Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
    Do you have a view of the other half?
    '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post

Do you have a view of the other half?
      Click image for larger version

Name:	20210805_093334.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	119037

Name:	20210805_093355.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	119038

That foam tape on the unfiltered section was not put on there by Karbonius. It's normally just bare carbon fiber. I added it because my airbox was rattling a bit.
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Name:	20200309_190124.jpg
Views:	610
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	119020

Name:	20200410_184741.jpg
Views:	594
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	119021

Name:	20210429_182444.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	119022
        that looks a lot more stout. I also have not heard anyone have similar issues. thanks for posting

Comment

Thoughts & prayers for all TMS box owners
          DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
          /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
          More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Name:	20200309_190124.jpg
Views:	610
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	119020

Name:	20200410_184741.jpg
Views:	594
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	119021

Name:	20210429_182444.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	119022
            That looks a MILLION times better than TMS. Wow, I can already tell the reinforcement there is extremely strong.

Comment

Name:	20210805_093334.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	119037

Name:	20210805_093355.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	119038

That foam tape on the unfiltered section was not put on there by Karbonius. It's normally just bare carbon fiber. I added it because my airbox was rattling a bit.
              What is the extra funnel for? Is it just an open section?

Comment

OE spec ducting no? Gotta love Karbonius
                DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by LSBNick View Post

Thats the inlet that sits behind the OE flap when closed.

There are several ducting parts required to use that port in CSL fashion.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

The OE box was only ever meant to be used on real CSLs, so cars with the CSL front bumper, flap and associated ducting. At low rpms, the flap is closed, so that extra hole at the bottom is used to get air into the engine. At higher rpms, the flap opens to allow for more airflow through the main opening.

Here's how it's all ducted:

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 11.16.22 AM.png
Views:	558
Size:	445.5 KB
ID:	119059

A bunch more pics of the ducting here: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...5610#post15610

Karbonius box is as close of a replica to OE as possible, so it's got that hole too.
                    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Thonas View Post
                      Anyone have any ideas how to fix this? The pins are fine but the carbon fiber was very thin at the holes and after driving they seem to have pulled through/broken the carbon fiber. Thanks
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	21B1E735-C95F-497C-A0DF-9E27028DEBD3.jpeg Views:	203 Size:	103.9 KB ID:	118293 Click image for larger version  Name:	D4C31D96-B88B-4291-AB89-77C3C72CCFE4.jpeg Views:	205 Size:	62.1 KB ID:	118294
                      I think you could try to repair this if Turner doesn't give you a replacement.
                      I would probably use some epoxy resin or cyanoacrylate to bond a short piece of aluminum tube (or maybe even a washer) into place. Then reinforce it by laying up some additional carbon fiber sheet or fiberglass mat.
                      The metal tube might end up causing the pins to break, depending on what they used for the pin material. When that happens, bond in a metal screw or locator pin in place of the original pin.
                      It probably won't look pretty, but it's all underneath so this shouldn't matter.
                      You might want to practice first if you haven't done this type of repair before.
                      Disclaimer: I don't have one of these intakes, so how the pieces fit together might affect where you can put material, and thus how well this idea might work.
                      Last edited by elbert; 08-05-2021, 01:07 PM.

Comment

The OE box was only ever meant to be used on real CSLs, so cars with the CSL front bumper, flap and associated ducting. At low rpms, the flap is closed, so that extra hole at the bottom is used to get air into the engine. At higher rpms, the flap opens to allow for more airflow through the main opening.

Here's how it's all ducted:

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 11.16.22 AM.png
Views:	558
Size:	445.5 KB
ID:	119059

A bunch more pics of the ducting here: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...5610#post15610

Karbonius box is as close of a replica to OE as possible, so it's got that hole too.
                        Is the ducting necessary to run the Karb box? Don’t have a csl front end, and not planning on running the flap personally.

Comment

Is the ducting necessary to run the Karb box? Don’t have a csl front end, and not planning on running the flap personally.
                          Without a flap there's no need for it, you can even cap off the bottom port. With a flap you'd need to at least leave the port uncapped.

I personally don't run a flap and just left it like it came from Karbonius, although I should probably cap the port off cause hot air and all that.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't one still run the factory CSL "back hole" ducting on a US bumper?

It looks as if it just kind of hangs out in the belly pan anyways, I'm sure it affixes itself to something that the US version doesn't have but in a likelihood one could make that ducting work on the US bumper as well.

The hole on the CSL bumper is for the snorkel and with use of the factory US duct comming up off the brake duct you can more or less replicate the cold air flow into the main intake tract of the Karbonious airbox.

For a period of time I had a section of 3" racing brake duct that attached to the brake duct inlet and ran to the Karbonious back hole. I removed it as it made disassembly a bit more involved but I am planning on putting it back together as it does a great job of forcing more cold air into the airbox in general.

jbfrancis3 made a great post on how to do just that and I followed his instructions.

Sharing with the group how I created ducting to my Karbonius airbox with the OEM flap using the standard M3's bumper. The goal is to feed air: - to the snorkel, which is upsteam of (before) the flap on the OEM piece, or just the snorkel itself on the Karbonius snorkel. The snorkel is the beginning section off some airboxes that

2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                            Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                            Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                            RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                            Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by elbert View Post

I think you could try to repair this if Turner doesn't give you a replacement.
                              I would probably use some epoxy resin or cyanoacrylate to bond a short piece of aluminum tube (or maybe even a washer) into place. Then reinforce it by laying up some additional carbon fiber sheet or fiberglass mat.
                              The metal tube might end up causing the pins to break, depending on what they used for the pin material. When that happens, bond in a metal screw or locator pin in place of the original pin.
                              It probably won't look pretty, but it's all underneath so this shouldn't matter.
                              You might want to practice first if you haven't done this type of repair before.
                              Disclaimer: I don't have one of these intakes, so how the pieces fit together might affect where you can put material, and thus how well this idea might work.
                              I am working on a fix using stainless steel washers and hi temp epoxy. I am wondering if I am putting lipstick on a pig!

The questions I am pondering now are:

- if fixed is this a good air box solution?
                              - Are there any other performance benefits to dumping this box and purchasing a Karboiuns box? (I think this should have been the first choice)

Comment

My rear bolt vibrated out and my bottom pins are now missing. Still not mad for the price I paid
                                This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                                https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Working...
                                X