Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baselined a stock 6MT car the other day and put my wagon on to see where she's at.

Eileen, average of 297hp and 245lb-ft of torque. Sporting a "stock" S54 long block, euro headers and singe exhaust out the side, along with a Dinan CAI and a Mark D'Sylva tune, drivetrain is 8HP45 transmission with 4.44 gears in a non-m rear diff.

HPB's shop wagon, Eileen, sporting a "stock" S54 long block, euro headers and singe exhaust out the side, along with a Dinan CAI and a Mark D'Sylva tune. Dri...

Scott, average of 294hp and 243lb-ft of torque. Stock, getting SS V1 headers, cats and Dinan muffler next, this is our baseline pull to see the delta in change.

Last edited by George Hill; 10-28-2022, 01:50 PM.
    '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
    Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
    Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

^^^Thanx for posting/contributing to the dyno base, and look forward to the results after the exhaust upgrades! Those are srsly healthy numbers for a 'stock' M3!

Comment

Originally posted by stash1 View Post
        Those are srsly healthy numbers for a 'stock' M3!
        I think the dyno is optimistic
        '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post

I think the dyno is optimistic
          George,

Could you explain yourself why do you think
          the numbers are optimistic ?

Regards,
          Anri.

https://www.instagram.com/euroclassicmotors/.

www.euroclassicmotors.com

Comment

Originally posted by Anri View Post

George,

Could you explain yourself why do you think
            the numbers are optimistic ?

Regards,
            Anri.

I don't think that a stock S54 makes 294whp on the average dynojet dyno.

We've also had a car on their dyno (at the old location, but same machine) that then went on a couple other dynojet's and made significantly less on those. Either way though, in this situation the number doesn't matter, it's the delta we are interested in.

Comment

I don't think that a stock S54 makes 294whp on the average dynojet dyno.

We've also had a car on their dyno (at the old location, but same machine) that then went on a couple other dynojet's and made significantly less on those. Either way though, in this situation the number doesn't matter, it's the delta we are interested in.
              Hi,

When you say stock you should be more specific.

The cars above you have dynoed are not stock. Even if you
              change the intake/filter system is not considered stock any more.

In your case above you have full exhaust system and a tune,

If we bring a bone stock M3 from EU market and put it on the dyno
              it will show more power than US M3 same engine.

If you take un-touched US M3 and put it on the Dyno-Jet assuming
              cranking compression is min 185psi on all cyl and vanos timing is
              perfect they make all day 275-285rwhp SAE Dyno-Jet. I have access to
              around 20+ S54s with various stages and performance parts. You
              should not example one s54 did not make power on the same dyno
              if you tell me 20 cars sure, but 1..

Removing the exhaust restrictions and tweaking the ignition timing
              map and Vanos map it will add power.

I am afraid to mentioned that for a stock engine with the mods you
              have you are actually down on power..

Regards,
              Anri
              Last edited by Anri; 10-30-2022, 07:13 PM.

Comment

When you say stock you should be more specific.

I am afraid to mentioned that for a stock engine with the mods you
                have you are actually down on power..

Regards,
                Anri

Hi Anri,
                I think you misread my post.

The blue M3 is stock, it has 0 modifications, not even an air filter. We put it on the dyno to see what it makes in this configuration and now that we have a baseline number we will swap on the SS V1 headers/cats and down the road it will get a Dinan CAI and Muffler. So considering this car makes 294 avg and compared to your numbers of 275-285 that is why I think this dyno is optimistic.

My wagon, Eileen, has made previously 307whp when it had the 6MT and KK headers on a stock Euro M3 tune on a different dynojet. That facility no longer rents their dyno to the public which is why I have her on this one. I've had my hands on a few ZF 8HP45 swaps now and every one seems to be down on power with the auto compared to the manual transmission, we were curious if Eileen is as well and I think this confirms that she follows that same pattern as the other cars. Its not an apples to apples comparison but it certainly trends that way.

Comment

Hi Anri,
                  I think you misread my post.

The blue M3 is stock, it has 0 modifications, not even an air filter. We put it on the dyno to see what it makes in this configuration and now that we have a baseline number we will swap on the SS V1 headers/cats and down the road it will get a Dinan CAI and Muffler. So considering this car makes 294 avg and compared to your numbers of 275-285 that is why I think this dyno is optimistic.

