The Official Bring A Trailer (BaT) Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Duck360198 View Post

That BaT car caught the very tail end of a hot market. It's cooled significantly since then, as many have stated. That car had the benefit (which I don't quite understand what that benefit is) of having the "Rahal" name tied to it. I had the opportunity to buy that car at $75K 6+ months ago and couldn't justify it at all. Rahal put quite a bit into it to get it ready for BaT.

Since everyone continues to chime in on their opinion, my OPINION is that Mr.Wolfe has missed the boat on timing. The fantasy market has faded. Clean cars will still warrant a premium, just not as much as what they did 6+ months ago. I think you're going to be very disappointed if you put it on BaT because I don't think it's going to hit the number that you think it's worth and what people insist you can get...not with those mods. You can talk about how tasteful they are or whatever, but that market for a tastefully modified car are less than a bone stock example. I still contend that taking to stock is your best bet by far, but you're clearly not going to invest the money to do that...I get it.

Remind me Mr.Wolfe, did you install all the mods yourself? Did a shop? Are there receipts? Stock parts? It all makes a difference.
    I did everything myself as I don't trust others. Ian (OBIOBAN) helped me with the Beisan fixes and installing the Schrick Cams. I have many of the stock parts, but not all.

Mr. Wolfe

Comment

Originally posted by mtpktz View Post

EAG disagrees - https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/2...paign=atempest

BaT is always subject to having the right people in the right room at the same time - I believe Mr Wolfe's car will garner a lot of interest from the right people.

Bid for the chance to own a 36k-Mile 2006 BMW M3 Coupe Competition Package 6-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #77,989.

While the market has shifted in favor of buyers recently, special cars like Mr. Wolfe's will always command a premium. While the car in the auction above had m-tex, the quality of mods on Mr. Wolfe's car, including but not limited to an OEM CSL bootlid, more than negate the m-tex premium, IMO.
      Hard disagree there. While the OEM CSL trunk is a great addition, it’s never going to be seen in the same light as a car that has the M-Tex interior on its build sheet by a collector (the people who’d be willing to pay such a premium). That CSL trunk will never have an original, matching VIN tag on it. That stuff matters.

I heavily agree with Duck360198 that parting this car out would easily bring the most $ possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Interlagos View Post

Hard disagree there. While the OEM CSL trunk is a great addition, it’s never going to be seen in the same light as a car that has the M-Tex interior on its build sheet by a collector (the people who’d be willing to pay such a premium). That CSL trunk will never have an original, matching VIN tag on it. That stuff matters.

I heavily agree with Duck360198 that parting this car out would easily bring the most $ possible.
        I have the stock trunk.

Mr. Wolfe

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Wolfe View Post

I have the stock trunk.

Mr. Wolfe
          I’d swap it back on before listing and sell the OEM CSL trunk then, I figure an OEM CSL trunk in Interlagos is worth ~$2.5k+ to the right person.

I, like others here, am of the opinion that your car would bring the most $ possible by being as close to stock as possible.

Comment

I have the stock trunk.

Mr. Wolfe
            Leave it as it is. It is perfect right now for someone that is looking for a CSL clone and not someone that wants a bone stock US spec car. This is going to be a one of a kind IB build with proven mods everybody likes, same as that 90k 04 LSB. It is something different that hasn't been on BAT yet. A potential bone stock buyer may also wait and hope for the next slick top M texture car to pop up. But the guy that wants a CSL look knows damn well this is going to be it. The color of the calipers is the only thing that might not appeal to some buyers but I wouldn't touch it.

Set a high reserve (75-80k), and see what happens. If you take off the trunk then the front bumper, diffuser and brakes need to come off too. Yeah all those mods are worth up to 10 grand in the used car market but it is a lot of work to do even if you still have all the stock parts.

