The Official Bring A Trailer (BaT) Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PetrolM3 View Post

Point taken but let’s be honest - who else buys this kind of a specimen other than wealthy people?
    Stupid people, for one. Enthusiasts for another. Dealers for a third. Crypto kids for a fourth. Wealthy people would be last in the list IMO. The thought process tends to be a little different. Just something I’ve observed close hand for almost 30 years.

maw

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post

A couple things. If a person buys a 50k plus car as a daily and that person is the least bit worried about money then they goofed. However, man do I know quite a few really dumb people who do exactly that.

I would discuss this particular car with this one thought in mind, do I see this car beating inflation over the long haul? No, I do not see this car beating inflation (significantly) and thus it isn't a good "collector" car (obviously IMO).

Maybe if they sit on it for a very long time it does beat inflation significantly. So from my point-of-view, you have a car that sits in the garage, doesn't make you any significant money, and you can't drive it. Again, unless you're quite wealthy then who cares.
      The aw, slicktop, 12k, one owner car didn't beat it. Owner should have driven it more

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

The aw, slicktop, 12k, one owner car didn't beat it. Owner should have driven it more
        You can't take it with ya and none of us are getting out of here alive...
        3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post

Stupid people, for one. Enthusiasts for another. Dealers for a third. Crypto kids for a fourth. Wealthy people would be last in the list IMO. The thought process tends to be a little different. Just something I’ve observed close hand for almost 30 years.

maw
          No matter which of the groups you listed they belong to, anyone buying a $100K e46 in 2024 is wealthy. Show me a single buyer of those cars who isn’t.. once again - the seller of the jet black car is clearly a wealthy individual. That’s who buys these cars, not the enthusiasts who likely live paycheque to paycheque or close to it. Even the dealers who flip these aren’t your average nickle and dimers.. these individuals can clearly afford to dump 100k into a car that may or may not be profitable. How many non wealthy people can do that?
          Last edited by PetrolM3; 06-08-2024, 08:12 AM.

Comment

none of us are getting out of here alive...
            I approve of all Doors references.

Comment

That is a car I don't understand. All the value, every single penny is tied to mileage because on the rarity scale it is at zero (with 10 being most rare). Meaning that car can never be driven more than a few hundred or so miles per year unless the new owner simply has so much money they don't care (and that is possible).
              Was thinking exactly the same re this auction. But my brand of enthusiasm isn't necessarily the new owner's.
              Interlagos 06 M3, Autologic tune, Agency Power midpipes/exhaust, Fortune Auto coilovers, UUC SSK, Bluebus, Lightwerkz retrofit. MRegistry listing here

Comment

https://www.ebay.com/itm/166760349285?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=qIxCtBFWRfC&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=onLnyLG6 R_ i&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Has anyone else seen this 135k mile ‘02 Techno Violet/M-Texture on eBay for $80k…? lol

Awesome spec but that price makes absolutely zero sense, especially considering that’s not even the original M-Tex interior.
                Last edited by Interlagos; 06-10-2024, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Interlagos View Post
                  https://www.ebay.com/itm/166760349285?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=qIxCtBFWRfC&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=onLnyLG6 R_ i&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Has anyone else seen this 135k mile ‘02 Techno Violet/M-Texture on eBay for $80k…? lol

Awesome spec but that price makes absolutely zero sense, especially considering that’s not even the original M-Tex interior.
                  The only thing finding that ad did was renew my love for Techno Violet. I have decided i'll be doing a full color change from JB to TV on my M3 in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Interlagos View Post

Pros
                    1. Great color
                    2. Interior looks fantastic with the exterior
                    3. Big three done (I'd still want top side but close enough)
                    4. Newish clutch/pp
                    5. Lots of new OE parts, nicely done.
                    Cons:
                    1. Pre LCI so MK20
                    2. 135k miles (con since the asking price)
                    3. Those photos are enhanced and taken under lighting conditions that yield the best presentation. Smart, but I know that isn't what it really looks like on the outside.
                    IMO the owner is off by $30k to $40k. Maybe someone who is dying for purple, doesn't DIY, and has money to burn will buy. Owner wants their money back, but I'm not giving it to them. Again, really nice looking car.
                    3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Pros
                      1. Great color
                      2. Interior looks fantastic with the exterior
                      3. Big three done (I'd still want top side but close enough)
                      4. Newish clutch/pp
                      5. Lots of new OE parts, nicely done.
                      Cons:
                      1. Pre LCI so MK20
                      2. 135k miles (con since the asking price)
                      3. Those photos are enhanced and taken under lighting conditions that yield the best presentation. Smart, but I know that isn't what it really looks like on the outside.
                      IMO the owner is off by $30k to $40k. Maybe someone who is dying for purple, doesn't DIY, and has money to burn will buy. Owner wants their money back, but I'm not giving it to them. Again, really nice looking car.
                      You sir, are good. This apparently was listed (not sold) in NY in 2021 for 50k.

Comment

IMO the owner is off by $30k to $40k... Again, really nice looking car.
                        Are you implying an E46M is a $40k car -- specifically this one despite special color and Big3 and "rare spec"? Shocking! Aghast! That's heresy!

maw

Comment

That's a 25-30k car.
                          2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post

Are you implying an E46M is a $40k car -- specifically this one despite special color and Big3 and "rare spec"? Shocking! Aghast! That's heresy!

maw
                            It's closer to being a $40K car than the asking price because of such high mileage and non-original interior, not because all E46 cars are worth $40K regardless of miles and spec as per your analogy. If this car was LCI, had less than 60K miles and the interior was original, it would easily fetch even more than the asking price.
                            Last edited by PetrolM3; 06-11-2024, 09:19 AM.

Comment

If the original interior was Dove Grey, then I would think the M-Texture would be worth quite a bit more, despite not being original.

Still, pre-LCI car with 135k miles, I also think it's about 30K too high.
                              2004 Dinan S3-R M3
                              2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

If we're looking for ambitious pricing here's one that's sat on Hagerty's marketplace for a couple of months. Very clean, but the Hagerty valuations have gone to his head: https://www.hagerty.com/marketplace/...a-24aa42664abe
                                Interlagos 06 M3, Autologic tune, Agency Power midpipes/exhaust, Fortune Auto coilovers, UUC SSK, Bluebus, Lightwerkz retrofit. MRegistry listing here

Comment

Working...
                                X