My wagon, Eileen, has made previously 307whp when it had the 6MT and KK headers on a stock Euro M3 tune on a different dynojet. That facility no longer rents their dyno to the public which is why I have her on this one. I've had my hands on a few ZF 8HP45 swaps now and every one seems to be down on power with the auto compared to the manual transmission, we were curious if Eileen is as well and I think this confirms that she follows that same pattern as the other cars. Its not an apples to apples comparison but it certainly trends that way.
                  Hi George,

My eye was on the Eileen with the mods and nice flame under the rear door :-)
                  but yes I did not pay attention to the blue car.

A dyno owner should put some maintenance on the dyno and if it's used on
                  daily basis then ones every 2 months a shop car which make same power
                  should be put on to make sure the dyno is reading accurate.

The dyno shop I use they do that with a car which makes the same amount of
                  power every single time, this is done every 4months. This way the Business
                  stays desired to-go-to Dyno.

I will not mention names but ones the "word' is out there that X dyno shop
                  dynamometer reads on the happy side...people avoid to go there.

Some Dyno owners don't care from the fact that the dyno reads either way
                  low or hi their moto is who cares from the numbers its a tool to see before and
                  after upgrades. Nothing wrong with that but not everybody cup of tea..

Absolutely normal...Eileen lost power with the "Tamagotchi" 8 speed box. Its Auto
                  box and the fact it has 2 more gears, creates friction losses. To my surprise is
                  not that bad only 10 wheel.

Regards
                  Anri

Comment

Hi George,

My eye was on the Eileen with the mods and nice flame under the rear door :-)
                    but yes I did not pay attention to the blue car.

A dyno owner should put some maintenance on the dyno and if it's used on
                    daily basis then ones every 2 months a shop car which make same power
                    should be put on to make sure the dyno is reading accurate.

Regards
                    Anri
                    Anri,
                    To be fair their dyno has been consistently the same for years, just higher than all the other DJs we've used.

And for the ZF8, if we say that their dyno is 14 +/- high that would put Eileen down 24 with the ZF8 . BUT what's interesting is she still runs 111mph +/- in the quarter mile which from what I could find is as much as 7mph over a stock M3 which would then indicate the power is a decent more or maybe the drivetrain is less in lower gears. The other side is that the stock ZF8 equipped cars seem to make the same power with auto vs manual... is there programming to give the auto equipped cars more power considering drivetrain loss? IDK, lots of questions and we are just starting to try to answer them, ha.

The KK headers DO make more top end power than these headers so again not a completely valid comparison, the next car will get a 100% apples to apples swap before and after dyno test.

While Eileen is first and foremost a street car I do track her a lot (road and drag). With the ZF8 the TC is so tight she just can't get moving off the line so the 60' is terrible (if we can get the 60' down to the best ever 6MT 60' she's gonna fly as there's almost .3 sec to be gained just in the 60'!). We were thinking maybe the torque converter lock settings could be manipulated to allow the engine to get moving faster, so here's a couple graphs with the TC lock-up getting played around with (disregard the max numbers as the lockup is skewing those numbers). We didn't make many pulls because we were looking for a significant change, which we didn't get but the data is interesting (the other pulls were all with the TC locked the entire run). We'll back it up with some road tests as well.
                    Green - TC unlocked full run
                    Blue - TC locked at 5300 RPM
                    Red - TC locked at 7000 RPM

Comment

Anri,
                      To be fair their dyno has been consistently the same for years, just higher than all the other DJs we've used.

And for the ZF8, if we say that their dyno is 14 +/- high that would put Eileen down 24 with the ZF8 . BUT what's interesting is she still runs 111mph +/- in the quarter mile which from what I could find is as much as 7mph over a stock M3 which would then indicate the power is a decent more or maybe the drivetrain is less in lower gears. The other side is that the stock ZF8 equipped cars seem to make the same power with auto vs manual... is there programming to give the auto equipped cars more power considering drivetrain loss? IDK, lots of questions and we are just starting to try to answer them, ha.

The KK headers DO make more top end power than these headers so again not a completely valid comparison, the next car will get a 100% apples to apples swap before and after dyno test.

