Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

S6-37 6mt swap info (broken off from junk yard thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

What flywheel?
    Couldn't say. Current owner acquired the car as-is and let's just say there is a lot of sorting out to do. If I find out I'll let you know.
    IG: @limited.slip

Mystic Blue / M-cloth E46 M3 Coupe S54 6MT
    A̶l̶p̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶W̶h̶i̶t̶e̶ ̶/̶ ̶B̶l̶a̶c̶k̶ ̶E̶4̶6̶ ̶3̶2̶5̶i̶ ̶T̶o̶u̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶S̶5̶4̶ ̶6̶M̶T̶
    Imola Red / Alcantara / Cloth E46 330i ZHP Sedan S54 6MT
    Titanium Silver / Black E39 540i M-Sport
    Touring S62 6MT
    Alpine White / Black E90 M3 M3 S65 7DCT

Comment

Originally posted by Gt4 View Post
      I had a Z4M Coupe and 1-2 was notchy. And peoples on Zpost were also complaning about it over the years. Not sure it will be a night and day difference if someone do the swap.
      A lot of complaints about that 1-2 upshift grinding at high rpms also on Z4M.
      IG: @limited.slip

Mystic Blue / M-cloth E46 M3 Coupe S54 6MT
      A̶l̶p̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶W̶h̶i̶t̶e̶ ̶/̶ ̶B̶l̶a̶c̶k̶ ̶E̶4̶6̶ ̶3̶2̶5̶i̶ ̶T̶o̶u̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶S̶5̶4̶ ̶6̶M̶T̶
      Imola Red / Alcantara / Cloth E46 330i ZHP Sedan S54 6MT
      Titanium Silver / Black E39 540i M-Sport
      Touring S62 6MT
      Alpine White / Black E90 M3 M3 S65 7DCT

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

I kind of lost interest once I realized I own a S6-37 already (in my 128i). I don’t think it shifts any better, even compared to the completely stock 420g in my e39 M5… much less compared to the auto solutions kit in my e46.
        Are you sure that’s what you have? From what I’m seeing the 128 came with the S6-17. Which is going to be rated for less torque and is actually built by Getrag, not ZF

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post

Are you sure that’s what you have? From what I’m seeing the 128 came with the S6-17. Which is going to be rated for less torque and is actually built by Getrag, not ZF
          lol, and just like that I’m back in the game!

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i
          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Z4M shift is pretty nice with the ASS kit, but it can groan into second if rushed at redline. All other shifts are crisp and direct.

Comment

Alright making a return from my M3F hiatus to bump this thread. I've been in a Z4M coupe these last several years to get my S54 fix but I recently got another E46 M3 in my life that I'll be restoring.

So, I recently finished a SMG to Manual swap. Bought a used original manual 420G since I didn't want to mess around with machining work.

All new oem shifter bushings and fresh MTL-LT3 in there. Shifts like garbage.. sloppy, lots of play in gear, and takes quite a bit of persuasion to get it into gear when the trans is cold.

Now I'm no stranger to the 420G I know its always been a rough and noisy transmission, I feel like I got a high-mileage one with bad synchros or something since I just bought it used with no history on it. In retrospect I should have just paid a shop to convert my low-ish mileage SMG trans to manual but whatever that's already gone now.

I have the motor back out to refresh the whole thing on a stand, so now is a good time to consider swapping the trans. I can get a ZHP 6-speed easily through a buddy.

The Z4M 1-2 grind is a legit cause for concern, you can't go WOT and bang 1 to 2 in the Z4M. You have to baby that shift. The only good thing about the 420G is it takes a beating.

How many E46 M3's are out there running with the 330i/ZHP 6MT gearbox? Are the M3's with the ZHP trans also grinding that 1-2 shift? There's no solution in the Z4M world for this one, we just baby that shift.

I've had many ZHP's in the past, the ZF unit is nice in that car. It's smooth, quiet, and even when it's sloppy high mileage it still feels better than a sloppy 420G. The M3 driveshaft should bolt right up I don't think we even need to modify it.

Comment

No comment on the 1-2 shift with the ZHP, but LT3 is not the same spec as the original factory fill...

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i
                2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by e46IX View Post
                  Alright making a return from my M3F hiatus to bump this thread. I've been in a Z4M coupe these last several years to get my S54 fix but I recently got another E46 M3 in my life that I'll be restoring.

So, I recently finished a SMG to Manual swap. Bought a used original manual 420G since I didn't want to mess around with machining work.

All new oem shifter bushings and fresh MTL-LT3 in there. Shifts like garbage.. sloppy, lots of play in gear, and takes quite a bit of persuasion to get it into gear when the trans is cold.

Now I'm no stranger to the 420G I know its always been a rough and noisy transmission, I feel like I got a high-mileage one with bad synchros or something since I just bought it used with no history on it. In retrospect I should have just paid a shop to convert my low-ish mileage SMG trans to manual but whatever that's already gone now.

I have the motor back out to refresh the whole thing on a stand, so now is a good time to consider swapping the trans. I can get a ZHP 6-speed easily through a buddy.

