Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh no

Any pics?
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by WOLFN8TR View Post
      Just opened both of mine and they look like cheaply made crap!
      To be clear Gary, you're referring to the replacement items from the ebay listing, not the flat, bottom pieces that are being spoken about immediately above your post?

Mine are now stateside, but still on the east coast, so I don't have them quite yet.
      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post

To be clear Gary, you're referring to the replacement items from the ebay listing, not the flat, bottom pieces that are being spoken about immediately above your post?

Mine are now stateside, but still on the east coast, so I don't have them quite yet.
        Yeah im sure he is speaking about the bottom window outer seals and trim. I'll have to check mine out when i get home today and post pics.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
          Tyler I was referring to the two lower trim pieces. What a disappointment.

TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA
          Brembo 996 - ARC-8's - BWS 500S 9k/11k - Valentine 1 - BlueBus - Orion V4's
          Evolve Eventuri
          - VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser/CSL Trunk

Comment

Originally posted by PSUEng View Post
            On a side note, ordered a "​Gasket Rail" from one of the online parts houses; part showed up looking like crap--rough texture, spotty degradation. So, back it goes. Not sure what's going on, old stock? Crappy new production?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0815.jpg
Views:	749
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	222578
            Just checked my spares I bought from Schmiedmann about a year ago. They have a white powdery/waxy coating on the rubber that makes them look like absolute 5h1t (it looks like there are 3D gouges in the surface) but it all just wipes off, and actual rubber surface looks fine on mine.

Realise it might not be the same for everyone but might be worth checking.
            2005 ///M3 SMG Coupe Silbergrau Metallic/CSL bucket seats
            Build Thread:
            https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...e46-m3-journal

Comment

So I just realized that I replaced these seals on my E36 coupe a while ago, and it did not require the removal of the shadow line trim. I do not remember the details of that install on the E36, but why does the E46 require removal of the large trim piece?

Attached Files
              Silver Track to Street Car Journal
              Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

Just opened both of mine and they look like cheaply made crap!
                you serious ??

2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
                2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
                2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Here are mine, you can see where I rubbed it with my finger and it removed some of the coating on it. It seems it has some kind of coating on it, it's rough to the touch.

Comment

Commenting to save this thread for later, definitely have to attempt this DIY for the window trim!
                    - Jonathan

2004 M3 6MT Carbon Black OEM+ | Vortex Days

Comment

Originally posted by Maxima SE View Post
                      You serious ??
                      Yes the lower rear window trim pieces from ECS not the ones on the GB from eBay. I haven't got those yet, ETA June 26th.
                      Evolve Eventuri

Comment

Yes the lower rear window trim pieces from ECS not the ones on the GB from eBay. I haven't got those yet, ETA June 26th.

ohhhhh okay good.

yeah the lower trim are complete garbage since at least 3 years ago

I don’t know why bmws exterior trim and interior hard surface coating is such shit and doesn’t last. The finish on the European center console comes off effortlessly. I’ve already replaced the sunroof trim and rear 1/4 window trims on a car that has been garaged for 11 years straight. I take it out on a hot sunny day and stuff literally melts lol
                        My 20 year old Nissan has better exterior and interior trim for half the price new.
                        Last edited by Maxima SE; 06-21-2023, 09:10 AM.
                        2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
                        2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
                        2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Yep my M3 is also in garage. BMW's rubber deteriorates if you look at it the wrong way. 😂
                          Evolve Eventuri

Comment

The ceramic and graphene spray on coatings appear to do a nice job of preserving rubber. I've been using it on my daily's rubber trim for seven years and the rubber is absolutely mint. Should be noted that my daily is not garage kept. I'm only wondering if the rubber will now rot from the inside out.

3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post
                              The ceramic and graphene spray on coatings appear to do a nice job of preserving rubber. I've been using it on my daily's rubber trim for seven years and the rubber is absolutely mint. Should be noted that my daily is not garage kept. I'm only wondering if the rubber will now rot from the inside out.
                              I've used 303 and SiO2 spray on rubber as of late, so hoping that keeps my trims looking good if this is the kind of quality replacements are out there. These horizontal "gasket rails" have shot up in price too; now they are expensive poor quality parts.

Comment

Good info what brand do you recommend?

Here's some photos of my Brand New lower trim pieces. It almost looks like they need to be wet sanded and then coated. For $35 each I will try to “clean” them up a bit before using them. Glad they weren't the ones for $125 each!

Evolve Eventuri

Comment

Working...
                                X