Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Porsche Brembo 996 BBK Conversion-- let's figure out how to fix the dust boots/seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brembo dust boots did not survive a track day . Granted, this track day was extra long, so the brakes got a good workout. 7, 30 min sessions vs the regular 5, 20 min sessions.

Setup was 996 calipers, ZCP rotors, PFC08 pads, titanium shims and brake ducts (which are kinda useless with the new rotors). Even with the cooling/heat shielding, this still happened:

Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	235420

That was the only boot that fully failed, but I found a few others that were a bit melted. Replaced with a girodisc one for the time being. I'll likely replace all of them before the next track day just to see how those hold up.
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Womp.

Looking forward to seeing how the high temp dust boots hold up on my friend’s car.

Really hoping they hold up, as I don’t want to be dealing with heat shields (or, worse, both combined aren’t enough).

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
        Womp.

Looking forward to seeing how the high temp dust boots hold up on my friend’s car.

Really hoping they hold up, as I don’t want to be dealing with heat shields (or, worse, both combined aren’t enough).
        Looking forward to that too. Do you know where those are from?

At least the boots are easy to swap without removing anything besides pads...
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

Curious if the piston seals are affected by the high temp.

Comment

Originally posted by Epsilon View Post
            Curious if the piston seals are affected by the high temp.
            I was unable to find Brembo seals when I rebuilt my calipers, so I used the girodisc ones. Supposedly made for high temps and track use, but we'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Looking forward to that too. Do you know where those are from?

At least the boots are easy to swap without removing anything besides pads...
              My friend got the "high temp" (I believe silicon?) seals from here: https://racingbrake.com/bp-404bs/

He has an event 10/17.

He's quite quick, so should be a good test of them.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
              2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the link

Comment

Update: High temp silicon seals held up!
                  (https://racingbrake.com/bp-404bs/)

Car was doing double duty, running in instructor and advanced group, back to back, all day. He was not running backing plates.

Disclaimers; 50-60 deg ambient and summit point raceway (not that hard on pads), so not WORST case scenario-- but I'm stoked. Will be installing this winter.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                  2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Hell yeah. That's fantastic news.
                    Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                      Update: High temp silicon seals held up!
                      (https://racingbrake.com/bp-404bs/)

Car was doing double duty, running in instructor and advanced group, back to back, all day. He was not running backing plates.

Disclaimers; 50-60 deg ambient and summit point raceway (not that hard on pads), so not WORST case scenario-- but I'm stoked. Will be installing this winter.
                      Would you advise running these high temp seals in daily street use? I'm contemplating swapping out my CSL/CS spec'd brakes with Megane RS Trophy-R / Buildjounal fronts with 996 rears on my e46 "m3" touring. I think can will see 2 / 3 track days a year at most.

Comment

Originally posted by puma1824 View Post

Would you advise running these high temp seals in daily street use? I'm contemplating swapping out my CSL/CS spec'd brakes with Megane RS Trophy-R / Buildjounal fronts with 996 rears on my e46 "m3" touring. I think can will see 2 / 3 track days a year at most.
                        I plan to do it, but, since I have zero experience with it (yet), don’t think I should recommend it.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

So I installed the RacingBrake seals from above, and it looks like I'm going to have the same issue mrgizmo04had here: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...511#post229511

The dust boots for the smaller piston don't have enough friction to stay in place. I plan on reaching out to RB about this, these weren't cheap!

Comment

Originally posted by Pklauser View Post
                            So I installed the RacingBrake seals from above, and it looks like I'm going to have the same issue mrgizmo04had here: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...511#post229511

The dust boots for the smaller piston don't have enough friction to stay in place. I plan on reaching out to RB about this, these weren't cheap!
                            Don't remember if I posted this, but this is an issue with using Stoptech/Brembo/Girodisc dust boots on these 996 calipers. I don't know why, some bore spec is off somewhere. Several kits from Brembo and several kits from Girodisc, still same issue. Stoptech boots in Stoptech calipers no problem, Brembo boots in Brembo (GT kits not these 996) calipers no problem. The way I "solved" the issue is I squeeze deliberately yet gently on the outer metal ring of the dust boot to slightly deform it to make it oblong/oval (very slight). And it seems to stay in.

🤷‍♂️ I'll live with it with that slight workaround.

Happy motoring!

Sent from my SM-S911U1 using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Anyone confirm those blue RB ones hold up with pad less than 50%? Once pad starts getting low, heat capacity exits stage left and things start going south exponentially.

I'm getting tired replacing boots every other weekend. Although you really only need to do it if swapping to fuller pads where pistons need to be compressed back in (like to street pads). So I'm stopping swapping from track pads and will just let the pistons come out as track pads wear and when I need new track pads will clean off the pistons and replace dustboots. Hopefully blue ones are the answer?

Sent from my SM-S911U1 using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Im in the same boat but with Renault Megane Brembos (Freakyparts kit). Melted the stock new dustboots with 16mm GLOC pads and only slightly worn ZCP rotors, since the pistons had to be fully compressed to fit them and was only able to put Ti heatshields on outboard side. I then replaced the inboard boots (which were completely melted vs the outboards) w the RB blue high temps, and put 14.5mm PFC pads and new Girodisc rotors (no heatshields this time). While better, 3 of the 4 RB high temps had developed cracks next track day… I mean it’s def from direct contact to the pad backing plates but still frustrating that even w a ‘thinner’ pad thickness they still touch n cook. I then installed new RB blues boots for the outboards along with the Ti heatshields both sides hoping now they will survive without cracking next track day, but I’ll have to replace the already cracked inboards again. This will get tiresome and expensive if I have to keep replacing dustboots after every track event.

mrgizmo04 I was actually thinking the opposite, that as the pads for wear down in thickness with use maybe the dust boots will survive since won’t (shouldn’t) be touching the backing plates directly as much lol.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by BigRussia; 03-04-2024, 01:00 PM.
                                2004 CB/Cinnamon 6MT Coupe
                                Instagram
                                Youtube

Comment

Working...
                                X