No announcement yet.

heinzboehmer's 2006 Some-kind-of-grey SMG ZCP Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really enjoy restoration threads like this, thanks for posting and updating your work!
    2003.5 BMW M3 Carbon Schwarz Metallic/Cinnamon 6 Speed – HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | AA Headers | AA Section 1 | SS Resonated Section 2 | SS Race Section 3 | TMS V2 CSL Airbox | TMS Street Plates | Ohlin’s R&T Coilovers | Ground Control Front and Rear Sways | Ground Control Adjustable Camber Arms | DMG Autosport Pro46R | FreakyParts BBK Front | Porsche 996 Conversion Rear | CMP Stage 1 + 1.5 Reinforcement Plates | CMP Subframe Bushings | CMP RTAB’s | SGT CSL Bumper | SGT CSL Trunk | Dr VANOS

Comment

That trunk polished up nicely! Looking forward to see the rest, and learn about your process / products used.

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

There's someone selling reproductions on eBay. Haven't received it yet, so can't comment on quality, but the reviews I've found online are pretty positive. Also, anything is better than the emblem that was on there before.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/302693544178
        Key thing with the reproduction emblem is that it is a printed backing with the resin doming over the top, whereas the OE emblem is a pressed/embossed metallic/painted backing. If you look closely at the original you can see that the markings on the emblem appear to be 3D and chrome-like. The ebay reproduction is a flat printed backing.
        2005 ///M3 SMG Coupe Silbergrau Metallic/CSL bucket seats
        Build Thread:
        https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...e46-m3-journal

Comment

Originally posted by karter16 View Post

Key thing with the reproduction emblem is that it is a printed backing with the resin doming over the top, whereas the OE emblem is a pressed/embossed metallic/painted backing. If you look closely at the original you can see that the markings on the emblem appear to be 3D and chrome-like. The ebay reproduction is a flat printed backing.
          Yep, you're exactly right. It's not a perfect match to the OE emblem, but it's much, much better than the faded emblem that was on there before:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20240207_115514.jpg Views:	0 Size:	144.8 KB ID:	253916

Originally posted by Will View Post
          That trunk polished up nicely! Looking forward to see the rest, and learn about your process / products used.
          Fortunately the whole car cleaned up nicely! I'm very much a noob when it comes to paint stuff, but I used the DA polisher pictured above (Rupes LHR12E Duetto) and some Meguiars products to do everything. On most of the car, I used a MF pad and 105 for the initial compound, then foam pad and 205 for polish. I ran out of the 105 and 205 when I was like 75% done, so I replaced them with some Meguiars Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish from the local parts store. They definitely cut through the paint a lot slower, but they were much easier to clean up, so I ended up spending about the same amount of total time per panel. In the future, I'll probably just continue using those, as I don't plan on doing another "paint resurrection" type of job anytime soon

One thing I will likely change are the pads used. The Meguiars pads didn't stick all that well to the polisher and there were a couple instances where they got scrunched up. I'll probably just get Rupes pads, as I imagine that those will stick better.

Anyway, on to the pictures!

Click image for larger version  Name:	1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	317.7 KB ID:	253917
          Click image for larger version  Name:	2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	334.3 KB ID:	253918
          Click image for larger version  Name:	3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	321.0 KB ID:	253919
          Click image for larger version  Name:	4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	281.5 KB ID:	253920
          Click image for larger version  Name:	5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	332.4 KB ID:	253921
          Click image for larger version  Name:	6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	235.4 KB ID:	253922
          Click image for larger version  Name:	7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	193.2 KB ID:	253923
          Click image for larger version  Name:	8.jpg Views:	0 Size:	203.1 KB ID:	253924
          Click image for larger version  Name:	9.jpg Views:	0 Size:	152.8 KB ID:	253925
          Click image for larger version  Name:	10.jpg Views:	0 Size:	195.7 KB ID:	253926
          Click image for larger version  Name:	11.jpg Views:	0 Size:	210.1 KB ID:	253927
          Click image for larger version  Name:	12.jpg Views:	0 Size:	130.8 KB ID:	253928

As is evident in the pictures, I swapped out the steering wheel trim to the multifunction one. ZCP trim is cool, but I really missed the buttons on the steering wheel, especially the volume up and down, so it got swapped out.