There are a million variables in play here, the only thing that really matter is whether the right buyer for your car is in the market now or 6 months from now and that is not something you will ever be in control of.
            2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
            2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
            2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Maxima SE View Post
              Set a high reserve (75-80k), and see what happens.
              You have to negotiate the reserve with BAT, you cannot simply set your own. I've heard mixed information about how difficult BAT can be on establishing the reserve pricing. Some say easy others say not. From BAT:

A reserve is the minimum price that a vehicle will sell for. We work with sellers to set reasonable reserves, and avoid vehicles with reserves that are not realistic. Reserve values are not shown on the listing, nor do we announce when reserves have been met (we think that leads to bidding games).
              3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by Maxima SE View Post

Leave it as it is. It is perfect right now for someone that is looking for a CSL clone and not someone that wants a bone stock US spec car. This is going to be a one of a kind IB build with proven mods everybody likes, same as that 90k 04 LSB. It is something different that hasn't been on BAT yet. A potential bone stock buyer may also wait and hope for the next slick top M texture car to pop up. But the guy that wants a CSL look knows damn well this is going to be it. The color of the calipers is the only thing that might not appeal to some buyers but I wouldn't touch it.

Set a high reserve (75-80k), and see what happens. If you take off the trunk then the front bumper, diffuser and brakes need to come off too. Yeah all those mods are worth up to 10 grand in the used car market but it is a lot of work to do even if you still have all the stock parts.

There are a million variables in play here, the only thing that really matter is whether the right buyer for your car is in the market now or 6 months from now and that is not something you will ever be in control of.
                This is my exact intention. I want to negotiate a minimum $75k reserve with BaT. If it doesn't sell or I can't get a decent reserve, I may part the car over the winter. I am really hoping this is not the case, but who knows. Not everyone paying premiums are car collectors. (04 LSB for $90k) Some are folks that always dreamed of having a "new" e46M, but couldn't afford them when they were new (like me). Now, that they are more established in life, they want to find the most "new" version they can find. If they are into modding cars, it doesn't get much better than this one IMHO.

The bottom line is, if there isn't at least 2 people who really want my car, it won't fetch huge money.

Mr. Wolfe
                Last edited by Mr. Wolfe; 08-15-2022, 03:41 PM.

Comment

ZCP (roughly, its a notes field so hopefully I captured them all) with manual transmission sold in 2021 and 2022 with under 50k miles.

Average: $62,386
                  Average for just IB: $66,000
                  3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

This is my exact intention. I want to negotiate a minimum $75k reserve with BaT. If it doesn't sell or I can't get a decent reserve, I may part the car over the winter. I am really hoping this is not the case, but who knows. Not everyone paying premiums are car collectors. (04 LSB for $90k) Some are folks that always dreamed of having a "new" e46M, but couldn't afford them when they were new (like me). Now, that they are more established in life, they want to find the most "new" version they can find. If they are into modding cars, it doesn't get much better than this one IMHO.

The bottom line is, if there isn't at least 2 people who really want my car, it won't fetch huge money.

Mr. Wolfe
                    2 people bidding in $250 increments isn't the bid activity you want. You need to appeal to more than that and it seems like a stock car raises a bit more interest. Remember, BaT is going to throw a big fat "MODIFIED" at the front of the auction title and then the questions and speculation from the peanut gallery and armchair experts begins. And sorry to say, but lack of receipts isn't going to help the case one bit. I understand not trusting anyone and doing stuff yourself, but nobody in BaT world knows you and quite frankly the BaT world isn't going to care if someone of "forum fame" touched your car. People want history, especially a car of this pedigree.

There are a ton of unknown factors to take into account, all this speculation, and none of it matters because the fact is you already know the path you want to take. So just post it on BaT and let it ride. If it doesn't hit the reserve then you've got the winter to decide how you want to approach it in time for Spring, but obviously it won't be going on BaT again. All I know is that a declining market and upcoming crap weather for a large portion of the country is not in your favor at the moment. Am I understanding that BaT has accepted the car, you just haven't agreed to a reserve? Seems like the people I've chatted with have said the wait list is quite lengthy at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Duck360198 View Post

2 people bidding in $250 increments isn't the bid activity you want. You need to appeal to more than that and it seems like a stock car raises a bit more interest. Remember, BaT is going to throw a big fat "MODIFIED" at the front of the auction title and then the questions and speculation from the peanut gallery and armchair experts begins. And sorry to say, but lack of receipts isn't going to help the case one bit. I understand not trusting anyone and doing stuff yourself, but nobody in BaT world knows you and quite frankly the BaT world isn't going to care if someone of "forum fame" touched your car. People want history, especially a car of this pedigree.