While Eileen is first and foremost a street car I do track her a lot (road and drag). With the ZF8 the TC is so tight she just can't get moving off the line so the 60' is terrible (if we can get the 60' down to the best ever 6MT 60' she's gonna fly as there's almost .3 sec to be gained just in the 60'!). We were thinking maybe the torque converter lock settings could be manipulated to allow the engine to get moving faster, so here's a couple graphs with the TC lock-up getting played around with (disregard the max numbers as the lockup is skewing those numbers). We didn't make many pulls because we were looking for a significant change, which we didn't get but the data is interesting (the other pulls were all with the TC locked the entire run). We'll back it up with some road tests as well.
                      Green - TC unlocked full run
                      Blue - TC locked at 5300 RPM
                      Red - TC locked at 7000 RPM

111 mph trap for what amounts to a stockish power car is nuts. I think most E46 M3's that magazines tested were like 107 mph trap. 111 is E90 M3/first gen 5.0 Coyote Mustang level. Very impressive results with the ZF8. I'm personally trying to get my M3 to trap around 120ish in the 1/4. Should be doable with the upcoming power increase at this weight.
                      Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post

111 mph trap for what amounts to a stockish power car is nuts. I think most E46 M3's that magazines tested were like 107 mph trap. 111 is E90 M3/first gen 5.0 Coyote Mustang level. Very impressive results with the ZF8. I'm personally trying to get my M3 to trap around 120ish in the 1/4. Should be doable with the upcoming power increase at this weight.
                        I don't want to divulge to far from the point of the thread, but mph is an indicator of hp so maybe its another data point for some. I just double checked my numbers as I thought the car trapped just as fast with the 6MT, but thats not the case:

This was our Hot Rod Drag Week setup, 6MT, Euro headers, Karb Plenum, Alpha-N tune and 3.15 gears! We thought the car was heat soaking towards the end of the week so after we were officially finished we pulled the hood (ran the whole week with it sealed) and knocked out a 12.89 @ 107.6, we tried to back it up, but I'm not a great driver, lol.

Then at Sick Week the setup was ZF8, Stock intake with Dinan CAI, MAF tune and 3.15 gears.

Then a couple weeks ago I decided to put some gear in the car, my paperwork said it had a 3.46LSD in it and I never verified. When I got it a part I found it had a 3.15 ratio, I swapped in 4.44s and it completely woke it up down low. From a stop it would not spin the 275 RS4s, now there is not hope to keep them hooked up so I'm working on the traction now.

3.15s:

4.44s:

So it looks like my memory was a bit off, it trapped 108.xx (I really thought it went faster at the track, but I can't find the slips to back it up, maybe we were doing the match and showed it had the opportunity) at the track and then we backed up the other numbers with the dragy which were 110.xx. There is a private track down coming up at Texas Motorplex that I might go to and see if we can break these 325 axle shafts lol.

Comment

Anri,

And for the ZF8, if we say that their dyno is 14 +/- high that would put Eileen down 24 with the ZF8 . BUT what's interesting is she still runs 111mph +/- in the quarter mile

George,

The "Tamagotchi" 8 speed has advantages and disadvantages.

-Heavy
                          -Requires oil cooler
                          -Oil lines
                          -8 speed (2more gear friction)

It's a Win Lose scenario for sure but the scale is heavier on the
                          Win scenario

Properly geared set up can easy override the negatives!

Gearing is Magic, it can make under powered car or heavy car feel
                          light and fast..

You proved it with your quarter miles test. I don't know how
                          heavy your Wagon/Kombi is but it must be little heavier than std
                          E46M3 6spd box ? Say it is heavier, it does not matter from the
                          disadvantages the 8 speed has but the close-ratios box overrides
                          the negatives.

As far as I can see the diff is 4.44. That means that you made
                          the gears ratios more effective in the second part.

The RPM drop on closer ratios gear box will keep the engine
                          over all in higher HP window.

(I am in a process of making a kit for those who are interest in
                          manual transmission option for E46M3 owners)

DCT type gear boxes are nice and sure the shifting is faster
                          than manual-clutch type but one thing for sure those who
                          are after more fun Manual Gear box all day every day. More fun
                          to have at the track than 2 pedal, at least for me.

