The Official Bring A Trailer (BaT) Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
    I'm looking at 335i's currently...so my M3 doesn't get beat on so much, damn this rapid appreciation.
    I really enjoy daily driving my e92 335i n55 w/ Msport
    Last edited by Tom Day; 10-27-2021, 11:08 AM.

Comment

For some reason these darker colored cars are starting to grow on me...

maw

Comment

Not an m3, but, how about a FUNctional daily?

Just some old shitty cars.

Comment

I'm looking at 335i's currently...so my M3 doesn't get beat on so much, damn this rapid appreciation.
          Skip the 335i and get a 335d. A lot more torque and double the average MPG + 10x more reliable in my experience. It's nice not to be replacing things every month. My 335d is the best daily driver I've ever had. 550 wtq feels so good and you can get 40+ on the highway and 30ish in the city.

Are N54's really that unreliable, like S85 territory or what? The reason I want an N54 is the ability to make some power without spending like I have to make NA power on the M3. Plus that 335i chassis seams like it could make a halfway decent autocross platform.
          N54 is way more hassle and bullshit once you tune it than an S85. S85 is actually really reliable as long as you do preventative maintenace instead of waiting for a problem to occur. I swear to God I saw a guy post a customer's S85 and it had 220k+ miles on stock rod bearings and everything. Not saying you shouldn't do the rod bearings but if you treat the engine right the way it deserves, it's super solid.
          Last edited by EthanolTurbo; 10-30-2021, 01:47 AM.
          Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post

Skip the 335i and get a 335d. A lot more torque and double the average MPG + 10x more reliable in my experience. It's nice not to be replacing things every month. My 335d is the best daily driver I've ever had. 550 wtq feels so good and you can get 40+ on the highway and 30ish in the city.

N54 is way more hassle and bullshit once you tune it than an S85. S85 is actually really reliable as long as you do preventative maintenace instead of waiting for a problem to occur. I swear to God I saw a guy post a customer's S85 and it had 220k+ miles on stock rod bearings and everything. Not saying you shouldn't do the rod bearings but if you treat the engine right the way it deserves, it's super solid.
            Well, I'll have my hands full, I bought a pretty rough FBO 335i from a 22yo., brand new turbos though. Already finding plenty of things I need to do, I have 3 separate fluid leaks.
            2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
            Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
            Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
            RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
            Instagram

Comment

Well, I'll have my hands full, I bought a pretty rough FBO 335i from a 22yo., brand new turbos though. Already finding plenty of things I need to do, I have 3 separate fluid leaks.
              Ooof. Much luck comrade.
              Just some old shitty cars.

Comment

I have an e70 x5 diesel, same engine as the 335d, and can confirm very reliable, lots of torque, and good mpg. Great towing machine too.
                E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
                Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

Since we are talking about daily drivers I just bought this W204 C63 AMG. Flew up and drove it home yesterday. So far so good. I was going back and forth between an E39 M5 and this W204 C63 AMG (and a bunch of newer cars) but since it is a daily I decided the automatic was a better choice for me and the seats are awesome when compared to an M5 IMO. It does have paddle shifters and a manual mode but it isn't particularly good in that there is a noticeable delay on shift (my SMG in manual mode has spoiled me), getting a transmission tune to help with that. First order of business? Head bolts as preventative maintenance. Ahhh Germany.

Pluses: 450 hp and 440 ft-lbs torque, exhaust is phenomenal, seats are tremendous.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...nz-c63-amg-22/
                  Last edited by oceansize; 10-30-2021, 11:47 AM.
                  3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post
                    First order of business? Head bolts as preventative maintenance.
                    While you have the cam covers off, I highly recommend you check the camshafts for wear.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosie View Post

While you have the cam covers off, I highly recommend you check the camshafts for wear.
                      Will do. I’m replacing lifters, head bolts, phaser bolts, rod bearing bolts, tappets, etc.
                      3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by liam821 View Post

I have an e70 x5 diesel, same engine as the 335d, and can confirm very reliable, lots of torque, and good mpg. Great towing machine too.
                        I'm about to get one of those as a towing vehicle. They are probably the best all around SUV for under 30. Love the rugged design too. You're a lucky guy!! Have you seen Evan Patak's E70 X5D?

Comment

Since we are talking about daily drivers I just bought this W204 C63 AMG. Flew up and drove it home yesterday. So far so good. I was going back and forth between an E39 M5 and this W204 C63 AMG (and a bunch of newer cars) but since it is a daily I decided the automatic was a better choice for me and the seats are awesome when compared to an M5 IMO. It does have paddle shifters and a manual mode but it isn't particularly good in that there is a noticeable delay on shift (my SMG in manual mode has spoiled me), getting a transmission tune to help with that. First order of business? Head bolts as preventative maintenance. Ahhh Germany.

Pluses: 450 hp and 440 ft-lbs torque, exhaust is phenomenal, seats are tremendous.

Wow that is a badass car, and so mint. I have the feeling these will be future classics very soon. This is the kind of car that induces a joy-boner with every drive.

Comment

I'm about to get one of those as a towing vehicle. They are probably the best all around SUV for under 30. Love the rugged design too. You're a lucky guy!! Have you seen Evan Patak's E70 X5D?
                            We bought our 2011 X5D brand new and have owned it ever since. 154k miles on it now and still going strong! I have seen his X5 on xbimmers, super clean, I really like the look of the Camaro wheels on the X5 - looks great!
                            E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
                            Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

Be careful... AMG is a disease... you might not buy another torqueless wonder... horses vs ponies... enjoy!!

On that particular car, hopefully it already has the head bolt work done. That's an Achilles heel. Also, be sure to change the transmission fluid right away if it hasn't been done already. PM me for more details, as I'm primarily a MB AMG guy. The E46M Cabrio is a fun, playful diversion for me.

I agree that the SMG transmission puts this vintage AMG transmissions to shame. I know, I know, BMW guys can't imagine that the SMG is actually damned good. I'm not sure how much a tune will fix that. I'm interested to hear actually. A lot of MB transmission pros are hugely in favor of tunes and Redline Racing fluid in those boxes. Congrats; looks like you got a peach!

FWIW, I think the M156 is one of the best sounding engines ever... certainly one of the best MB or AMG engines... second only to perhaps the Pagani Zonda... I can't think of anything BMW ever made that sounds as good.

maw
                              Last edited by maw1124; 10-30-2021, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Congrats brother, my cousin has a black c63 that gen that I always liked but never drove. She bought it new and I told her to never get rid of it.

I'll ask if she knows about these issues but probably forum paranoia like every other issue.
                                2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Working...
                                X