The Official Bring A Trailer (BaT) Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by usdmej View Post

what type of person purchases a new sports car, drives it less than 300 miles per year, and then after 16 years decides they have to sell it

i'm not saying this in a negative way, i'm just genuinely curious
    Yeah, I definitely think it’s someone who has multiple cars. Maybe not multiple E46’s or even multiple BMW’s. We got our low mileage one-owner car from a gentleman in his 60s a few months ago who had a previous M3 and saw the alpine white in the show room and had to have it. So he traded his carbon black in for it. His intent was to keep it as a retirement car. In the meantime he had three classic mopar’s. Retirement rolled around and he wanted the top of the line Durango demon or whatever because of grandchildren. He just enjoys the American muscle.

i guess everyone’s situation is different.

Comment

Originally posted by Duck360198 View Post

Yeah, I definitely think it’s someone who has multiple cars. Maybe not multiple E46’s or even multiple BMW’s. We got our low mileage one-owner car from a gentleman in his 60s a few months ago who had a previous M3 and saw the alpine white in the show room and had to have it. So he traded his carbon black in for it. His intent was to keep it as a retirement car. In the meantime he had three classic mopar’s. Retirement rolled around and he wanted the top of the line Durango demon or whatever because of grandchildren. He just enjoys the American muscle.

i guess everyone’s situation is different.
      Post some pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

It's so odd reading about people fetishizing these low mileage production cars that were meant to be driven.
        2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Jackpot !

Bid for the chance to own a 15k-Mile 2001 BMW M5 at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #60,539.

Bid for the chance to own a 8k-Mile 2013 BMW M3 Competition Package at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #60,569.

2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
          2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
          2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
            It's so odd reading about people fetishizing these low mileage production cars that were meant to be driven.
            Fetishizing? More like bought them and forgot about them... between the multiple homes and cars, boats, kids and grandkids, years pass and the cars don't get driven... especially if there's something else they like driving more... like a convertible (jokes)... it happens.

The buyer just gets a car that hasn't been abused. And for Motorsport Division 3 Series cars, that's pretty damned rare. They're "too affordable" to avoid the hands of those who would abuse but cannot afford to care for them, as we know. I was happy to find an adult driven one over 10 years ago. Today that's damned near impossible (although the low milers popping up on BaT and EAG are proving me wrong).

maw
            Last edited by maw1124; 11-22-2021, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post

Fetishizing? More like bought them and forgot about them... between the multiple homes and cars, boats, kids and grandkids, years pass and the cars don't get driven... especially if there's something else they like driving more... like a convertible (jokes)... it happens.

The buyer just gets a car that hasn't been abused. And for Motorsport Division 3 Series cars, that's pretty damned rare. They're "too affordable" to avoid the hands of those who would abuse but cannot afford to care for them, as we know. I was happy to find an adult driven one over 10 years ago. Today that's damned near impossible (although the low milers popping up on BaT and EAG are proving me wrong).

maw
              Hi maw,

You misunderstood my post, I'm talking about potential buyers and tire kickers fetishizing these high volume production cars.

j_d
              2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Hi maw,

You misunderstood my post, I'm talking about potential buyers and tire kickers fetishizing these high volume production cars.

j_d
                HA! maw1124 hit the nail on the head as it looks like the owner of the car provided some history and he's driving his M240i convertible more. Well done Maw.

I can see why people gush about the M3. It seems like those that are "fetishizing" over it are those who had posters of them on their walls as a kid. Now that they're at a place financially where they can get one, why not get one that's essentially brand new? You don't have to drive it balls to the wall to enjoy it. I understand that's where it shines. To each their own, obviously, but I geek out a bit more when I see an ultra low-mileage time capsule 1-owner car with a full story behind it vs. a 6-owner car with 140K and moderate damage to the front and rear per the carfax and minimal service records. Maybe it's because I got my daily driving fix back in my DINK days and now I'm content with a leisurely weekend stroll with some spirited sections on my routine drive.

Comment

for me the interest is more in the circumstances that lead to the low mileage, pristine condition, and decision to sell

someone had the means to maintain/detail/register/insure/store a vehicle that they gave at most a couple hours of actual use to per year over the decades they owned it, and now they're just going to get rid of it?

absolutely fascinating

Comment

They're out there. The owner of my MB 500E owned a racing team (full salary -- think of what that costs) and had over 20 cars. My mechanic was his childhood friend and former pit crew boss who made the introduction. When he decided to sell this one to me, it was because I happened to be the type of guy he wanted to sell it to. Car was never listed for sale. He was waiting for the right buyer, and basically gave the car to me. He was in zero rush to sell and didn't care about top dollar -- just a fair price. We're still friends. I've come across countless such guys; 10 or 12 when I was looking for that car and this E46M. I think "collectors" is a generational thing. I'm an enthusiast but don't view myself as a collector of things. But I absolutely relish having met so many great people along the enthusiast path.

maw
                    Last edited by maw1124; 11-23-2021, 07:33 AM.

Comment

for me the interest is more in the circumstances that lead to the low mileage, pristine condition, and decision to sell

someone had the means to maintain/detail/register/insure/store a vehicle that they gave at most a couple hours of actual use to per year over the decades they owned it, and now they're just going to get rid of it?

absolutely fascinating
                      This to me is far more fascinating as well, the psychological mindset behind it.

My car is a one owner car as well, something no purchaser of a used car will ever know is the entire history of a vehicle down to the details.

Comment

absolutely fascinating

This to me is far more fascinating as well, the psychological mindset behind it.

My car is a one owner car as well, something no purchaser of a used car will ever know is the entire history of a vehicle down to the details.
                        The man I bought my low mileage C63 AMG from on BAT was in his 70s. Owns or has owned Ferraris (even raced them), Lambos, air cooled Porsches, lots of classic Mercedes Benz (owns a couple grey market to boot), etc. etc. Every one of them single owner, very low mileage. I'm guessing he walked out and played "Eeny, meeny, miny, moe" to determine which car he drove. Really cool guy, but he is getting older and I think simply made the decision it was time to part with a few.
                        3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

I think it is cool to see a handful "saved" to look back on for the future as the templates for restoring our used cars. I don't like how the market has over-corrected itself to where people are buying cars to just mothball them now waiting for a few years to cash out. That is what is sad because those people get the allocations for newer sports cars and take away potential owners who would use them all while marking the prices up in the future.

Comment

Hot off the press with this result.
                            Bid for the chance to own a 4,700-Mile 2005 BMW M3 Coupe 6-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #60,504.
                            2012 E92 M3 Competition - LeMans Blue / Speed Cloth - 6MT
                            [SOLD] 2004 E46 M3 Coupe - Carbon Black / Black - 6MT

Comment

$91k beats the LSB record holder (if it even was a record given details of that auction)

Comment

Pretty damn impressive, especially for a non-ZCP car. Which begs the question…how much does that same car bring as a ZCP?

Comment

Working...
                                X