Pretty pleased with how well this car cleaned up!
          Last edited by heinzboehmer; 02-17-2024, 04:44 PM.
          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Also, uh, this car is now sold

The three car life is just not for me (right now). I was spending all my free time working on one of the cars instead of with friends and family, which I started to resent pretty quickly. So I posted it up for sale and sold it within 24 hrs! Didn't expect it to be that quick, but not complaining. Here's the last pic I took of it during the PPI:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20240216_140751.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	253930

New owner is pretty cool and has owned a ZHP for a while. Think this thing went to a good home

All in all, fun little quick "restoration" project. Was also interesting to live with the SMG for a bit. After getting used to driving it, I think I do see the appeal. I will say it's definitely much more engaging than a regular torque converter auto, but honestly not as much as a manual.

Anyway, back to the two car life!
            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

More than 2 cars is almost a full time job. I also need to sell one of my car for same reason! I had 5 last year and would like to reduce to 3 (my X3 is my DD and doesn’t require a lot of time).
              2001 BMW E46 M3 Laguna Seca / M-Texture 6mt
              2002 BMW E46 M3 Titanium Silver/Black 6mt
              2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
              2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

Originally posted by Gt4 View Post
                More than 2 cars is almost a full time job. I also need to sell one of my car for same reason! I had 5 last year and would like to reduce to 3 (my X3 is my DD and doesn’t require a lot of time).
                It really is!

Comment

Yeah I can't understand some of my car buddies with 3-5 fun/project cars. It doesn't sound fun at all unless you really have deep pockets and don't do the work yourself. Shouldn't feel like a chore.

Comment

You did a great job with it in such a short space of time. It cleaned up really nicely and looks really great in the photos. Great stuff and enjoy your free time!!
                    2005 ///M3 SMG Coupe Silbergrau Metallic/CSL bucket seats
                    Build Thread:
                    https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...e46-m3-journal

Comment

Originally posted by bavarian3 View Post
                      Yeah I can't understand some of my car buddies with 3-5 fun/project cars. It doesn't sound fun at all unless you really have deep pockets and don't do the work yourself. Shouldn't feel like a chore.
                      Same. I know some people like this and I do not understand how they do it.

Originally posted by karter16 View Post
                      You did a great job with it in such a short space of time. It cleaned up really nicely and looks really great in the photos. Great stuff and enjoy your free time!!
                      Thanks!

Comment

That was quick haha. I get your point though, I have my hands full with 2 cars and I can't imagine having another project. At least you finished this one, I think a lot of us struggle with the seemingly never ending project syndrome. Gotta understand when enough is enough.
                        Last edited by Nate047; 02-21-2024, 08:05 AM.
                        http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                        '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                        '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

briefly had an s2k in addition to the m3 and all that happened was they both sat as parts and mods accumulated in the garage for them. everyone has to make choices and i guess i just didnt want to spend my free time either in the garage at night or messing up my work schedule dropping them off at a shop.

which sites did you post your car btw? i've heard fb marketplace is the way to go these days

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
                            That was quick haha. I get your point though, I have my hands full with 2 cars and I can't imagine having another project. At least you finished this one, I think a lot of us struggle with the seemingly never ending project syndrome. Gotta understand when enough is enough.
                            Ha, yeah it really was. Never ending project syndrome is huge with my 02 M3. Don't think I won't ever have my hands full with that one. It's also slowly getting bigger for the E82. S65 swap is more enticing every time I think about it...

Originally posted by usdmej View Post
                            briefly had an s2k in addition to the m3 and all that happened was they both sat as parts and mods accumulated in the garage for them. everyone has to make choices and i guess i just didnt want to spend my free time either in the garage at night or messing up my work schedule dropping them off at a shop.

which sites did you post your car btw? i've heard fb marketplace is the way to go these days
                            I actually only posted it on craigslist. Got an inquiry within a few hours of posting and sold it the next day. Ended up selling for less than I was asking (about 13%), but I just couldn't pass up the crazy fast turnover. Didn't want to be sitting on this thing and dealing with non serious buyers for the next month(s).

Comment

Working...
                            X