X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TosM3 View Post
    Does anyone have a DYI to install the intake
    There’s a few good videos on YouTube.
    06 ZCP SMG | HTE CSL MAP QuaranTune | SL CSL Airbox | Eventuri Scoop | DMG Strut Bar | RE El Diablo | CPI Euro200R | AP Headers | Porsche BBK | ST XTA | TMS 3-Pulleys/F-Sway/Mono FCAB | AKG Trans/diff/Subframe/RTAB | SPL RCA | SGT SCZA Trunk | ACL | Beisan | Redish | AFD E85 |

Budget CSL MAP Conversion

Comment

I'm curious what other Californians do about smog testing with these? I assume you revert back to the stock intake, take test and then re-install, Is going back to stock pretty straight forward? Any issues reverting back to stock given some of the modification needed to install these CSL intakes?

How long does it take to remove and reinstall?

Comment

Originally posted by sdmcoupe View Post
        I'm curious what other Californians do about smog testing with these? I assume you revert back to the stock intake, take test and then re-install, Is going back to stock pretty straight forward? Any issues reverting back to stock given some of the modification needed to install these CSL intakes?

How long does it take to remove and reinstall?
        I’m just curious about the software portion (alpha N specific). For the hardware portion is less than a few hours.
        06 ZCP SMG | HTE CSL MAP QuaranTune | SL CSL Airbox | Eventuri Scoop | DMG Strut Bar | RE El Diablo | CPI Euro200R | AP Headers | Porsche BBK | ST XTA | TMS 3-Pulleys/F-Sway/Mono FCAB | AKG Trans/diff/Subframe/RTAB | SPL RCA | SGT SCZA Trunk | ACL | Beisan | Redish | AFD E85 |

Comment

Originally posted by COVID-19 View Post

I’m just curious about the software portion (alpha N specific). For the hardware portion is less than a few hours.
          If you're running an alpha n tune then just flash the stock tune, get all emissions readiness checks ready, smog it, then flash the alpha n tune back.

It's a tiny bit more complicated if you converted the boot sector to run the full CSL software. You have to take your DME out of the car and flash the whole stock software via BDM. Then do the emissions readiness thing, smog it, then reflash CSL software via BDM.
          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

If you're running an alpha n tune then just flash the stock tune, get all emissions readiness checks ready, smog it, then flash the alpha n tune back.

It's a tiny bit more complicated if you converted the boot sector to run the full CSL software. You have to take your DME out of the car and flash the whole stock software via BDM. Then do the emissions readiness thing, smog it, then reflash CSL software via BDM.
            You can modify the stock software to run with the CSL boot loader so you don’t need to BDM anything. terra posted how on the old forum, wasn’t a difficult change in a hex editor but I don’t remember how to do it off the top of my head. That’s my last resort plan if I can’t pass with the CSL software this year. Luckily only one more year of plug in testing before I hit the age limit here in MA.

Comment

Good to know, if I ever need to do a emission test.

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post

You can modify the stock software to run with the CSL boot loader so you don’t need to BDM anything. terra posted how on the old forum, wasn’t a difficult change in a hex editor but I don’t remember how to do it off the top of my head. That’s my last resort plan if I can’t pass with the CSL software this year. Luckily only one more year of plug in testing before I hit the age limit here in MA.
                That's cool. Didn't know that was a possibility, but should make things simpler for cars with full CSL software conversions.
                2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

I only saw one on youtube and it was in the dark. I didn't want to make a thread but I think I might have to.

Comment

never a fan of turner anything.

Comment

The first part of the series in installing a carbon fiber airbox in an E46 M3. This video explains how to remove the stock air plenum and surrounding accesso...

I used this and the part 2. It's relatively easy, but the nuts and hose fittings under the stock box are kinda annoying. Just be patient.

Also I'd recommend using a bit of brake lube on the ITB botos to help it slide on, it made it a breeze. Also have a microfiber handy for when you're putting things back on so you can cover the airbox so it doesn't get damaged.

As for the TMS airbox itself.... I never really liked it. The fact that the weave between the body and cone don't match is a big turn off, and that you can't fit the snorkel or flap if you wanted. Better to spend extra for a Karbonius box and have a nicer piece. I'd only go for this if I was tracking it and didn't really care... but you lose the snorkel and flap addition so..

Comment

Originally posted by pb_e46 View Post
                        Better to spend extra for a Karbonius box and have a nicer piece.
                        yep like 2x times extra :-) If it shows to have equal performance, which I bet with a right tune it will... S54 is reliable enough so I open the hood only when I do an oil change... so I think I will be able to sleep well :-). Do you see people who went TMS way saying that "I can't understand why you guys spending so much money with the Karbonius and all that PIA with the flap you'd be better with TMS"? Me neither ;-) hehe Cheers! All that assuming we will receive them at all, eventually hehe :-)

Comment

Originally posted by pb_e46 View Post
                          ....As for the TMS airbox itself.... I never really liked it. The fact that the weave between the body and cone don't match is a big turn off, and that you can't fit the snorkel or flap if you wanted. Better to spend extra for a Karbonius box and have a nicer piece. I'd only go for this if I was tracking it and didn't really care... but you lose the snorkel and flap addition so..
                          I bought one in the GB and went on to order and install a Karb. box for these reasons. I think it was mentioned in the TMS CSL Airbox thread on the old M3forums that the weave would match on the final product and the pics we all have seen were "pre-production" versions. I'll be very interested to see what I looks like compared to my Karb. box.
                          lm going to take it out of the box so I can check it out and take pictures the sell it at the GB price (shameless plug).
                          2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                          Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                          Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                          RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                          Instagram

Comment

well, sure enough, Turner's now stating expected shipping on June 26. Hope to hear from Leighton about whether this is accurate to our orders, as it sounded like at least the first wave of boxes would ship by the end of May.

edit: spoke to someone at Turner through the "chat" feature in their store site. I asked if June 26 was reflective of the group buy boxes, and he said that they're shipping in batches and the first batches will hopefully ship soon. Would not comment on how soon. But he did tell me that they're coming in batches of 10-15 at a time, and mine would be 18th to ship overall. So, I'm hoping that there isn't long to wait between the first and second batches.

I would be really interested if someone who gets their hands on one would be able to somehow objectively compare its performance to a Karb box, but I realize that may not happen anytime soon. For all of the apparent shortcomings of the box that people are pointing out, Turner seems to claim that it flows better than the OE CSL airbox on all 6 cylinders.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by ATB88; 05-15-2020, 11:58 AM.

Comment

I reached out to Leighton and he told me that he has confirmed with Turner that the first batch is already en-route to them. So, I'm hoping that means some of us might get ours in the next couple of weeks?

Comment

That would sure be nice 👌
                                2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                                Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                                Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                                RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                                Instagram

Comment

Working...
                                X