Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So in preparation for installing my new setup (SSv1s+63.5mm matching section 1 and 2+CSL Airbox), I finished tuning my current "basic" setup by jumping on the dyno at EAS. Since a lot of E46 M3s run on this dyno I thought it'd be a great opportunity to baseline this setup, compare to other M3s and see what the more advanced setup offers over the cheaper Euro headers and Eventuri intake.

Engine Mods:
    Eventuri intake + upgraded intake elbow
    Euro OEM headers
    Bosch 550cc injectors
    Walbro 485 fuel pump
    Modded OEM section 1 (added AR20 resonator)
    Supersprint section 2 resonated
    Dixis Spirit titanium section 3
    HTE E85 dyno tune
    Engine mileage: 232k miles

Unfortunately it was breaking up a bit up top so we ended with 321 whp/250 wtq and Hassan suggested changing spark plugs and coils (since they've been beaten on for about 25k miles) and we would end up with about 330 whp. A stock E46 M3 dynos around 270-280 whp on this dyno so getting another 50-60whp over USDM stock with intake, Euro headers and E85 tune is really amazing for not a lot of dough. The midrange and top end vs a stock setup/tune M3 is night and day, while the low end feels stout and accessible.

I'm hoping to break 360 with the SSv1s + section 1 + section 2 twin tube and CSL airbox. Once I install all of that I'll head back to EAS in the next few weeks and do a full Alpha N retune. It is honestly mindblowing to me how much more power you can pull out of a 3.2L N/A setup with such simple modifications, especially one with 232k miles. Once I finish with Setup #2 I'll get some 280/272 cams and do one final retune.

Thanks for reading. 🤙 Big shoutout to Hassan at HTE for being a wealth of knowledge and support. If you need your M3 tuned, he is superb.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_35223.jpg Views:	4 Size:	73.7 KB ID:	168606
    Last edited by EthanolTurbo; 05-19-2022, 10:34 PM.
    Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Looks like a very healthy high mileage M3, and thanx for contributing to the dyno thread!👍

Comment

Is there any advantage of going from stock injectors to 550cc injectors on a pump gas only car? I have 272/280 cams, Turner air box and SS V1 headers with 2.5” exhaust going all the way to the muffler. Recently installed new factory injectors, new factory fuel pump, new fuel filter and new fuel pressure regulator.

Would upgrading the fuel pump or the injectors result in more power with these mods? I thought the factory fuel system was sufficient for N/A mods.

Comment

Originally posted by /M3 View Post
          Is there any advantage of going from stock injectors to 550cc injectors on a pump gas only car? I have 272/280 cams, Turner air box and SS V1 headers with 2.5” exhaust going all the way to the muffler. Recently installed new factory injectors, new factory fuel pump, new fuel filter and new fuel pressure regulator.

Would upgrading the fuel pump or the injectors result in more power with these mods? I thought the factory fuel system was sufficient for N/A mods.
          It couldn't hurt, something like Green Giants (440cc) would be perfect. It's always better to have some overhead on injector duty cycle especially when you have the mods that you do which results in putting in a lot more air than stock. Also, if your factory injectors are old they're for sure leaking or inconsistent in fuel delivery. Factory fuel pump is crazy reliable (I replaced my original one at 220k miles and it was still going strong) and may not be necessary on pump but I'd upgrade it either way.

Comment

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post

It couldn't hurt, something like Green Giants (440cc) would be perfect. It's always better to have some overhead on injector duty cycle especially when you have the mods that you do which results in putting in a lot more air than stock. Also, if your factory injectors are old they're for sure leaking or inconsistent in fuel delivery. Factory fuel pump is crazy reliable (I replaced my original one at 220k miles and it was still going strong) and may not be necessary on pump but I'd upgrade it either way.
            Like I mentioned above, my entire fuel system is new including the injectors. Something I should discuss with Hassan. The “green giant” Volvo injectors aren’t that pricey at all. Neither the Bosch 550cc injectors. Doable on my end for sure if it will lead to more power.

Comment

Like I mentioned above, my entire fuel system is new including the injectors. Something I should discuss with Hassan. The “green giant” Volvo injectors aren’t that pricey at all. Neither the Bosch 550cc injectors. Doable on my end for sure if it will lead to more power.
              Oh my bad. Ask him, he might know what your current injector duty cycle is. He's the one that got me set up with my injectors + fuel pump and they have worked extremely well.

Comment

You're not going to make more power with your setup on pump gas. He's running ethanol which is why he needs the fuel system upgrade.
                2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Reposting from the airbox thread, just got this thing dyno tuned:

Dyno baseline, stock airbox, stock tune, stock cams, CPI stepped headers, resonators but no cats, RE El Diablo section 3 - 281 whp, 238 wtq

Haimus box installed, alpha N remote tune from Epic, everything else the same - 312 whp, 249 wtq

Probably not the healthiest stock motor, 175k miles on it, but I’m satisfied for now.

