The Official Bring A Trailer (BaT) Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlueBimmers View Post

That seems a bit harsh. Seems like involved seller, did a lot of work inc. Big 3 and only drove car 6K in three years. I'd want to get more than I paid if I was seller. But then I own a 06 ZCP so maybe I'm biased.
    Yeah... The question is whether "the market" appreciates that work as much as we do here.

maw

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBimmers View Post
      Except I drive a used car that has increased in value, which is a nice warm fuzzy. Or in my case, two! ;-)
      Beats ALL odds... especially when you drive one that goes parabolic after you buy it... fun as hell!!

maw

Comment

Originally posted by PetrolM3 View Post
        Here's one that's a reality check as it relates to all that goes into valuation of these cars - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2001-bmw-m3-coupe-25/

LSB coupe 6MT alone is not enough to fetch top $. High mileage, non-original interior, pre-LCI, not exactly well maintained/refreshed and IMO poor presentation (especially with the LCM tamper dot issue).

I think it was a decent deal for someone who really wanted LSB but again, it goes to show that LSB alone does not equal big money when the rest is sub-par.

I was the high bidder on this car and am currently working out a deal with the seller. I think your analysis is spot on.

I’ve wanted one of these cars, especially in LSB, since they came out when I was in high school. It maybe a bit of a cliche to buy at my age (mid-life crisis) but it’s something I’ve wanted for more than half my life and it’s now becoming a reality.

I’m super excited but tempering my excitement with the reality that this is a 23 year old car with 131k miles and will need some work.

The plan is to restore the car into a high quality driver that I can enjoy guilt free.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammerfang View Post
          I was the high bidder on this car and am currently working out a deal with the seller. I think your analysis is spot on.

I’ve wanted one of these cars, especially in LSB, since they came out when I was in high school. It maybe a bit of a cliche to buy at my age (mid-life crisis) but it’s something I’ve wanted for more than half my life and it’s now becoming a reality.

I’m super excited but tempering my excitement with the reality that this is a 23 year old car with 131k miles and will need some work.

The plan is to restore the car into a high quality driver that I can enjoy guilt free.
          I think for that, if you can get it for $28k and put another $10k into it, you won't be driving around in it feeling silly. It'll be worth more or less what you have into it as an experience, and you can afford the few grand here or there.

GL

maw

Comment

That’s the plan, I had bid on the LSB over LSB car
            on BaT a few weeks ago and the cost started to get out of hand to the point I wouldn’t want to drive it.

This car (hopefully) gets me a more enjoyable experience at a lower cost.

I don’t know if I’ll own the car forever but needed to scratch the itch and this seems like the best way to do it.

Comment

Congrats dude, you won't be disappointed but just be prepared to drop some cash to refresh.

I'm embarrassed (well not really) how much I've spent over the years on what is quite possibly the highest maintenance yet most rewarding driver's car there is.
              2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Thanks, I previously had an 03 330i and have literally spent decades at this point reading up about these cars so I have a pretty good idea of what I’m getting myself into.

Comment

Good. My recommendation, if you plan to keep it a couple or more years, is to replace common failing parts so you don't get stranded or left chasing your tail trying to diag certain shit.

There is a maintenance sticky somewhere that is pretty good but I'd recommend tps sensors, cam sensors, fuel pump, fuel filter, coils, cooling system refresh, fluids, gaskets, and common leak points. This chassis is notorious for a short interval sensor replacement imho.
                  2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

I don’t know if I’ll own the car forever but needed to scratch the itch and this seems like the best way to do it.
                    Oh yeah, it's an M car, no doubt.

maw

Comment

Thanks for the input, I plan on taking the car into the shop and having a full once over with a minimum of fluids and tires. Depending on what they find I may drive the car for a bit before going doing a major overhaul.

It’s already had the Besian kit installed and rod bearings as part of the recall (although they could be redone at this point) and apparently the sub-frame is intact.

Comment

Thanks for the input, I plan on taking the car into the shop and having a full once over with a minimum of fluids and tires. Depending on what they find I may drive the car for a bit before going doing a major overhaul.

It’s already had the Besian kit installed and rod bearings as part of the recall (although they could be redone at this point) and apparently the sub-frame is intact.
                        When I got my car from a questionable place I took it to my trusted mechanic and asked them to put things into "need to do, nice to do, later in life" kinda buckets. Perhaps that approach might work for you to avoid some initial sticker shock.

After a couple of years of ownership it is extremely dialed in now and I couldn't be happier. I have way more into it than what's it worth (double, maybe) - but I love it so I don't care. Ha.

Congrats.

Comment

Thanks! Hoping I don’t have to spend what the car cost but have already am allocating $15k for maintenance/restoration.

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post
                            I'm gonna say this goes for $40k... over and under?

Bid for the chance to own a No Reserve: 2003 BMW M3 Coupe 6-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #151,159.

maw

EDIT... I really think $35k + Fees, but saying $40k to prove a point... 2 owner, under 100k miles, 6MT, Mass car says probably not driven in winter, undercarriage confirms, classic color combo w/Imola, last of the great inline 6 and all that fun stuff, stack of paperwork... car checks a lot of boxes for that number... not much to buy that checks all those boxes for that cash... any more, buy something else.
                            Sold for $24k…

Comment

Originally posted by Interlagos View Post

Sold for $24k…
                              I saw that... seems like a deal to me... but I paid that for mine way back when, so... these cars in the right color and shape feel like a deal to me up until around $35k-$40k... after that not so much... I understand classic silver isn't saying enough for this crowd.

maw

Comment

Originally posted by Interlagos View Post

Sold for $24k…
                                haha

jet_dogg

Comment

Working...
                                X