The Z4M 1-2 grind is a legit cause for concern, you can't go WOT and bang 1 to 2 in the Z4M. You have to baby that shift. The only good thing about the 420G is it takes a beating.

How many E46 M3's are out there running with the 330i/ZHP 6MT gearbox? Are the M3's with the ZHP trans also grinding that 1-2 shift? There's no solution in the Z4M world for this one, we just baby that shift.

I've had many ZHP's in the past, the ZF unit is nice in that car. It's smooth, quiet, and even when it's sloppy high mileage it still feels better than a sloppy 420G. The M3 driveshaft should bolt right up I don't think we even need to modify it.
                  Every ZF 6 speed in BMW's is like that.

My E92 M3, my Supra, F87 M2's, etc.

You cannot rush the 1-2 shift in them.

I hate that.

There are a few folks that have done the swap, but it was more out of cost and availability rather than being an "upgrade".

I would recco, doing all your detents and swapping out to factory fluid and a good SSK like AS.
                  2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                  2005 BMW ///M3
                  Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
                  2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                  2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                  2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post
                    Those are all S6-53s, so wouldn't generalize to "all BMW 6 speed ZFs" based on that experience alone.

I've been trying to drive as many BMW 6 speed ZFs as possible lately, to try and find the ideal one to swap in to my M3. Think my favorite one so far is the S6-45. Feels great and I don't recall there being any issue with 1-2 shifts. Drove it back to back with a GR supra and the difference was huge.

S6-45 is kinda hard to find and pretty fragile though. Friend that owns one had the reverse synchro go out and needed a new transmission. Seems to be a relatively common failure based on a quick internet search. Looks like all the BMW manuals have some sort of downside to them
                    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Those are all S6-53s, so wouldn't generalize to "all BMW 6 speed ZFs" based on that experience alone.

I've been trying to drive as many BMW 6 speed ZFs as possible lately, to try and find the ideal one to swap in to my M3. Think my favorite one so far is the S6-45. Feels great and I don't recall there being any issue with 1-2 shifts. Drove it back to back with a GR supra and the difference was huge.

S6-45 is kinda hard to find and pretty fragile though. Friend that owns one had the reverse synchro go out and needed a new transmission. Seems to be a relatively common failure based on a quick internet search. Looks like all the BMW manuals have some sort of downside to them
                      The Supra is a GS6L50TZ but yaa it's smoother to engage than my E92 but you can't slam it into 2nd like I can with my 420s.

The smoothest 6 speed I ever had in a BMW was in my 2010 X3 but that was a 37 with low miles and an elderly original owner whom I bought the car from.

Never ripped on it because I used it to haul my dog around.

Funny enough I have a variant of that in my X5 and it's horrible.
                      2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                      2005 BMW ///M3
                      Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
                      2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                      2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                      2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

The Supra is a GS6L50TZ but yaa it's smoother to engage than my E92 but you can't slam it into 2nd like I can with my 420s.

The smoothest 6 speed I ever had in a BMW was in my 2010 X3 but that was a 37 with low miles and an elderly original owner whom I bought the car from.

Never ripped on it because I used it to haul my dog around.

Funny enough I have a variant of that in my X5 and it's horrible.
                        Oh yeah you're right. Was thrown off by the S6-53 wikipedia entry. Hmm, sounds like I need to drive even more BMW ZFs. Doesn't help that there's a million different versions of the same transmission either...
                        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Every ZF 6 speed in BMW's is like that.

You cannot rush the 1-2 shift in them.

I hate that.

There are a few folks that have done the swap, but it was more out of cost and availability rather than being an "upgrade".

I would recco, doing all your detents and swapping out to factory fluid and a good SSK like AS.
                          Not sure about that, I've owned maybe over 50 manual BMW's and haven't really experience that in other cars. I can do some WOT pulls slamming into 2nd in both my F80 and my E92 and no issues there. The F80 is a ZF unit for sure, I can't remember if the E9x uses a Getrag unit or ZF but the E92 has an Autosolutions SSK and that car shifts beautiful, the F80 will be getting one soon as well.

As for the MTF-LT3, it was all the dealer had in stock. I don't think they stock the LT2 anymore. Unless you guys are getting Pentosin or something.

Comment

I think you're going to run into the same issue with used manual gearboxes...lack of maintenance and notchy shifting.

To me...the benefit of swapping in a ZF box is a BMW reman is a LOT less than a 420g reman the last time I checked.

Originally posted by maupineda View Post
                            pretty nice with the ASS kit, but it can groan into second if rushed
                            For some reason, I find this funny lol

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2023-11-28 at 11.38.22_fdde5db3.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	243752

This just got shipped in, snuck this one from a wrecker who had it priced for cheap. Contacted Ronald to see if he can make an SSK for me hoping to get one from him by end of January.

Just so you guys know, the ZF 6-Speed in the E46 330i is also used in those early E60 525/30's with the M54 engine. I think it was 04-06 E60. I found mine like this priced under market value from car-part.

Comment

Just to confirm, are you planning on putting this transmission in an E46 M3? I’d love to hear your reviews if this is the case after you install it. If anything, there should be a great improvement just by installing the Autosolutions shifter.

Comment

Working...
                                X