No announcement yet.

heinzboehmer's 2002 Topaz 6MT Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both my wheels did not have the old leather or alcantara wrapped over and others that I know have not experienced that either. Mine is factory thickness and reconditioned to, in my opinion, OE or close to spec. I obviously have never had my hands on the company’s product mentioned above but it does look extremely nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

Coby wheels are wrapped over the existing leather making them slightly thicker. Not sure about anyone else, but stock is already borderline too thick. It's more work to take the old leather off and rewrap from the bare wheel, but you can see the difference in the end result. Based on the pictures, Tanik's work is on par with OE, but a few hundred bucks less - 700 vs 1000.
      "too thick" is subjective. A previous wheel of mine I had extra foam added, for additional thickness :P

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Another Bryson project:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20240625_214014.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	269570

Haven't driven it yet, but I have driven Bryson's car with this same brace installed and it does get rid of some very noticeable vibrations. Happy to be making the car more civilized on the street.
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Oh also gonna be at Laguna Seca this weekend, so I'll finally be able to test the 996 caliper evacuation ducts

I don't fully trust the material yet, so won't be running them with the fan. Plan is to just run the small mounting tab for a couple sessions and if thay doesn't distort/melt, then mount the full duct on (sans fan). I've only printed a duct for the one side, so I'll take temp measurements. I don't expect to see any difference, but why not.
          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

Couple of updates.

First up, the transmission exhaust brace is great. Greatly dampens the tinny, high frequency vibrations at about 2.5-2.7k rpm. They're not eliminated, but rather the brace seems to shift their frequency down quite a bit. It's no longer a rattly metallic noise and is now more reminiscent of the typical low frequency engine NVH present in most ICE cars.

And now onto track stuff. Shockingly, PET CF did not survive being in direct contact with the caliper at a brake heavy track. I didn't even bother mounting the duct after seeing how distorted the small mounting tab was getting. Unfortunately, I stepped on the piece and broke it when installing all the street stuff back on the car, but you can kinda still see the distortion:

Name:	20240708_202603.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	271289

Tried to make it more obvious with some highlighting. Most obvious issues are how much the "legs" started to pull up away from the rotor face (red) and how much the mounting tab that the caliper pin goes through bent back (green):

Name:	20240708_202603 copy.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	271290

Also, early in the day, I took a line through the corkscrew that was way too far left and ended up basically jumping the car off the top. Full droop + slight right turn of the front wheels resulted in the mounting features (and some others) getting crunched off the control arm part of the left brake scoop:

Name:	20240629_104721.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	271291

Picture from Bryson's car to show how it's supposed to look:

Name:	IMG_1632.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	271293

Tightened up the zip ties and got through the day without much issue. Gonna need to print a new scoop though:

Name:	20240708_194157.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	271292

I'll likely try to fix this slight contact between the two scoop parts before reprinting. Seems like bringing the outer edge in a bit will do it.

Good news is that the dust shield part of the scoop held up perfectly. I printed that one out of PET CF for the thermal properties and it still looks just like it did when it came out of the printer.

But all in all, the scoops worked great! Had zero fade issues, did not find any newly failed dust boots and the pads look almost exactly the same as they did before the track day. I completely forgot to take measurements before, but they're currently at 13 mm thickness (including backing plate which is about 5 mm). Product name (0776.08.17.44) says they're 17 mm thick with backing pad, so there's still about 2/3 left after 3 days (~8 hours) of track time. Not bad.

Also, I did say I would be taking brake temp measurements to have some data, but for some reason the turn 10 paddock entry was closed. This meant that the brakes had cooled significantly by the time I was back in the paddock and any data would have been meaningless. I think I'll try to make the next track day a real science day. Will swap in new dust boots, install the tweaked scoops and take temp measurements throughout the day.

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
              Couple of updates.

First up, the transmission exhaust brace is great. Greatly dampens the tinny, high frequency vibrations at about 2.5-2.7k rpm. They're not eliminated, but rather the brace seems to shift their frequency down quite a bit. It's no longer a rattly metallic noise and is now more reminiscent of the typical low frequency engine NVH present in most ICE cars.
              Holy crap, I've got this same noise and couldn't figure out where it was coming from, lol. This has to be it.

