Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where are we going to source slicktop headliners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

The reason is pretty clear-- they don't know it's NLA till they try to order it.
    that’s usually it, but i’ve had some cancel for other reasons such as my VIN number not matching with the part ordered or some other dumb excuse
    /// 2004 SGM/IR - Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
      They might rarely do a "second run" of something, for example I got a couple of the reissued LTW/GT e36 splitters a few years ago. I really wish they would wise up and offer more classic reissue parts but I don't see that happening. BMW doesn't give a rat's ass about their classics, or rather how they would see them, old cars.

The composite headliner is not a bad idea. You could sacrifice one, remove the fabric and all the glue, scan it, 3D print, and offer those for sale.
      Yea, this is a super obscure part that will never come back IMO.
      2005 M3 - SGM, 6MT, Impuls Cloth, Slicktop
      2022 M3 - BRG, Tartufo, xDrive​

Comment

Well, I got lucky. Called a dealership and gave them a CSL VIN I found online, NLA and none in stock. Gave a USA slicktop vin I found on a bringatrailer sale. He said there was zero black, zero beige, but one grey one left in the entire country. Somebody ordered it before the NLA tag, and didn't ever pick up from a dealership in Florida. It was ridiculously expensive, but I thought it might've been my last chance. Just showed up and picked it from my local dealer.

If this hadn't had happened my other plan was auto wreckers. I look on picknpull's inventory regularly and scout for slicktops. My friend in Bay Area, CA says he's seen multiple. I went many times throughout Washington state and never found any. None of the wreckers would ship this item.

I wasn't even planning on doing the Carbon roof quite yet, but just bought it anyway to be safe as it is "on the list."

Good luck to all. I would call a dealer intermittently to check if any pop up that they find in inventory.
        2006 Interlagos Blue 6MT | PNW
        Fortune Auto | Hotchkis F + R | Racing Dynamics | Auto Solutions SSK | Megan Headers | Supersprint Race | Apex 18x9.5 ET28 | 275 Squared | OEM CSL Trunk | CSL Diffuser | Euro Bumper

Comment

Originally posted by silbergrau137 View Post
          Well, I got lucky. Called a dealership and gave them a CSL VIN I found online, NLA and none in stock. Gave a USA slicktop vin I found on a bringatrailer sale. He said there was zero black, zero beige, but one grey one left in the entire country. Somebody ordered it before the NLA tag, and didn't ever pick up from a dealership in Florida. It was ridiculously expensive, but I thought it might've been my last chance. Just showed up and picked it from my local dealer.

If this hadn't had happened my other plan was auto wreckers. I look on picknpull's inventory regularly and scout for slicktops. My friend in Bay Area, CA says he's seen multiple. I went many times throughout Washington state and never found any. None of the wreckers would ship this item.

I wasn't even planning on doing the Carbon roof quite yet, but just bought it anyway to be safe as it is "on the list."

Good luck to all. I would call a dealer intermittently to check if any pop up that they find in inventory.
          you lucky dog! congrats on the find, I am constantly skimming the waters for one lol

Comment

Honestly someone needs to take an old one and scan it.
            http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
            '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
            '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

I have one if anyone wants to scan it before I install it.
              Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

How am I supposed to replace my factory liner if it ever sags?

BMW is such garbage when it comes to legacy parts.
                2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post

I have one if anyone wants to scan it before I install it.
                  Thing is though it would need to be stripped bare and fully cleaned, so really what we need is someone who has one that is sagging and ready for re-upholstering anyway. I actually feel like a dumbass because I literally just had mine redone (I was going to DIY, got frustrated and farmed it out, it's done now sitting in my garage) and didn't think to do this first.
                  '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
                    How am I supposed to replace my factory liner if it ever sags?

BMW is such garbage when it comes to legacy parts.
                    Do what everybody else does. Take it to a place that does upholstery and have them glue it back together. Or you can have them rip the fabric off, which should be easy since it's already half off, and recover it. You can buy Anthracite fabric by the yard online if you search around. Or you can do what all the cool kids do and wrap in -2002- 9002 Alcantara.

Whoops, 9002
                    E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
                    Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by liam821 View Post

Do what everybody else does. Take it to a place that does upholstery and have them glue it back together. Or you can have them rip the fabric off, which should be easy since it's already half off, and recover it. You can buy Anthracite fabric by the yard online if you search around. Or you can do what all the cool kids do and wrap in 2002 Alcantara.
                      You mean 9002.

I like the black cloth to be honest.
                      2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post

You mean 9002.

I like the black cloth to be honest.
                        Whoops, yes, this.
                        E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
                        Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

I need to reupholster mine. I plan to strip it down this winter and will try to scan it. No promises on timeline or scan quality 🙂

Comment

Carbon fiber slicktop headliners. Would this cost more than the carbon roof?

Comment

Originally posted by elbert View Post

I need to reupholster mine. I plan to strip it down this winter and will try to scan it. No promises on timeline or scan quality 🙂
                              Where are you located? There are 3D scanning companies that can do it for a pretty nominal fee. If you are in LA by chance I know a few people.
                              '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

I'd be down to crowdfund a proper 3d scan!

Comment

Working...
                                X