No announcement yet.

Turner Motorsport CSL Airbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So.. for someone currently in the market for a CSL box, it seems like Karboiuns is the way to go? I’ve heard decent things about Geoff & Haimus. Quality with Turner seems a little disappointing. Andrew(?) from build journal reviewed the Turner box and noted pretty decent HP gains; although the EAS dyno is known for being pretty generous.

Comment

It's pretty simple, pay more get more so it depends on your budget. If quality is not important to you get the turner.

If you want the best get oem. It's safe to say karbonius is the second best.
      2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by cornerbalanced View Post
        I’ve heard decent things about Geoff & Haimus.
        Aren’t they just rebranded Streamline?

Comment

It's not worth the chance of stuff falling apart off of the airbox and introducing said stuff or other debris into the engine just to save whatever it is (don't remember $500-600?).

The CSL intake is expensive no matter how you slice it, but a scored cylinder wall would be a bummer of a tradeoff for the upfront savings.

On a side note even the Karb boxes can have issues, mine doesn't have perfect air filter fitment and as a result let's some small gravel pieces around the back side of the filter, the pieces are trapped between the "lip" and the filter itself so they don't get into the main area of the airbox to my knowledge.

I showed pictures of this to Karbonious and they acknowledged this as a slight design flaw and that they have since changed the mold for better filter fitment.

In addition to that they will fill in the "gap" with carbon/Epoxy if I send them the box, I think I will send it over this winter and get it done as I use a portion of the foam ITG filter to fill in the gap currently. Just nervous about sending and receivingy airbox all that way and having it remain undamaged.
          2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
          Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
          Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
          RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
          Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by stephen View Post

Aren’t they just rebranded Streamline?
            Geoff steele's been around.

Streamline became Haimas
            DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
            /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
            More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

My car has had a Geoff Steel airbox on it for something like 8 years with no issue, and it was bought second hand from a racecar that it was on for years before that. No issues. Not the prettiest thing in the world because it was one of their original designs intended for racecars, but at this point its stood the test of time which is more than most can say about the new airbox makes. Seems strange that companies now have so much trouble replicating the box when mine was made probably ~15 years ago and is trouble free. Only thing I would swap it for now is a karb, simply because it would look better.
              Last edited by Thoglan; 08-09-2021, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Karb is louder too (and so is Evolve and, likely, TMS/Haimus)

Comment

With the Karb box, snorkel or no snorkel? pros/cons?

Comment

Originally posted by Thonas View Post
                    With the Karb box, snorkel or no snorkel? pros/cons?
                    Snorkel is a must imo, whether it be OEM or Karbonious you will pull colder air into the engine. Even with the US bumper that snorkel will help the engine see cooler temps I would have to imagine.

I don't have any facts to back any of this up but for me it's a no-brainer that you would see hotter temps without a snorkel.

This is another reason the Turner isn't quite as good imo. If it where a track focused car maybe lack of a snorkel wouldn't matter as much but for a street driven car I think a snorkel is a must if you get the Karb box.

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post

Snorkel is a must imo, whether it be OEM or Karbonious you will pull colder air into the engine. Even with the US bumper that snorkel will help the engine see cooler temps I would have to imagine.

I don't have any facts to back any of this up but for me it's a no-brainer that you would see hotter temps without a snorkel.

This is another reason the Turner isn't quite as good imo. If it where a track focused car maybe lack of a snorkel wouldn't matter as much but for a street driven car I think a snorkel is a must if you get the Karb box.
                      I did testing of this when I was debating the snorkel-- without a snorkel, by 10mph my intake temps were within a couple degrees of ambient. From a stop acceleration is limited by traction either way, so I decided I don't care if I'm losing power from 0 to 10.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                      2012 LMB/Black 128i
                      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

I did testing of this when I was debating the snorkel-- without a snorkel, but 10mph my intake temps were within a couple degress of ambient. From a stop acceleration is limited by traction either way, so I decided I don't care if I'm losing power from 0 to 10.
                        Interesting, I figured it would be more significant than that.

Instagram

Comment

Got the replacement airbox in today. Quality looks to be about the same. Going to my local CCA chapters meet this Sunday, as I have offers for both already. Looks like Karbonius is in my near future.

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post

Interesting, I figured it would be more significant than that.
                            Others have gotten different results
                            '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

I wouldn't want it here in Socal in the summer. If ambient temps are lower, it wouldn't matter.

Comment

Haven’t heard much until recently, but do any forum members here have the new Haimus box? I like that the bungs are threaded and not just snap on. Also really like the IAT sensor placement being closer to the actual opening versus the stock location to prevent heat soak. That, and price ain’t to bad either.

Any thoughts/experiences you guys would like to share?

Comment

Working...
                                X