Regards
                          Anri

Comment

I don't want to divulge to far from the point of the thread, but mph is an indicator of hp so maybe its another data point for some. I just double checked my numbers as I thought the car trapped just as fast with the 6MT, but thats not the case:

This was our Hot Rod Drag Week setup, 6MT, Euro headers, Karb Plenum, Alpha-N tune and 3.15 gears! We thought the car was heat soaking towards the end of the week so after we were officially finished we pulled the hood (ran the whole week with it sealed) and knocked out a 12.89 @ 107.6, we tried to back it up, but I'm not a great driver, lol.

Then at Sick Week the setup was ZF8, Stock intake with Dinan CAI, MAF tune and 3.15 gears.

Then a couple weeks ago I decided to put some gear in the car, my paperwork said it had a 3.46LSD in it and I never verified. When I got it a part I found it had a 3.15 ratio, I swapped in 4.44s and it completely woke it up down low. From a stop it would not spin the 275 RS4s, now there is not hope to keep them hooked up so I'm working on the traction now.

3.15s:

4.44s:

So it looks like my memory was a bit off, it trapped 108.xx (I really thought it went faster at the track, but I can't find the slips to back it up, maybe we were doing the match and showed it had the opportunity) at the track and then we backed up the other numbers with the dragy which were 110.xx. There is a private track down coming up at Texas Motorplex that I might go to and see if we can break these 325 axle shafts lol.
                            Crazy that it had 3.15's and still did decently but yeah those 4.44's dropped almost half a second in the 1/4! I think the craziest part is it's running all these with a slow 60 ft (2.2-2.3). With a 1.6-1.7 60 ft it would be running low 12's. In theory with cams, weight reduction and a good launch this car could be running mid to low 11's all motor. Really makes me want to Draggy my car and see what it does with stock cams vs upgraded cams, bigger exhaust and headers and 3.91 gears.
                            Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

(I am in a process of making a kit for those who are interest in
                              manual transmission option for E46M3 owners)

DCT type gear boxes are nice and sure the shifting is faster
                              than manual-clutch type but one thing for sure those who
                              are after more fun Manual Gear box all day every day. More fun
                              to have at the track than 2 pedal, at least for me.

Regards
                              Anri
                              Anri,
                              I have not scaled the car since I've got the car to its current weight, but I bet its around 3150 without me in it. Maybe I should do that this week... My ZF8 setup is probably 130-140# heavier than a light flywheel ZF5 setup! I have a S6-53 6MT in it previously and that thing is heavy too, but still its maybe 20# or so lighter than the auto.

What kit are you developing? I sell an adapter to mate the ZF8 to the S54 and its really the only custom part in my configuration (aside from the trans cooler).

I'll be honest that I have an affection for manual transmissions, my other daily driver is an E53 X5 with a 5MT, but driving this car its just such a hoot. I don't think I would ever put a clutch pedal back in it at this point, with the paddle shifters its just a riot to drive on the street AND on the track.

Comment

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post

Crazy that it had 3.15's and still did decently but yeah those 4.44's dropped almost half a second in the 1/4! I think the craziest part is it's running all these with a slow 60 ft (2.2-2.3). With a 1.6-1.7 60 ft it would be running low 12's. In theory with cams, weight reduction and a good launch this car could be running mid to low 11's all motor. Really makes me want to Draggy my car and see what it does with stock cams vs upgraded cams, bigger exhaust and headers and 3.91 gears.
                                Yes, we were all blown away it had 3.15s in it, night and day difference in just the overall drivability everywhere.

Dragy is a really cool tool, I've had it for years, but just recently started playing with it and using it for data confirmation like this. Whats really nice is that the car pretty much runs the same out the back now no matter what so I can use it to test 1/8th mile or even 330' to get that data without having to make full quarter mile passes, just really easy to make a change, test, make a change, test, etc.

And you are right, it still had a terrible 60', if it goes as fast as it ever did with the MT then it will go 12.49 just with that gain which will likely lead to a faster time overall so I really think its got some 12.3x's in it as is. I don't think it's going to go 11s in the configuration it is in but the next step is putting the Karb box back on it and getting Hassan to tune it. *We pulled it off originally as when the car leaves on the transbrake it is around 2200rpm which would just cause a severe bog, but Hassan has the tune figured out to make these engines run with high load at low RPMs so we'll see what that gains us HP wise and 1/4 mile wise. And depending what happens with that we'll send a spare converter to CircleD and have them build us a custom high(er) stall unit.

Comment

Working...
                                X