Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by x Spades x View Post

Can you post the oil temp settings?
    Hello, A question about the instrument cluster. What do the shiftlights monitor? Water, oil engine temperature? Which sensors give the signal for the lamps? someone has information... I think it was described in the old forum, unfortunately I can't read it there :-) Anmerkung 2020-04-14 193917.png Thanks and stays healthy
    '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Thanks!!

Comment

Hey Guys,

Will the Evap test (emissions) still run, if I "Disable SAP/Cat Heat Sequence" (Disable cold start - checked)?

Also, does checking "Disable Cat Protection (Disables enrichment)" cause a "gassy"/rich smell? I've been smelling a very rich smell, while the car idle in the garage and wondering if this is the reason.

Kareem
        Last edited by x Spades x; 06-17-2020, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Disabling cat protection just stops the car adding fuel when the cats get too hot.

Comment

Originally posted by Martyn View Post
            Disabling cat protection just stops the car adding fuel when the cats get too hot.
            So if the car doesn't add fuel to cool off the cats, what happens? Do the cats go bad? Is performance cut from the engine?

Comment

So if the car doesn't add fuel to cool off the cats, what happens? Do the cats go bad? Is performance cut from the engine?
              The first one. Disabling this is meant for tuning cars without cats, so that the fuel maps can be tuned without worry that the DME will add extra fuel to protect the (non-existant) cats.
              2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

I thought additional fuel (unburned) is what causes cats to overheat?
                How would the DME know the cats are overheating without an EGT sensor?

wouldnt the cat protection be more along the lines of an overrun fuel cut?

Not disputing you guys who know way more than I do, just fascinated to learn about something new

Comment

Originally posted by beefaroni View Post
                  Unburned fuel can ignite in (or close) to the cats and cause them to overheat, but you have to be running very rich for this to be an issue.

Lean mixtures burn hotter than rich mixtures, so more fuel in the mixture means lower exhaust temps which will (hopefully) cool down the cats.

Not sure on the EGT question. I'm assuming that's the main mechanism the DME has to know if the cats are overheating, but it's possible that it'll start trying to protect the cats at certain calculated AFRs.
                  2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

How would the DME know the cats are overheating without an EGT sensor?

Not disputing you guys who know way more than I do, just fascinated to learn about something new
                    Me too

Trying to see the best option for tuning with my SSV1 cats. I just wanted to check (or uncheck) the correct boxes, so I can enable the best tune while protecting the cats.

Comment

Sorry if it was discussed, but I can not find it. I see people mention a paid version of the software, but I cant find where to get it and what is the difference apart from reseting the sound for writing? Thanks!

Comment

Below is a list of downloads hosted by ECUWorx, the Binary Modification & Remap Tool will always be available from this page so be sure to grab the latest version from here. Recently Updated! – MSS65 / BMW E6x M5/M6 Binary Modification & Remap Tool BMW E6x M5/M6 Binary Modification Tool – Build 1.6.3 (exe) BMW E6x M5/M6 Binary Modification Tool – Build 1.6.3 (zip) Recently Updated! – MSS60 / BMW E90/E92/E93 M3 Binary Modification & Remap Tool BMW E90/E92/E93 M3 Binary Modification Tool – Build 1.9.5 (exe) BMW E90/E92/E93 M3 Binary Modification Tool – Build 1.9.5 (zip) MSS6x Flasher

The unlicensed version lets you see what is/isn't enabled in your tune, the licensed version allows you to make changes and write them out.

Comment

Thank you. But I can’t find how to purchase, is that done from within the program?

Comment

Yes

First and foremost, ECUWorx offer no warranty of any kind, we are not liable if you break your car by incorrectly flashing your ECU/DME. You do so at your own risk! You will require the following: A copy of the MSS5x Binary Modification Tool, available here A fully charged laptop and a copy of BMWFlash or MSSFlasher. Available from here: BMWFlash or a copy of from here: MSSFlasher A FTDI based OBD2 diagnostic cable such as a BMTechnic cable / BM or a KKL Vag-Com cable. yIf you don’t have one, you can buy one from here A trickle charger

Comment

Me too

Trying to see the best option for tuning with my SSV1 cats. I just wanted to check (or uncheck) the correct boxes, so I can enable the best tune while protecting the cats.

So am I correct that for running full catless SS setup you will be physically removing secondary O2 and EGT sensors, hence will need to check all 4 fields in the MSS5x binary tool?

Comment

So can anyone put the final word down on what would be the best options in this program for catted exhausts? It would seem that disabling cat protection wouldn't be something you would want to do, but then we still have an unclear answer as to whether or not we want the DME to recognize the EGT sensor for cat temps.
                                My Kassel tune loaded into the Martyn's program shows cat protection disabled and it doesn't take into account the EGT sensor. My smells rich as hell at idle.
                                2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                                Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                                Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                                RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                                Instagram

Comment

Working...
                                X