Questions About Recaro Sportster CS Seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Albino09 View Post
    Do the CS's have a quick release forward tilt similar to the stock seat mechanism? Or are you forced to crank the knob at the base 1/8" of tilt at a time? If so, hardly seems worth it versus a fixed back because in practice they are no more useful. Currently I use my back seat to transport my track wheels when I autocross, so I really use the quick release tilt (also for kiddos riding in the back as well).
    They do have a tilt forward feature.

​​​​​​… it’s only 4 bolts and one plug to remove a seat. I just pull a seat to load/unload tires for the track. Takes 2-3 minutes, and much reduced odds of scuffing up the interior.

Much easier with a 25 lb seat assembly than the stock 60 lb seat assembly 🤣

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

They do have a tilt forward feature.

​​​​​​… it’s only 4 bolts and one plug to remove a seat. I just pull a seat to load/unload tires for the track. Takes 2-3 minutes, and much reduced odds of scuffing up the interior.

Much easier with a 25 lb seat assembly than the stock 60 lb seat assembly 🤣
      Fair point, and I imagine the seat mounting hardware is much easier accessed with BK mounts or otherwise. Not a realistic for loading kids into the back though. Good to know the CS has a tilt forward feature, thanks.
      2002 M3 Coupe | 1988 320i Touring

Comment

Originally posted by Albino09 View Post

Fair point, and I imagine the seat mounting hardware is much easier accessed with BK mounts or otherwise. Not a realistic for loading kids into the back though. Good to know the CS has a tilt forward feature, thanks.
        The tilt forward on the CS is just a backrest release-- doesn't pivot the base forward, like the stock seat.

My wife can get in the back with the Nogaro if she's not wearing a dress, so I don't think my kid will be a problem, once she's old enough to buckle herself.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Looking at sizing, the sportster is hard to tell how wide the hips section of the seat is.
          pole positions and negaros look like they are about 15inches, or 390mm. I’m worried that’s too narrow for my fat ass, I’m a 38 waste and I think I need 16 inches of space and that’ll be snug. In fact I might be out of luck with buckets and 3point support.

anyone have a measurement on these in the hips area?

Comment

just installed mine, i measured the smallest-to-largest area and its 13" to 16" (measuring width from center to bolster). Hope that helps. I hear the Pole Positions are wider

Comment

Originally posted by rkneeshaw View Post
              Looking at sizing, the sportster is hard to tell how wide the hips section of the seat is.
              pole positions and negaros look like they are about 15inches, or 390mm. I’m worried that’s too narrow for my fat ass, I’m a 38 waste and I think I need 16 inches of space and that’ll be snug. In fact I might be out of luck with buckets and 3point support.

anyone have a measurement on these in the hips area?
              You really need to go sit in some seats, either in a car or at a store that sells them. 30 seconds sitting in a Nogaro and I was sold on them but there are plenty of other seats that I knew immediately wouldn’t work.

Comment

100% agreed. Finding a way to sit in seats before buying is key.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

For anyone reading later - the four fasteners needed to mount each (that makes 8 total) sportster cs seat to the Brey Krause mounts are M8x1.25. I’m using 16mm bolts for the short spacer or no spacer, and 30mm bolts for the tall spacer. They’ll need to be hex head as there’s not a lot of room to install using an Allen or torx setup. Combo wrench required.

Hope that helps someone!
                  ‘02 332iT / 6 | ‘70 Jaguar XJ6 electric conversion

Comment

Another follow up. In the lowest setting (no spacers), with the Brey Krause mounts, the seat is 1/2” HIGHER than stock seats low setting. There is clearance to drop the seat 3/4” straight down before the motor would interfere with the seat buckets. More clearance if you also scoot the seat rearward on the rails.

Additionally, I’m 6’3” and the design of the Brey Krause brackets means the seat rails are locked in the furthest rearward position for my seating position. The seats are positioned much farther forward on the rails than the stock ones were, which limits their travel. They should be mounted around 2” farther back.

