BlueBus: A fully integrated A2DP Bluetooth solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by t3ddftw View Post

I doubt it's a different pinout. What I mean by incompatible is that you're unable to fully seat the metal pin terminal into the plastic housing, which may lead to poor contact.

-Ted
    With ya now. I did notice the extra resistance - you can even see I mangled the black wire in pin #6 - but there seems to be enough of a fit to keep the pins in there.

Btw, using the digital input which is possible with the E53 is A-fricking-mazing. The E46 platform got snubbed big time.
    '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post

With ya now. I did notice the extra resistance - you can even see I mangled the black wire in pin #6 - but there seems to be enough of a fit to keep the pins in there.

Btw, using the digital input which is possible with the E53 is A-fricking-mazing. The E46 platform got snubbed big time.
      Do check the wire colors at the mic

Agreed about the digital input. I'm working on retrofitting he DSP amp and speakers from the E8x into the E46 as the amp pinouts are _nearly_ the same. The only downside is the E8x Carver DSP lost the coax connector from the BOM, so the connector has to be soldered onto the Amp too.

-Ted

Comment

Hey all, looking for some help diagnosing no microphone functionality. This is an '03 E53 with a 54 pin connector (vehicle did not have TCU module from factory, harness simply tucked away). The vehicle is completely stock and was never tampered with (until me). The easiest thing for me is to assume is its a wiring issue.

When making a call:
        - The radio is properly interrupted with the telephone function, and shows up on the factory nav screen
        - I can hear the other end of the call perfectly.
        - They just cannot hear me

This suggests all wiring is OK except for the microphone. In the photo, I've labeled what I think are the microphone wires A & B. I've also swapped A & B in the connector and no change. I'm assuming that I originally pulled the microphone pins per Ted's instructions - #19 and #1 - but consider there's always a chance for user error.

- Is there any way to test the microphone with ohm meter, if there's a known value, to verify I actually have the microphone leads and that there is a physical microphone present?
        - Can anyone tell by the photo if I have the microphone? Note that A & B are part of a wiring grouping that includes another lead with clear insulating jacket, which goes into pin #21.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5476.jpg
Views:	683
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	71853
        Silly question but... have you checked that you've got a microphone in your car?

Since it didn't come with a TCU from the factory, chances that no microphone came with the car are high. Have you put one in there?
        2003 Stahlblau E46 320d Touring – 6MT
        2001 Topasblau E39 530i – 5MT

Comment

Do check the wire colors at the mic
          Yessir, will confirm

Originally posted by Der_Spanier View Post
          Silly question but... have you checked that you've got a microphone in your car?
          Since it didn't come with a TCU from the factory, chances that no microphone came with the car are high. Have you put one in there?
          Not silly question, but silly that I haven't checked. I supposed I assumed that since I had wires in the indicated pins, that meant there was a microphone. No I haven't added anything and will let this group know the outcome.
          '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Yessir, will confirm

Not silly question, but silly that I haven't checked. I supposed I assumed that since I had wires in the indicated pins, that meant there was a microphone. No I haven't added anything and will let this group know the outcome.
            You almost never get the microphone from the factory. Oddly, I just bought a Touring and it seems to have come pre-equipped with a microphone even though there was not a factory TCU...

-Ted

Comment

Yessir, will confirm

Pretty sure there's your problem... Do let us know what you find in there! (Or rather, what you don't find...)

You almost never get the microphone from the factory. Oddly, I just bought a Touring and it seems to have come pre-equipped with a microphone even though there was not a factory TCU...

-Ted
              Welcome to the Touring club Ted! They're fantastic cars. Perhaps someone removed the TCU when it stopped working for some reason?

Comment

Originally posted by Der_Spanier View Post
                Welcome to the Touring club Ted! They're fantastic cars. Perhaps someone removed the TCU when it stopped working for some reason?
                Thanks! A bit off topic, but the plan is to do an M3 conversion on it in a couple years. For now, it definitely needs more ZHP bits (suspension, bumper, etc).

I don't think there was a factory TCU as the build sheet doesn't state it and all the factory wiring was in the factory burritos *shrug*.

