No announcement yet.

Black & Tan 332iT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While driving my wife's car on a roadtrip this weekend, it dawned on me that I hadn't checked to see whether my spare tire in the trunk actually fits over the M3 brakes. So once we got home, I pulled it out of the trunk and took a couple measurements of the 16" donut spare that verified, no, it will not clear the M3 brakes. I've been carrying 26lb of dead weight for no reason. Gone now.

This got me thinking about weight some more, and particularly how it relates to roll couples (much of your roll stiffness is dictated by roll center height and CG height) so I decided to add a quick calculation of roll degree change to my weight calculator since I've already modeled the roll center height (of the front at least) here. I assumed 4" for the rear and entered 3" into the calculator as it would average at the CG. While I was at it I ordered an 18.5lb 60Ah antigravity battery.

Playing around with the numbers yields some interesting things! Removing the sunroof on an e46 touring means your car will roll almost exactly 3% less in a corner, these numbers should be almost exactly the same as a regular e46 coupe/sedan with the non-m sedan having the most benefit from the change (taller roof, lighter car). My roof rack setup makes the car roll almost 5% more alone! Anyway, it's attached if anyone is interested in doing their own math. Mine points to a pretty easy 150lb weight removal opportunity which results in 49.8/50.2 F/R weight distribution (again, with a full tank. 51/49 empty), assuming I can make a hitch mount for the bikes that doesn't add a bunch of weight.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2023-02-26 at 7.49.13 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	606.4 KB ID:	207523
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bry5on; 02-26-2023, 07:14 PM.
    ‘02 332iT / 6 | ‘70 Jaguar XJ6 electric conversion

Comment

Awesome info Bry5on Makes me feel a little better that I eliminated both the sunroof and the roof rails from my car. I hope to get a CF roof when available but not sure if that will be available any time soon. Also a little concerned about if I can find a qualified shop to install it when the time comes.
      Last edited by puma1824; 02-26-2023, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Love it! Even if it's black. 😃
        2003 Imola Red M3 w/ SMG

Comment

For the hitch, I had a Westfalia hitch on my E46 Touring. I bought the one without the removable ball and modified it with a 2’’ receiver instead! Best hitch on the market. Not in the same league as the Curt option…
          2001 BMW E46 M3 Laguna Seca / M-Texture 6mt
          2002 BMW E46 M3 Titanium Silver/Black 6mt
          2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
          2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

Originally posted by Gt4 View Post
            For the hitch, I had a Westfalia hitch on my E46 Touring. I bought the one without the removable ball and modified it with a 2’’ receiver instead! Best hitch on the market. Not in the same league as the Curt option…
            I’ve been looking into doing this! Do you have any pictures? There are zero pictures of the fixed ball setup online. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Bry5on View Post

I’ve been looking into doing this! Do you have any pictures? There are zero pictures of the fixed ball setup online. Thanks!
              See this thread, I have pics of my old hitch:

https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...ch-suggestions

Looking at the pics, it was a 1-1/4’’ receiver. The 2’’ receiver was a modification I made to my BMW F31 hitch!

Comment

Antigravity battery measured exactly 30lbs less than the Bosch battery that came out on the bathroom scale. H7/94R size, 60Ah capacity. Currently 3550lb and 48.5/51.5% F/R
                Click image for larger version  Name:	C8A638C7-62F4-4792-A1FF-EEBF8C9755B3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	146.5 KB ID:	208303 Click image for larger version  Name:	6517A4B5-FD8D-4D91-B97E-ED00296BB7F6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	177.9 KB ID:	208304 Click image for larger version  Name:	8B527FB5-E08D-4489-AECC-476A5F463FB4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	154.6 KB ID:	208305
                Last edited by Bry5on; 03-03-2023, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Wow that nice weight savings! I need to look into those batteries. The tech looks pretty cool. Definitely a premium. i need to recover a little from my build before picking one up lol.

Comment

Originally posted by puma1824 View Post
                    Wow that nice weight savings! I need to look into those batteries. The tech looks pretty cool. Definitely a premium. i need to recover a little from my build before picking one up lol.
                    No kidding on the recovery, I believe you there!

I’m currently looking into the aluminum version of the Westfalia hitch, as it’s lighter and also has a bolt pattern for replacing the ball adapter with a hitch mount. I’d expect to drop another 40lb, all from above the roof, after accounting for the added hitch weight.​ Thanks Gt4 !

Comment

I’m currently looking into the aluminum version of the Westfalia hitch, as it’s lighter and also has a bolt pattern for replacing the ball adapter with a hitch mount. I’d expect to drop another 40lb, all from above the roof, after accounting for the added hitch weight.​ Thanks Gt4 !
                      Would you consider removing the roof rails if you get that rear hitch?

Comment

Originally posted by puma1824 View Post

Would you consider removing the roof rails if you get that rear hitch?
                        Yep, that would be the plan

Comment

I'm currently looking into the aluminum version of the Westfalia hitch, as it's lighter and also has a bolt pattern for replacing the ball adapter with a hitch mount. I'd expect to drop another 40lb, all from above the roof, after accounting for the added hitch weight.​ Thanks Gt4 !
                          I'd recommend looking on eBay.de, that's where I got my OEM westfalia hitch. I didn't know you could get a hitch mount for it though - I ended up getting a Thule ball-mount bike rack that clamps around the ball and nothing touches the paint, just the way I like it!

Comment

Do you know the model/part# of that Westfalia hitch? I want one for my 2001 LSB.

Comment

Originally posted by Gt4 View Post

Do you know the model/part# of that Westfalia hitch? I want one for my 2001 LSB.
                              Westfalia part number 303157600002 - there are a few on eBay that are missing parts, particularly the attachments that go into the crash rails as a heads up!

Comment

Careful, the PNs are different between sedan/coupe and wagon. Also don't forget the backing plate that goes in the trunk and sandwiches the rails as well, but that is something you could easily get waterjet and bent with sendcutsend

Comment

Working...
                                X