Overall, I can’t say I’d recommend these brackets. Looks like I’ll be designing and cutting/bending my own replacements soon.
                    Last edited by Bry5on; 09-16-2022, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bry5on View Post
                      Another follow up. In the lowest setting (no spacers), with the Brey Krause mounts, the seat is 1/2” HIGHER than stock seats low setting. There is clearance to drop the seat 3/4” straight down before the motor would interfere with the seat buckets. More clearance if you also scoot the seat rearward on the rails.

Additionally, I’m 6’3” and the design of the Brey Krause brackets means the seat rails are locked in the furthest rearward position for my seating position. The seats are positioned much farther forward on the rails than the stock ones were, which limits their travel. They should be mounted around 2” farther back.

Overall, I can’t say I’d recommend these brackets. Looks like I’ll be designing and cutting/bending my own replacements soon.
                      I've had to in the past, design my own seat mount using steel/aluminum purchased at Home Depot. Luckily the OEM brackets from my 1986 Toyota Corolla mounted to my custom base to fit some Brides. I'm a bit worried I'll be doing the same because I am also looking at the CS's and thus far being 6'2, 200lbs, 34" waist, there doesn't seem to be a good solution.

Besides custom building a set Bry5on, you don't have any other leads? May be leaning toward the Nogaro's if push comes to shove which would be a shame because I just love Recaro's and used them in a lot of my previous builds.

Comment

I’m the same size as you are and these seats are an absolute perfect fit. For me, just as effective support as the SPG XL I had in a prior car, and I never did fit in seats like pole positions. If you want to be able to recline and move forward/aft, even with the issues, I still think these are the best option.

I took some measurements today and it looks like a custom bracket could bring the seats down ~1/2” below stock height. After a day with the seats installed, I may actually just live with these. My car is a wagon (taller sedan roof line) so I’ve got more than 1.5” clearance to the roof still.

If you don’t care about being able to recline or fold, I’d go with the nogaros. They were a no go for me due to the recline constraint as my car is a DD.

Comment

Originally posted by Bry5on View Post

Highly recommend you try the Swiss cheese mounts (VAC, Macht Schnell) if you're looking for lower seat height. Even with sliders they sit a sportster cs significantly lower than stock

Comment

Does anyone know of a good guide to disassemble these seats? I've got a clients car here with Sportsters and the tilt feature is not working, looks like a cable came unclipped somewhere. I'm reluctant to start prying on plastic without knowing the repercussions on a clients car, lol.

Thanks, George
                            '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
                            Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
                            Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post
                              Does anyone know of a good guide to disassemble these seats? I've got a clients car here with Sportsters and the tilt feature is not working, looks like a cable came unclipped somewhere. I'm reluctant to start prying on plastic without knowing the repercussions on a clients car, lol.

Thanks, George
                              Basically you pull the covers off and most is revealed. I’m not sure about the seat retract, but here’s a photo with the foam removed where you can see the cable routing (foam just sits in place after the covers come off).
                              1) unbolt 4 Allen fasteners to remove seat bottom
                              2) remove trims and pry away seat back cover (see video https://youtu.be/DNThViXutg4)
                              3) lift off foam
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	FC6F2F29-9430-480C-93D2-3170BBB013C1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	122.2 KB ID:	198867 Click image for larger version  Name:	8C6B72B9-9328-4442-A661-294649890AE3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	134.8 KB ID:	198868
                              Last edited by Bry5on; 01-03-2023, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WestBankM4 View Post

I've had to in the past, design my own seat mount using steel/aluminum purchased at Home Depot. Luckily the OEM brackets from my 1986 Toyota Corolla mounted to my custom base to fit some Brides. I'm a bit worried I'll be doing the same because I am also looking at the CS's and thus far being 6'2, 200lbs, 34" waist, there doesn't seem to be a good solution.

Besides custom building a set Bry5on, you don't have any other leads? May be leaning toward the Nogaro's if push comes to shove which would be a shame because I just love Recaro's and used them in a lot of my previous builds.
                                Custom brackets are coming together, currently the final version is out for powder coat. Updates here: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...lack-tan-332it
                                v1:
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	D639F6C9-CA92-4012-A099-7FCF57579D71.jpg Views:	0 Size:	147.3 KB ID:	198873

v2:
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2022-12-17 at 9.04.41 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	550.2 KB ID:	198874

Comment

Working...
                                X