There are a ton of unknown factors to take into account, all this speculation, and none of it matters because the fact is you already know the path you want to take. So just post it on BaT and let it ride. If it doesn't hit the reserve then you've got the winter to decide how you want to approach it in time for Spring, but obviously it won't be going on BaT again. All I know is that a declining market and upcoming crap weather for a large portion of the country is not in your favor at the moment. Am I understanding that BaT has accepted the car, you just haven't agreed to a reserve? Seems like the people I've chatted with have said the wait list is quite lengthy at the moment.
                      I'm the opposite and I know for a fact I am not the only one. I will take an enthusiast maintained car every time over a dealership maintained car. This car has only been to the dealership twice in my ownership and both times I had to fix their mistakes. (2 different dealerships) They do not give 2 sh!ts about your car, believe me. If I look at someone's car and it is in fantastic condition and they said they maintain the car themselves, I totally get that person. If they maintain it themselves and it is a pile, that's different. Some people maintain it themselves to save money and some do it to save money and have it done correctly. There is only 1 dealership that I 100% trust my car with and they are not near me.

The car is not finished nor on BaT. Waiting on new steering wheel trim.

Mr. Wolfe

Comment

I'm the opposite and I know for a fact I am not the only one. I will take an enthusiast maintained car every time over a dealership maintained car. This car has only been to the dealership twice in my ownership and both times I had to fix their mistakes. (2 different dealerships) They do not give 2 sh!ts about your car, believe me. If I look at someone's car and it is in fantastic condition and they said they maintain the car themselves, I totally get that person. If they maintain it themselves and it is a pile, that's different. Some people maintain it themselves to save money and some do it to save money and have it done correctly. There is only 1 dealership that I 100% trust my car with and they are not near me.

The car is not finished nor on BaT. Waiting on new steering wheel trim.

Mr. Wolfe
                        Yes, I 100% agree with you. My preference is the exact same. I’m just speaking in terms of the typical BaT buyer and the same tired questions asked in every auction.

Comment

Can I get a list of mods on this thing?

Mine has similar mileage and is a serialized S3-R, and I don't think mine is worth anywhere close to these numbers being thrown around.
                          2004 Dinan S3-R M3
                          2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

Originally posted by 9kracing View Post

Mine has similar mileage and is a serialized S3-R, and I don't think mine is worth anywhere close to these numbers being thrown around.
                            Mods are probably listed someone in this thread, not going through them again. SuperSprint, Brembo, Schrick, CSL, Karbonius, ASS, etc. Over $22k in mods and that's zero labor cost. '06 IB w/ 29k miles.

Mr. Wolfe

Comment

Originally posted by 9kracing View Post

S2 below did really well. If your manual, low mileage, with excellent exterior/interior condition I don't see why you wouldn't do well. SMG is a penalty and good color combo would add even more. Post pics and we can all tell you exactly how much your car sucks.

Bid for the chance to own a 30k-Mile 2004 BMW M3 Dinan S2 Coupe 6-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #67,091.

Pre covid sale that did less than ok by today's crazy standards:

Bid for the chance to own a No Reserve: 2004 BMW M3 Dinan S3 Coupe 6-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #22,988.

Comment

Oh, that's actually pretty low mileage, I thought I read it was 39.

Car is very nice, and you can tell its clean from the pics.

I just personally don't see 75K, but maybe I don't have a very good grasp on the market still.
                                2004 Dinan S3-R M3
                                2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

Working...
                                X