No announcement yet.

Robs E46M Rosso Corsa Street Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great thread - love the attention to detail and colour change!

Comment

Been awhile since my last update just been enjoying the car!

One item that I haven’t been completely happy with since the SMG swap is the shifter feel. I originally used the Rogue shifter but there was too much slack left to right. I pulled it out to have the bushings replaced. In the interim I installed the Turner adjustable shifter and that was super tight.

Too tight for a street car IMHO… So back in with the Rogue shifter with stiffer bushings. Now it’s EXACTLY what I wanted! Better than OE but not too stiff and no additional NVH. Went with a “M3 Evolution Illuminated Shift Knob” part 25112228742 that wired right in.

Also found a BMW Performance foot rest after a lot of hunting to complete the pedal set. Interior done (for now 😂)!

Last edited by robgill; 09-04-2022, 06:10 AM.

Comment

That cars and coffee was probably fun, and some dudes were probably even fond of their cars… till you showed up. .

What a build!

edit: chrome grills need to go back on the car.
        Last edited by 02_lsb; 09-11-2022, 03:52 PM.
        Just some old shitty cars.

Comment

Damn, definitely inspiring.

Would love to do something similar. Came across a few low(ish) km cars with rebuilt titles for decent prices that might be good candidates for something like this.

The cost though...

Comment

Originally posted by Lee_Enfield View Post
            Damn, definitely inspiring.

Would love to do something similar. Came across a few low(ish) km cars with rebuilt titles for decent prices that might be good candidates for something like this.

The cost though...
            If you are going to put all the effort and cash to completely rebuild a car, at least pay a little more and avoid rebuild title if you want to see your money back one day
            2001 BMW E46 M3 Laguna Seca / M-Texture 6mt
            2002 BMW E46 M3 Titanium Silver/Black 6mt
            2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
            2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

Originally posted by Gt4 View Post

If you are going to put all the effort and cash to completely rebuild a car, at least pay a little more and avoid rebuild title if you want to see your money back one day
              Ya your not wrong. That did cross my mimd as well. Will probably keep an eye out for a nice clean car. I guess color options are not as important if I plan on doing a complete repaint like the op.

Comment

Beautiful build! I’m looking to install a carbon roof on my Jap Rot M. What DIYs did you follow when you did yours?

the work seems reasonable (aside from removing the glass)
                ‘02 LSB M3 (11k original miles)
                ’03 Oxford Green M3 (Turbo’d)

Comment

Good news. Bad news.... Good news!

First good news. Had an awesome drive a couple weekends ago with Simon up to the Orvis Sandanona Club in CT. Perfect fall weather and great roads.

Click image for larger version

Name:	52461831437_791d7c0ee9_b.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	318.2 KB
ID:	190525

One the way back home I stopped under the Riverside Drive overpass in West Harlem for a couple shots:

Name:	52462881338_dd94563cd9_b.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	190526

Name:	52462345006_783a722c97_b.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	190527

Bad news... Got up the next morning and was taking the car back to the garage. On the Cross Bronx the car in front of me swerved to miss something in the road and I had no time to miss it. Trailer ball hitch lying on its side in the middle of the lane. Just tried to center it and hope it would clear. NOPE! Hit it hard and sounded like a freakin bomb going off under the car. Fortunately it was right before my exit and was able to get it off the highway and to my garage. I could smell trans fluid so knew it wasn't going to be pretty:

Name:	52461831392_d18ec5c136_b.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	190528

Name:	52462801310_c0855a9a49_b.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	190529
                  I just fucking installed this transmission 😩!!!

Good news! Insurance has worked out really well and they covered a tow over to Rogue Engineering in New Jersey.

Name:	52461831432_863a5de007_b.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	310.5 KB
ID:	190530

Name:	52462881283_1808ed9bf2_b.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	319.2 KB
ID:	190531

Ben has been awesome and ultimately insurance is covering the full repair with the highlight being a shiny new 6 speed straight from BMW. 1 of 2 left in North America. Sooooooo fresh!!!! Would have been nice for this to happen BEFORE I did all the SMG conversion work but hey, at least its now a true (new!!) 6 speed.

Name:	52461831407_3c7767974e_b.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	190532

Stopped by the shop yesterday and they have already started work. Front subframe is being replaced with one of REs reinforced ones and the trans should go in early next week. Also going with an aluminum belly pan from Turner plus all new underside trim panels. Fingers crossed it will be ready for E46M.East next weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Hallerhan View Post
                    Beautiful build! I’m looking to install a carbon roof on my Jap Rot M. What DIYs did you follow when you did yours?

the work seems reasonable (aside from removing the glass)
                    Thanks!! Lot of great DIYs on this forum but primary doc is this realoem PDF with torque values. Basically an assembly manual.

Comment

Was drooling over that transmission on rogue's Instagram. Nice outcome!! This post gave me a bit of PTSD from the time I centered a rock and the highway and got all too familiar with the "bomb under the car" noise. Tore up my oilpan but didn't get a new motor out of it haha.

Comment

I am getting more and more envious of this car lol. While the incident sucks overall, getting a brand new transmission over it seems like a positive upturn, to me anyways.

Comment

Oh man yeah that sucks, but also jealous of the brand new transmission!

Curious if the second gear is still crunchy on your new unit. Was talking to someone recently who once swapped in a brand new manual transmission into their 8 series (same internals as 420G from what I understood) and it still had that crunchy second gear.
                          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

I guess that ended up working out! I'm assuming you have stated value policy?

Love the pic with the interlagos E46!

Comment

I’m gonna go look for a trailer hitch to drive over

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
                                Oh man yeah that sucks, but also jealous of the brand new transmission!

Curious if the second gear is still crunchy on your new unit. Was talking to someone recently who once swapped in a brand new manual transmission into their 8 series (same internals as 420G from what I understood) and it still had that crunchy second gear.
                                Yeah I do notice second gear is "tight". I notice it most in low speed/rpm shifts from first to second. I assume it will break in over time.

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
                                I guess that ended up working out! I'm assuming you have stated value policy?

Love the pic with the interlagos E46!
                                Good question... So I did not have an agreed value policy. I had a normal Geico policy and it all came down to how the insurance accessor valued the car and the repair. Fortunately they valued the car high enough to cover the cost of the repair without having to total it. That sounds crazy but this was an expensive repair and blue book on our cars is exceptionally low compared to market. The trans alone was 6k... It was also an eye opener, my logic has always been I can do all of my own work I just need parts covered. But if this car was a total loss or stolen I wouldn't get anywhere near its market value. I've now switched to Hagerty agreed value for both of my M3s.
                                Last edited by robgill; 12-02-2022, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X