-Ted

Comment

Aha! No microphone. Welp, there we go, good thinking Der_Spanier and Ted. This vehicle has S640 - Preparation F Tel.Installation Universal, so looks like that means you get the wiring but not the hardware. I'm assuming the 3 pin connector I've zoomed in on is the microphone connection. And I see similar discussion here: https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/...firmation.html

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5498.jpg Views:	0 Size:	99.2 KB ID:	72029 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5500.jpg Views:	0 Size:	105.1 KB ID:	72030
                  Last edited by jbfrancis3; 12-07-2020, 02:08 PM.

Comment

...I just bought a Touring...
                    What Touring did you get, Ted?

2004 325xi Touring

Comment

Originally posted by tabora View Post
                      What Touring did you get, Ted?
                      2004 (10/2003 build) 325i -- Titanium over black. My requirements were "black interior", no rust, and "no AWD".

111k miles for $3,500, so I don't think it was a bad deal.

I'm already scoping out a 5 speed trans and driveshaft to undo the original buyers poor choice in transmission :P

-Ted
                      Last edited by t3ddftw; 12-07-2020, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Aha! No microphone. Welp, there we go, good thinking Der_Spanier and Ted. This vehicle has S640 - Preparation F Tel.Installation Universal, so looks like that means you get the wiring but not the hardware. I'm assuming the 3 pin connector I've zoomed in on is the microphone connection. And I see similar discussion here: https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/...firmation.html

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_5498.jpg Views:	0 Size:	99.2 KB ID:	72029 Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_5500.jpg Views:	0 Size:	105.1 KB ID:	72030
                        That loose 3 pin connector does look like the one for the microphone. Now you just need to plug and play/call. Glad you got it sorted.

Thanks! A bit off topic, but the plan is to do an M3 conversion on it in a couple years. For now, it definitely needs more ZHP bits (suspension, bumper, etc).

I don't think there was a factory TCU as the build sheet doesn't state it and all the factory wiring was in the factory burritos *shrug*.

-Ted
                        That's awesome! I did have that idea in mind for my 320d, but a) getting such a conversion approved for road use in Germany is a total pain and b) I enjoy the frugality of the diesel too much... 600+ miles on a tank of fuel is great, perfect for those long motorway journeys streaming music through the Bluebus and enjoying one touch blinkers 😉

Definitely approve the upcoming manual gearbox conversion though!

Comment

I used to recommend against this microphone [762], but I think I've sorted the issues with supporting it. Wanna be the guinea pig?

-Ted

Forget finding a 338 or 319 microphone on eBay -- I'm pretty sure my customers bought all those up.
                          Hey guys --

* The 762 microphone is now supported! This is in part because I enabled cVc (Clear Voice Capture), but also because of using the BT audio path. Anyways, it has been repeatedly tested and no echo can be heard anymore.

-Ted
                          I can still find NIB the microphone ending -338, or I could get the -762. I see some used -319 (green back) but I'm shying away from used. Looks like I need to spend $60-$80 for NIB.

With all of the development that's occurred over the last year, what's the best (call quality) mic option?

Comment

I can still find NIB the microphone ending -338, or I could get the -762. I see some used -319 (green back) but I'm shying away from used. Looks like I need to spend $60-$80 for NIB.

With all of the development that's occurred over the last year, what's the best (call quality) mic option?
                            762 from eBay all day. I had some bugs in the firmware that made me believe Clear Voice Capture was enabled when it wasn't, and that's what caused 762 to be awful.

Thanks!
                            -Ted

Comment

762 from eBay all day. I had some bugs in the firmware that made me believe Clear Voice Capture was enabled when it wasn't, and that's what caused 762 to be awful.

Thanks!
                              -Ted
                              Ted,
                              Is there any preference? I have a 338 installed but still have a 762 from when they weren't working all that well. If 762 is better, I'd swap. If not, I'll offer it up since I shouldn't need it.

Comment

Originally posted by netcsk View Post

Ted,
                                Is there any preference? I have a 338 installed but still have a 762 from when they weren't working all that well. If 762 is better, I'd swap. If not, I'll offer it up since I shouldn't need it.
                                I think they're six of one and half a dozen of the other. I would invite you test both out, since swapping them is a pretty easy process .

-Ted

Comment

Working...
                                X