The Official Bring A Trailer (BaT) Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oceansize View Post

I feel you. There are levels to this, as you know, and when you get around people that really have money, I mean genuinely have IDGAF money, you quickly realize everything you think is good they think sucks. If whatever you are doing isn't for the track their whole outlook is why would you even bother? I'm on the periphery of one such group due to a set of circumstances and lets just say I've learned a lot about how the truly wealthy auto enthusiast/collector/racer thinks. I can't go there because for one I don't have that money but I also just can't be that big a dick. It isn't in me to get my panties that high and tight, I'm too down to earth.
    Those are my guys, except for my crew: (1) they're not dicks; and (2) they actually race cars and own racing teams or worked in the pit crews all their life. But they have IDGAF money and have for a long time. So they really, truly KNOW WTF they're talking about and doing. They also take care of my cars. So their attitude is "you're not even driving the car at the limit so why bother?" Which actually makes damned good sense to me. So I tend to run my suggestions through them AFTER I run it through "chat room guys" first -- best of both worlds.

maw

PS... Admittedly, I have run across some real, actual, bonafide, dicks in these "rich car guy" circles.
    Last edited by maw1124; 01-12-2022, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post

So mine came with one of these, and I've debated internally getting rid of it and going back to stock. Then I got a tune and noticed a midrange torque bump (nothing huge, no dyno). Will going back to stock intake produce even more lower end torque (where I spend most of my time)?

Is it conclusive that the K&N robs torque? Is that from heat, air velocity, what? It seems counterintuitive to me (more air flow) but I'm sure people here have paid more attention to it on this car than I have.
      If you like the sound just keep it. You might lose like a tiny amount of power if it's really hot. I have had one for a while and I notice no difference vs stock in the real actual world.
      http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
      '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
      '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
        If you like the sound just keep it. You might lose like a tiny amount of power if it's really hot. I have had one for a while and I notice no difference vs stock in the real actual world.
        Thanks Nate047. It’s never bothered me. That said, I’ve nothing to compare it to.

I’d thought of doing a Borla midpipe but I can’t seem to find those anymore. And then I came to enjoy the distinctive rasp of the car, so… I mean, I have enough throaty V8’s roaming around, so this is a different vibe. Trying to make this sound like that just lost its appeal.

But by the same token if the stock intake is demonstrably better… better is a prime number.

maw
        Last edited by maw1124; 01-12-2022, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Factory BMW formula one engineering versus K&N tube + porous filter = gAiNz ya that's a tough one

😋
          DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
          /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
          More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
            Factory BMW formula one engineering versus K&N tube + porous filter = gAiNz ya that's a tough one

😋
            Fair…😏

I just thought of something… a few years back I had an all access pass to a local Grand Prix… which got me up close and personal to a few of the BMW racers… they were running the E9X engines, Turner stickers etc all over them… and with the hood up, what did I spy except K&N filters…

These companies do funny shit for their road going vehicles, assuming regular consumers are stupid, lazy, cheap, etc. It wouldn’t surprise me if they figured the retail consumer wouldn’t take well enough care of the K&N filter even though it’s technically better. Just like they code out the timing advance from the ECU, creating an entire tuning industry, assuming I don’t know, that we’re all gonna put the cheapest gas available in our Motorsport vehicles.

One of my guys always complains about the AMG cars on the track because you can’t disable all of the nanny controls. Most but not all, and being a real racer and team owner, he can actually feel the difference. He is not me. He once got them to disable everything on an SLS during a driving event — but they had to ride with him a few times first and once they figured out he wouldn’t be satisfied, they plugged the car up and did the real. I bought a classic performance Benz from him that sports (drumroll) K&N filters. His childhood best friend and former pit crew boss takes care of that car and this one now for me. And he sees no problem with the K&N filters, even in SoFL.

But they get so much internet shade, I wonder if people know something others don’t. You know, learn something every day sort of thing…

😉🤔

maw
            Attached Files
            Last edited by maw1124; 01-12-2022, 03:10 PM.

Comment

IDK, I was just making an emotional plea using a logical fallacy.

Similar to our supreme court these days.

IMO, you only replace factory with aftermarket if there's a known flaw or if the compromise the aftermarket part makes suits your needs versus the compromise the factory part makes (everything's a compromise).

In E36 days, we all wanted/had a CAI. BMW goes and gives us one in the E46 and we just can't help ourselves Though, had they given all S54s a carbon airbox, that might have done the trick.
              DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
              /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
              More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Just realized mine is actually AFE not K&N, but they're pretty much the same. People are going to way overthink it. The stock intake vent from the kidney area is still there so you get cold air still, there's also the opening underneath the filter that takes air from the brake duct, and there's a heat shield around the filter. The intake sound is nice, and if you lose what, maybe 5hp at redline on the hottest day of the summer but get to enjoy a nice sound, who really gives a shit?
                '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Though, had they given all S54s a carbon airbox, that might have done the trick.
                  Yes... just ask RENNtech... it's insane what people were and are still paying for carbon fiber intakes in the performance Benz circles... even though they're now old, discolored, shitty looking and PROVEN to be worse than the stock ones. Go figure...

maw

Comment

IDK, I was just making an emotional plea using a logical fallacy.

Similar to our supreme court these days.

IMO, you only replace factory with aftermarket if there's a known flaw or if the compromise the aftermarket part makes suits your needs versus the compromise the factory part makes (everything's a compromise).

In E36 days, we all wanted/had a CAI. BMW goes and gives us one in the E46 and we just can't help ourselves Though, had they given all S54s a carbon airbox, that might have done the trick.
                    It's honestly just the added intake sound, I like that and that alone is worth the intangible loss of power which isn't even noticeable in the real world.
                    '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

The 33k mile 05 ZCP is a somewhat rare and desirable spec, is super clean, is well presented, has lots of records and documentation, and most of the mods (however ricy they may be) are easily reversible with the included original parts. Apparently the headers are BMW CSL parts. I agree that the owner should have just removed most of those "mods" before the listing the car, however it has the recipe for good money.
                      2003 Imola Red M3 w/ SMG

Comment

Originally posted by K-Dawg View Post
                        The 33k mile 05 ZCP is a somewhat rare and desirable spec, is super clean, is well presented, has lots of records and documentation, and most of the mods (however ricy they may be) are easily reversible with the included original parts. Apparently the headers are BMW CSL parts. I agree that the owner should have just removed most of those "mods" before the listing the car, however it has the recipe for good money.
                        And now, for a directly contrary example... https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9lR..._campaign=hero

Stock when we wish it wasn't...

maw
                        Last edited by maw1124; 01-13-2022, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Those grey floor mats are a nice touch...
                          3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post
                            Those grey floor mats are a nice touch...
                            I have a set if you're serious... in much better condition of course... I ended up going away from them in favor of permanent all weathers... haven't decided whether to keep them or not... they've been in a box for about 8 years... PM me if interested.

maw

Comment

I'm just here for the 85k BAT Instagram sale post from yesterday...
                              2006 ///M3 6MT Coupe Jet Black Track Car
                              [Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

Comment

Someone convince me that I should not sell my 05 ZCP IB + Cinnamon 6spd for this gorgeous Dinan S2 '11 e90 M3 DCT.

Bid for the chance to own a No Reserve: 2011 BMW M3 Dinan S2 Sedan at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #63,492.

I'm hoping it goes to 40k+ so its out of my range...

Comment

Working...
                                X