3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Hell yeah on the scoop test! If you’re going to modify, you should tweak the brake shield side as that little corner at the top of the main duct really is there to straighten the flow out as much as possible. If you do decide to bring it inward, you might consider adding some vanes to help the flow follow the curve and arrive basically straight into the brake shield duct. The main duct is there to direct the flow and the little duct is there to contain/compress/guide it into the rotor center.
                ‘02 332iT / 6 | ‘70 Jaguar XJ6 electric conversion

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post
                  Holy crap, I've got this same noise and couldn't figure out where it was coming from, lol. This has to be it.
                  I forget, are you on stock headers/section 1? It's nowhere nearly as pronounced with those as it is with the supersprint stuff, but the transmission brace should still make a difference. Wonder why BMW included it on the non-Ms but not on the M3...

Originally posted by Bry5on View Post
                  Hell yeah on the scoop test! If you’re going to modify, you should tweak the brake shield side as that little corner at the top of the main duct really is there to straighten the flow out as much as possible. If you do decide to bring it inward, you might consider adding some vanes to help the flow follow the curve and arrive basically straight into the brake shield duct. The main duct is there to direct the flow and the little duct is there to contain/compress/guide it into the rotor center.
                  That makes sense. Was trying to avoid reprinting those so I didn't have to dip into my stash of PET CF, but seems worth it. Will probably start by trimming the existing ones and then decide if I want to tweak and reprint.

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
                    I forget, are you on stock headers/section 1? It's nowhere nearly as pronounced with those as it is with the supersprint stuff, but the transmission brace should still make a difference. Wonder why BMW included it on the non-Ms but not on the M3...
                    Stock headers and RE Rasp and the noise is most pronounced in the RPM range you quoted, plus its a hard noise to describe but high frequency vibrations pretty much sums it up.
                    3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post

I really thought it was the nature of the M3. I need to try this now for sure.

Comment

Sooooo where can we get the CAD files for that exhaust brace?

Exciting about the ducts! Especially because, if these work well... maybe a CSL bumper can finally be in my future :P

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                          Sooooo where can we get the CAD files for that exhaust brace?

Exciting about the ducts! Especially because, if these work well... maybe a CSL bumper can finally be in my future :P
                          Here ya go! Attached. You’ll just need a relevant exhaust clamp for your pipes and some fasteners.

edit: the brace parts on my car and Heinz’s car are made from 304 SS - spacer is .125” and the two brace parts are .074” thick.

The very scientific leaf blower test showed that the ducts may even work better without open bumper brake ducts. We’d need someone to A/B test that though .. maybe Heinz can break out the tape on his next track/test day.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Bry5on; 07-10-2024, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Here ya go! Attached. You’ll just need a relevant exhaust clamp for your pipes and some fasteners.

edit: the brace parts on my car and Heinz’s car are made from 304 SS - spacer is .125” and the two brace parts are .074” thick.

The very scientific leaf blower test showed that the ducts may even work better without open bumper brake ducts. We’d need someone to A/B test that though .. maybe Heinz can break out the tape on his next track/test day.
                            Got a McMaster link for the hardware/clamp? We could make this an easy to order kit, between sendcutsend and McMaster.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Got a McMaster link for the hardware/clamp? We could make this an easy to order kit, between sendcutsend and McMaster.
                              Not off hand but I believe I used M8 x 16 or 20mm cap head screws, washer and nuts. You’ll need 4 fasteners, 2 nuts, 2 or 4 washers to suit. For the bigger SSv1 pipes, this is the clamp we’ve been using: EVIL ENERGY 2.5 Inch Exhaust... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HW8ZF4Z...p_mob_ap_share
                              Last edited by Bry5on; 07-10-2024, 11:20 AM.

Comment

the rectangular bracket seems to be missing the bend line-- got a location/bend angle for that?

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                                2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Working...
                                X