Running cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running cold

Is my car running too cold, the needle is close to the first dot, sorry for the bad quality pic. This was highway driving. Outside temp was 61 according to the dash.
    Attached Files

Yes, it’s running a little cooler than it should. You should try bleeding the system first. If it still runs cool after that then replace the thermostat.

Comment

Ok thanks, will do.

Comment

There won't be much to bleed. Expansion tank is the highest point in the cooling system on our cars, so the system will self bleed.
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Read coolant temp via OBD. Pretty hard to really tell from that photo but should be fairly close to the middle. Coolant temp is even available in BlueBus if by chance you have one.

Comment

The coolant sensor under the intake manifold is what is reporting temp to that gauge. They can go bad and won't always throw an error code. It is much easier and not as messy to replace that sensor versus emptying most of the coolant to replace the thermostat. Once the sensor is ruled out, then time to move on to the thermostat.

Comment

I will check the temp with a scanner and let you guys know what it reads.

Comment

Originally posted by M3powerzz View Post
                I will check the temp with a scanner and let you guys know what it reads.
                and compare it to the temp value from the hidden menu.

Comment

So I check the hidden menu and the scanner, both read the same, around 170-173 f.
                  Attached Files

Comment

So I check the hidden menu and the scanner, both read the same, around 170-173 f.
                    The hidden display shows 79C which is 174F. I think the Tstat opened too soon or leaking.

Comment

I'm going to change the sensor under the intake manifold and see if that helps . I did change a hose a month back, so maybe air is still in the system.

Comment

Just change the coolant temp sensor. Now on the intake box, I see a small hole at the bottom. Is something suppose to be connected there?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Just change the coolant temp sensor. Now on the intake box, I see a small hole at the bottom. Is something suppose to be connected there?
                          That looks like oil drain to the sump. There’ll be a plastic hose entering the sump close to the dip stick tube, look for that and trace the loose end to where it’ll plug into that hole in your airbox.

Regards

Comment

Ok I see where it goes, the plastic tube is missing all together.

Comment

So I'm sitting in the car , its been running for about 15 mins, temp still cool. I figure the next thing is to change the thermostat?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X