No announcement yet.

The Red Drift ///Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m going to try and run TT4/ST4 for a season or two then step up to TT3.

Pending a dyno, I have to ballast up to 3100lbs for TT4 with 275/40R17 Toyo RRs. And I can run TT3 with 275 Hoosiers. May need a slight detune as I pull off more weight.

At my home track, I’m consistent low 1:42s on NT01s. Don’t see why I can’t be in the 1:40s with fresh RRs in TT4. Should be well into the 1:39s on Hoosiers.

I need to start pulling drag off the car, especially the rear wing. I am eyeing an AJ Hartman wing but I’m worried it will worsen my aero imbalance. I made room for splitter tunnels, I can improve the wheel well venting…can’t think of anything else.

My TC Kline shocks are 12 years old, probably time for a rebuild. Just dread the process of getting them setup again.

Despite 12 year old Koni’s…the car still slays on track!

Comment

Getting ready for NASA time trials.

Completed the dyno - 325whp

The good news is that is more than expected...was not expecting that much of a jump! I dyno'd before with an Evolve canned tune at 311whp, this was a Paul Claude tune. Nothing else changed. Haven't even taken the valve cover off between the runs.

The bad news is this knocks me out of TT4. I installed 190lbs of ballast and would have been optimized at 12:1 wt:hp with modifiers. Now I'm in TT3 and I could lose 150 lbs or avg 30whp ore.

I REALLY wanted to run TT4 since I would be optimized on Toyo RRs. If I want to be winning then I will need to be on Hoosiers.

Megan headers and BW race...its loud!

Comment

Ready for my first time trial. Lots of stuff to get done. Annual tech, check ride, prep the car, meetings, out lap procedures…got all of that done. Luckily got checked out for a TT license early because it rained in the PM and I don’t have wipers. I wax the windshield so I can see when at speed. The issue is this course has a slower technical section on the backside. I’m good when I enter that section…blind by the time I’m getting back onto the next straight.

Click image for larger version  Name:	36322508-9C16-406A-AFB5-71154B8FCDAD.jpg Views:	0 Size:	223.1 KB ID:	251301

So I get 3 laps for test and tune...not off to a great start. Otherwise I'm ready! I go out for the warm up session. Bad vibration when turning right. Forgot to torque the lug nuts 🤦‍♂️…haven’t forgot to do that in 16 years. Only one side came loose so scrambled and found some wheel bolts.

One other car in my class, he has a couple of track records in the region. Really good driver. First day, was about 1-2 tenths off from him on NT01s and I was behind someone all day. Zero clean laps. Then I went home early because of allergies and missed the last session which apparently was the fastest. So second place on the first day.

Sun…felt better and ended up getting some clear and clean-ish laps. Ran a 1:40.580 to win TT3 by .140 seconds!

Super happy!

Click image for larger version  Name:	274183D4-0D14-4F13-B9E0-391322BF5E0D.jpg Views:	0 Size:	126.8 KB ID:	251300
        Last edited by bigjae46; 01-29-2024, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Here is the winning lap

Comment

How quickly it can turn. A glorious win…fast forward to the next weekend - oil cooler line o-ring fails. I was on track and fluid gets on my windshield. By the time I get off I can’t see shit. As I’m going through the hot pits I’m worried once I stop the car is going to catch fire. Luckily it did not. Thought I was the VANOS line. Brought another line the next day and it was the stupid o-ring. Got it fixed, somewhat cleaned up the car and got a couple of sessions in.

Damn…what a mess! I was literally scraping oil from the windshield. Luckily the engine is fine. Was down 3 qts but never lost pressure.

BUT…Good news!

Im going to try this PS delete…again. Last time I used one of those crossover blocks - crap - waste of time and money.

The first gen Z4 has a manual rack with electric power assist in the steering column. I’m hoping that it will be decent through the slower turns.

I found an eBay coupler that fits the Z4 rack. The problem is the pinion sticks out more than the hydraulic rack. Hoping I don’t have to cut down the steering shaft.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FF17582E-D334-4F31-99A1-5A2C323FD18A.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	252777

And it fits!!! Perfectly…the pinion and shaft sit just deep enough in each end so it doesn’t interfere with the joint articulation.

Name:	83848D5D-A56E-4117-AD9A-2A9A40702651.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	252776

Name:	BF95C97C-7025-4535-9947-25CABDA3A1E4.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	252775

So I am working on removing the PS system. The PS system is always getting in my way and would be awesome to drop some more weight on the front end.

I will drill an indent on the steering shaft for the set screw in the coupler to prevent them from separating. Then I need to degrease the car and then I can take it for a spin!

Comment

Took it for a test drive, the Z4 rack worked...just the same as a stock rack with the crossover block except it was even worse at low speed from my memory. So I will finally put my dreams of manual steering to rest. I guess I could do electric steering but I don't think it nets me very much in terms of weight savings. I like the feel of my steering now with the relief shims.

Looks like this is a case where I should leave well enough alone.

Comment

Working...
              X