Click image for larger version Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1653499468.3139.jpg Views:	0 Size:	115.7 KB ID:	169366 Click image for larger version Name:	image_35370.jpg Views:	13 Size:	144.3 KB ID:	169363
                  Click image for larger version Name:	image_35371.jpg Views:	13 Size:	85.1 KB ID:	169364
                  Click image for larger version Name:	image_35372.jpg Views:	13 Size:	78.2 KB ID:	169365

Comment

Just had Hassan tune my car remotely on EuroMpire's Dynojet.

Mods:
                    • Agency Power headers
                    • Fabspeed Section 1 with HJC cats
                    • SuperSprint Section 2 resonated - oversized dual pipes
                    • SuperSprint Section 3 - Race (too loud but fun)
                    • TMS Street pulleys
                    • Karbonious matte intake (I'm told it's worth 10hp over gloss)
                    • BMC OEM CSL filter

Results: 322.53rwhp / 255.73rwtq
                    EDIT #2: Baseline pull with full CSL code: 303.47rwhp / 250.38 rwtq
                    Granted, I have stock cams and I don't have a 'CSL' emblem on the boot lid...

Drivability so far is perfect. My god that intake sounds effing glorious. No idea why I waited so long to do this mod.

I'm super happy with these numbers for just a couple of bolt-ons. It does have me kicking myself for not going SSV1 headers and section 1, but something to look forward to. I may go cams and those at some point down the road, but extremely happy for now. Considering I just dumped somewhere around 100lbs off the car, it feels pretty missile-like. I'm diggin it!

-Casa

EDIT: Dyno graph below. I tried to upload the below pic to this post originally. I typed this post on my laptop (hate typing on my phone) and then thought I was adding this pic to the edited post from my phone...
                    Last edited by Casa de Mesa; 06-07-2022, 02:56 AM.
                    Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220606_134337.jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.2 KB ID:	170827

Dyno graph for above post.
                      Last edited by Casa de Mesa; 06-06-2022, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Bruh that ain't a real dyno, du just drew that with a sharpie.

In all seriousness I'm so happy to see this thing on the road (not literally seeing) and you enjoying it more than ever.
                        2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
                          Bruh that ain't a real dyno, du just drew that with a sharpie.

In all seriousness I'm so happy to see this thing on the road (not literally seeing) and you enjoying it more than ever.
                          Ha!

Thanks man. It's been a long time comin. Like I said via PM, appreciate you letting me run ideas by you! Got this thing back together in 6 weekends, basically. I leave for a 1,000 mi rally tomorrow morning after an AC recharge! Nothing like cutting things close

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post

Ha!

Thanks man. It's been a long time comin. Like I said via PM, appreciate you letting me run ideas by you! Got this thing back together in 6 weekends, basically. I leave for a 1,000 mi rally tomorrow morning after an AC recharge! Nothing like cutting things close

Man, you've been burning that midnight oil! Have fun on the trip. Good luck!

Good gains. Well done.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayan-Viking View Post

Man, you've been burning that midnight oil! Have fun on the trip. Good luck!

Good gains. Well done.
                              Thank you sir!

Yeah, I'm happy for a few bolt-on parts. Install party on the Haimus when I get back?!?

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
                                Just had Hassan tune my car remotely on EuroMpire's Dynojet.

Mods:
                                • Agency Power headers
                                • Fabspeed Section 1 with HJC cats
                                • SuperSprint Section 2 resonated - oversized dual pipes
                                • SuperSprint Section 3 - Race (too loud but fun)
                                • TMS Street pulleys
                                • Karbonious matte intake (I'm told it's worth 10hp over gloss)
                                • BMC OEM CSL filter

Results: 322.53rwhp / 255.73rwtq

Drivability so far is perfect. My god that intake sounds effing glorious. No idea why I waited so long to do this mod.

I'm super happy with these numbers for just a couple of bolt-ons. It does have me kicking myself for not going SSV1 headers and section 1, but something to look forward to. I may go cams and those at some point down the road, but extremely happy for now. Considering I just dumped somewhere around 100lbs off the car, it feels pretty missile-like. I'm diggin it!

-Casa

EDIT: Dyno graph below. I tried to upload the below pic to this post originally. I typed this post on my laptop (hate typing on my phone) and then thought I was adding this pic to the edited post from my phone...
                                Awesome numbers and gains. HTE really dials the car in on the dyno, night and day vs base map lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X