car to your dad, too.
                      Thanks dude! I've worked with that shop quite a bit in the past. This is my first complete color change on a personal car with them.

It's a huge undertaking for sure. Both subframes off, complete tear down of the underbody and all windows are coming out.

We're going for OEM level: everywhere there was coats of paints, this will have some. Lots of areas had slight overspray and not complete coverage: the firewall section, the interior, the trunk - etc.

We'll match that.

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Just don't mistake the "s" for a "c": https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=842479
                      To think this is now prized! What a shame that experience was for the original owner.

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post

First I'm happy to hear that the car will be color changed!!

Second I'm even happier to hear it will be a shade of blue!! 😁

Can't wait to watch this unfold.
                      Yesiir! Excited to join the Blue team - been on my mind forever. BMW has the best shades of blue in the business.

Comment

Thanks dude! I've worked with that shop quite a bit in the past. This is my first complete color change on a personal car with them.

It's a huge undertaking for sure. Both subframes off, complete tear down of the underbody and all windows are coming out.

We're going for OEM level: everywhere there was coats of paints, this will have some. Lots of areas had slight overspray and not complete coverage: the firewall section, the interior, the trunk - etc.

We'll match that.

To think this is now prized! What a shame that experience was for the original owner.

Yesiir! Excited to join the Blue team - been on my mind forever. BMW has the best shades of blue in the business.
                        I hope to see the paint job in person next summer as I am considering repainting my E46 M3 LSB. Saw your car at the BMW Trois-Rivières dealer this summer but haven’t see you. I was with my 2006 E46 M3 ZCP Imola, I had my mountain bike on the roof rack as I was on my way back from Mont SM and stop by.
                        2001 BMW E46 M3 Laguna Seca / M-Texture 6mt
                        2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
                        2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

Originally posted by Gt4 View Post

I hope to see the paint job in person next summer as I am considering repainting my E46 M3 LSB. Saw your car at the BMW Trois-Rivières dealer this summer but haven’t see you. I was with my 2006 E46 M3 ZCP Imola, I had my mountain bike on the roof rack as I was on my way back from Mont SM and stop by.
                          Dang! I’m hoping to be more active with the E46 this Summer and bring it out to events.

DM me anytime over on IG to set something up. That BMW meet in TR was a great time - except for blowing out my GTS lip brackets on a road kill 😂

Comment

Well, things are moving fast and I can barely make the time to post these updates across platforms. Pardon the copy paste for those that follow me on IG!
                            --

I still had the blues.

New Build Journal entry
                            Special Series: Restoration of The Phoenix

In this entry, I skip the flafla and give it to you straight: we're seeing blue.

Which blue? It had to stay in the family - BMW makes the best blues.

My teenage dream was always to find an E60 M5 in Interlagos Blue, but I wanted something more modern. It was between Marina Bay Blue and San Marino Blue: M5 versus the M3.

There was only one way of uncorking the dilemma: test sprays.

Up next: we get into the engine bay spray session, we go bold and start stripping it down to metal.

Cheers,
                            Matt
                            @m3_epoustouflant

Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC8766.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	205715

Name:	_DSC8715.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	205716

Name:	_DSC8775.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	205718

Name:	_DSC8781-2.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	205720

Name:	_DSC8809.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	205717

Name:	_DSC8806.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	205719

Name:	_DSC8929.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	205714

Comment

San Marino Blue is one of my favorite BMW blues, color looks absolutely unreal under the sun and perfectly muted in the shade.

Comment

San Marino Blue is super pretty. Although still can't believe you painted over PY...
                                E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
                                Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X