Tracking car hard in hot climate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oceansize View Post
    Truth, if I have learned one thing from this forum it is do not buy any radiator other than OE.
    Koyo radiator has been fantastic for me, well respected for JDM cars. Has more capacity and all aluminum which is a bonus. Fitment is perfect as well.

Comment

Originally posted by wahsm View Post

Koyo radiator has been fantastic for me, well respected for JDM cars. Has more capacity and all aluminum which is a bonus. Fitment is perfect as well.
      I've got one waiting for me to install. I also have a Koyo in my STI and it's been great at the track, even during the summer.
      "your BMW has how many miles!?"

2003 (2/03) M3 coupe Imolarot/Black 6 M/T - JRZ RS One 450/550 - Ground Control Street - SDW RTAB - TMS Street ARCA - Redish V2 - TMS solid subframe bushings - Volk Racing G2 18x9.5 - StopTech ST40 355 (coming soon) - Beisan Systems VANOS parts - WPC OE rod bearings - Karbonius CSL airbox - Kassel MSS54HP DME - Kassel MAP sensor - Euro headers and Section 1 - SuperSprint Sport - Recaro Speed - Schroth Rallye 4 QF - AS 30% SSK

build/journal
      ig: @zzyzx85

Comment

Originally posted by wahsm View Post

Are you tracking your car in 100 degree temperatures?

Comment

So i had my first event with the E46 out at thunderhill west today. Was about 80* and the car did great! Oil never even made it to the 3 dot and coolant was also a non worry. Guess i was just overthinking it
          As everyone stated OEM works and mine hasnt even been refreshed yet.

Usually run a 1:25 in my F80 (ap racing bbk, tc klines,CS tune,apex ec7, nitto nt01). Ended up doing a 1:31 on a pretty much stock E46 with continental extreme sports (came with car). Not to mention this is my first manual car so ive only had 2 months of experience.

Last edited by Driver407; 05-01-2022, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Would it be a good idea to throw in a few gallons of 100+ octane (unleaded) in the interest of ping prevention? Any downsides, besides being a waste of money?

2003 (2/03) M3 coupe Imolarot/Black 6 M/T - JRZ RS One 450/550 - Ground Control Street - SDW RTAB - TMS Street ARCA - Redish V2 - TMS solid subframe bushings - Volk Racing G2 18x9.5 - StopTech ST40 355 (coming soon) - Beisan Systems VANOS parts - WPC OE rod bearings - Karbonius CSL airbox - Kassel MSS54HP DME - Kassel MAP sensor - Euro headers and Section 1 - SuperSprint Sport - Recaro Speed - Schroth Rallye 4 QF - AS 30% SSK

build/journal

Comment

Originally posted by zzyzx85 View Post
              Would it be a good idea to throw in a few gallons of 100+ octane (unleaded) in the interest of ping prevention? Any downsides, besides being a waste of money?
              Would probably be much easier/more convenient to throw in 2-3 gallons of E85. It will give about the same amount of knock protection/octane boost.
              Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

So long as your car is correctly tuned for pump, that's just lighting money on fire.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i
                2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

So long as your car is correctly tuned for pump, that's just lighting money on fire.
                  the sound of that money burning is pretty great though 🤣

build/journal

Comment

Originally posted by Estoril View Post

Are you tracking your car in 100 degree temperatures?
                    I have yes, handled it well. The stock one was old so could be similar in performance, but additional capacity and all aluminum housing was a bonus for me.

Comment

When I was dealing with overheating in Colorado, putting a 1/2 tank of 100 octane extended the time it took for the car to overheat. This made me consider the tune's timing might be too aggressive.

Comment

Right now I have my gauges go into warning territory at 200F, engine outlet temp, and go red at 210F.

What on track coolant temps do you guys stop pushing at? Last event I saw 210F and did a cooldown lap.

Comment

Working...
                        X