Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice needed: Doing a color change the right way - Topaz Blue to... ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
    I think the wheel finish is hurting the look of the car too. Topaz looks great there. But you want what you want and I get it so go for it.
    I thought the same thing. I think some sort of "race silver" or whatever would look best.

Comment

OP's car looks amazing as is, especially in such a nice garage too

Comment

What about Oxford or Fern green?
        Click image for larger version

Name:	32695915497_027e31317d_b.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	268.0 KB
ID:	129148

Name:	47638466271_f4856656c4_b.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	129147

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
          Here's the current state of what we're talking about. Not the best pic, but this is after a wash.

Name:	IMG_20210927_181319.jpg
Views:	1127
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	129009
          Like others mentionned, I would not waste money to repaint your Topaz Blue M3. It looks good as is. But silver wheels and black calipers would look better IMO.
          2001 BMW E46 M3 Laguna Seca / M-Texture 6mt
          2002 BMW E46 M3 Titanium Silver/Black 6mt
          2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
          2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

I too think that topaz looks best with silver wheels. I actually want to get a set of silver 18" EC-7s on my car, so I made this edit of you pic to see what that would look like: (I know it's shitty, don't judge I spent like 5 min on it)

Name:	image_27902-silver wheels.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	129186
            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post

Honestly it looks great.

I wouldn't respray that car.

I'd respray something wack like Tiag.

#runsandhideslol
              Lol

Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by usdmej View Post
                OP's car looks amazing as is, especially in such a nice garage too
                Thanks, the garage isn't mine but it's where the car is currently.

TBH, the wheels looked like a different color on Apex's site when I got them. They replaced silver BBS LM Reps that came with the car and I've never loved these. I'm a disaster! lol

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
                I too think that topaz looks best with silver wheels. I actually want to get a set of silver 18" EC-7s on my car, so I made this edit of you pic to see what that would look like: (I know it's shitty, don't judge I spent like 5 min on it)

Name:	image_27902-silver wheels.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	129186
                Dude, this is freaking impressive as hell!! Point taken, silver looks really good...

Comment

This thread is making me reconsider painting my TiAg lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoglan View Post
                    Hahaha! Go for it. Full send and then let me know how it went before I do mine

Comment

Originally posted by Thoglan View Post
                      I wouldn't bother. Sure its the most common color but at least it isn't something polarizing like phoenix yellow. This paint admittedly falls flat in both sunny and cloudy days. But in indirect lighting like sunrise/set or under street lights at night it does have a nice depth to it that works well to highlight lines and bulges in the bodywork. It still doesn't compare against any of the shades of blue (or my personal fav, jet black) but I would still take it over Carbon schwarz or imola even. From what I can see, TiAg (not unlike all other colors) really does benefit from a paint correction- which is what I intend to do down the line.
                      2002 TiAg M3 Coupe (SMG to 6spd), 2003 Jet Black M5

https://www.instagram.com/individual_throttle_buddies/

Comment

lemoose I don't hate TiAg. And 100% agree prefer it over carbon black and many others. In my case though, my paint is fairly rough. A few panels have average quality resprays that don't match, rock chips etc. A respray is in my cars future, whether or not I respray TiAg and keep it all original (what I had always intended to do) or change the colour is TBD. It might bother me more that the VIN doesn't match the spec more than a more interesting colour would satisfy me.
                        If I did I would likely go something period correct but unusual, like oxford green or stratus grey metallic or even messing metallic. All would go well with my m-texture.

Comment

Originally posted by lemoose View Post

I wouldn't bother. Sure its the most common color but at least it isn't something polarizing like phoenix yellow. This paint admittedly falls flat in both sunny and cloudy days. But in indirect lighting like sunrise/set or under street lights at night it does have a nice depth to it that works well to highlight lines and bulges in the bodywork. It still doesn't compare against any of the shades of blue (or my personal fav, jet black) but I would still take it over Carbon schwarz or imola even. From what I can see, TiAg (not unlike all other colors) really does benefit from a paint correction- which is what I intend to do down the line.
                          Not many people really know what ti silver is in its full glory. Sure it's boring silver but almost all of the ones you see have hazy paintwork. If you see a properly paint corrected titanium it's a great color and very metallic.

The problem here is very few on the board have a professionally paint corrected vehicle. @casademesa, if you have the money spend about 8-1000 on a proper paint correction and ceramic coating before deciding on a color change, you may find that it'll hold you over an eventually change your mind. Take a look at Pipes before and after pics in the member build thread subforum to get an idea of the transformation. The subsequent problem, however, is you have to entirely relearn how to wash in order to preserve that very finish which most people are too lazy to do. Topaz though to be honest is too much of a washed out and gray toned blue to be exciting or stunning like the more saturated hues.

In summary, jet black is the best.
                          2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

TiAg is fantastic.

I'm going to be correcting the paint (don't have to do much tbh) on a low mileage original 2004 TiAg soon. Thinking of posting pics in the detail section, but might sneak one in here.
                            DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                            /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                            More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Well say no more, my paint corrected Tiag (done by me) is shiny as f$$$. No one has to like it but it isn't flat.

3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
                                That color is certainly bright (whatever color that vert is). That's a different kind of pop than I'm aiming for, but I like it for what it is.

I'm drawn to the non-metallic colors for some reason. My buddy picked up a Hellrot E36 with perfect paint. It's like red plugged into a light socket. It's sick.
                                Yea for some reason there are honestly not very many good pictures of what Atlantis Blue really looks like. It's like a super metallic aquamarine green blue. Tight as hell IMO but for sure not everyone's taste. When I saw that color for the first time in person I was like "......OH."

I feel you on the non-metallic colors and indeed the Hellrot E36, I shall take this opportunity to shamelessly post my own since that's also a great color.

http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                                '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                                '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Working...
                                X