No announcement yet.

Side Finisher Rubber Replacement and Rear Side Window Trim Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found a number of things out doing this replacement using the new OE style parts from Matas Navik (found in post #157)
    • Don't try to slide the whole piece in through the aluminum bracket area. It's too tight, even with lubricant, there's an easier way. Instead, take pliers and bend the corner up slightly on the rear end of the bracket. This will allow you to slide the new rubber in basically right where it needs to be. Definitely still use some sort of rubber safe lubricant. I've indicated below where to bend the aluminum, and where to align the rubber to that bent area prior to pushing it in to make it the easiest. You'll only need to slide it about an inch into its final place.
    • Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20231020_200806040~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.1 KB ID:	243690Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20231020_201203041~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	135.3 KB ID:	243691
    • I also found that my windows were very tight on this new rubber when closing. You'll want to slide the black finisher as far backwards as it will go while tightening the screws. Start with the screws in the most rearward section first. I was able to alleviate more compression on the rubber by removing the inner B-Pillar and loosening the two nuts that hold the rear window bracket on. The B-Pillar can be removed without removing the rear "door" cards. The "door" cards bend enough that you can access the plastic clips that hold the B-Pillar. There's play in the window mount, and I was able to slide the windows forward before re-tightening. The new rubber is still tight, but I'm hoping time closed will compress them into shape. I add a bit of grease too to help with friction as they closed.
    • If you are replacing the lower seal piece, mark the original height of the old seal with painters tape prior to removal. There's nothing to register the location of the seal since its simply adhered to the paint (esp. with a good cleaning of the old adhesive)
    • Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20231020_195824567.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.7 KB ID:	243692
    • 3M 03618 Adhesive remover worked great on the adhesive left over on the paint from the lower seal piece.
    • Protect your black finisher piece by laying a blanket on your work surface, or painters tape it. It's pretty easy to marr as you're fighting with the rubber.
    • Quite a bit of stretch is needed to get the bolt hole lined up through the new rubber. Remove a bit of adhesive protective tape at a time, adhere the rubber to the finisher, and keep repeating.​
    • Be careful removing the front door seal near the front of the car, there's a wire that is attached to the body, on both sides. I assume this is the antenna for the key fob?
    • The inner rear window seals are not L/R sided, they can be installed on either side. Just make sure the rubber faces outside, felt faces inside.
    • I've always had issues when the front windows down, where water on the roof would drip into the car. While the black finishers were off, I ran a bead of RTV black gasket maker down the existing ribbed seal along the back side of the finishers. The existing seals looked mashed down, so that was probably the root cause. Would be interesting if we could find a source for these too...
    Last edited by throwinshapes; 11-27-2023, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxima SE View Post
      You should ask the seller. The quote was for shipping to USA. Should be about the same
      Hiy guys im from Turkey and want to buy from that low price can u help me about btw i dont have paypal and cant use from my country its blocked

Comment

Originally posted by Daylight View Post

Hiy guys im from Turkey and want to buy from that low price can u help me about btw i dont have paypal and cant use from my country its blocked
        Message the seller in the eBay link brother.

Comment

I got nothing to do with this GB anymore.

y’all better email the seller before I get banned 😶
          2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
          2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
          2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Maxima SE View Post
            I got nothing to do with this GB anymore.

y’all better email the seller before I get banned 😶
            You're already a legend in my book.

Comment

Already contacted but as he says same price with ebay like 200 euro btw any of u mounted part is it fits fine?
              Last edited by Daylight; 12-22-2023, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Daylight View Post
                Already contacted but as he says same price with ebay like 200 euro btw any of u mounted part is it fits fine?
                Yes it's perfect. Just get it as it's still a great deal bro.

Comment

Just ordered through ebay link. $225 per set (L+R)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok, I'm really confused.

December 2001 E46 330Ci with high gloss shadowline trim.

I've received the long rubber strip to fit to the rear corner of the window trim (the part where it curves down and meets the horizontal weather strip.

I'm really confused about the following. Some help & clarification from fellow members would be appreciated.

What rubber / weather strip / seal do I need to purchase for the bottom horizontal part of the rear 3/4 window?

I'm under the impression I'll need to separate the high gloss shadowline trim from the bottom horizontal weather strip / seal piece and reattach it to the new piece (with double sided tape or similar).

I'm just not sure what piece I need to purchase to complete this job?

Or can I use the same piece as pictured in the opening post of this thread? Picture linked below.

Thanks in advance for your help

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=1328&d=1584929514.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.8 KB ID:	249511

Comment

if someone needs a passanger side only, I have one cause my car only had a bad driver side seal.
                      2001 BMW E46 M3 Laguna Seca / M-Texture 6mt
                      2002 BMW E46 M3 Titanium Silver/Black 6mt
                      2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
                      2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

Awesome post. Thanks for this!

Comment

Originally posted by Syfon View Post
                          Ok, I'm really confused.

December 2001 E46 330Ci with high gloss shadowline trim.

I've received the long rubber strip to fit to the rear corner of the window trim (the part where it curves down and meets the horizontal weather strip.

I'm really confused about the following. Some help & clarification from fellow members would be appreciated.

What rubber / weather strip / seal do I need to purchase for the bottom horizontal part of the rear 3/4 window?

I'm under the impression I'll need to separate the high gloss shadowline trim from the bottom horizontal weather strip / seal piece and reattach it to the new piece (with double sided tape or similar).

I'm just not sure what piece I need to purchase to complete this job?

Or can I use the same piece as pictured in the opening post of this thread? Picture linked below.

Thanks in advance for your help

Click image for larger version Name:	fetch?id=1328&d=1584929514.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.8 KB ID:	249511
                          E46 3 Series Coupe 328Ci. E46 3 Series Coupe 330Ci. Fits all E46 COUPE models. FITS ALL BMW E46 COUPE MODELS E46 3 Series Coupe M3. E46 3 Series Coupe M3 CSL. E46 3 Series Coupe 318Ci. E46 3 Series Coupe M3 SMG II.

Comment

Is this for the top or the bottom?

Comment

Bottom
                              2004 Dinan S3-R M3
                              2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

Working...
                              X