Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bimmerfan08 View Post

I'll add to.

Just thinking out loud here, but any adverse side effects to the rest of the drivetrain? I.e., increasing the stiffness of the driveshaft potentially impacts XYZ because...

What about NVH? Increase, decrease, or no change?
    *Should* be a reduction in harshness on abrupt throttle changes and shifting. Vibration will increase if the balance wasn’t good, and it is a bit harder to balance the longer shaft, although the stiffer/lighter carbon helps mitigate this. Otherwise, I’d estimate no noticeable impact to NVH.
    ‘02 332iT / 6 | ‘70 Jaguar XJ6 electric conversion

Comment

Originally posted by Bry5on View Post
      Carbon has the extra benefit of stiffness and more inherent damping. The reasons I’m interested in this are for those two and an inertial reduction to help with the clunk when shifting. Would love feedback from anyone who’s done a back to back on those metrics. Seems worth a shot!
      Yeah those things definitely make this mod appealing. But still waiting on radii measurements to see if there will be any actual inertial reduction
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Found some pretty good info from bmw blog:
        http://www.bmwblog.com/2021/04/09/vi...bmw-m3-and-m4/

The guts:​
        Click image for larger version  Name:	2014-bmw-m3-m4-technology-10.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.1 KB ID:	249342

Video from the linked blog post:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVqHSron50U

At 1:00 in the engineer mentions f8x carbon driveshaft is 90mm heinzboehmer
        Last edited by meowth; 01-15-2024, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by meowth View Post

Click image for larger version Name:	2014-bmw-m3-m4-technology-10.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.1 KB ID:	249342

Clever, I wonder what adhesive is used that’s able to be removed. That might also be useful on our driveshaft and half shaft CV splines..

Comment

Originally posted by meowth View Post

Click image for larger version Name:	2014-bmw-m3-m4-technology-10.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.1 KB ID:	249342

Ooh that cutaway picture is great. Can estimate wall thickness pretty well with that. Now we just need someone to cut open a stock driveshaft and measure the wall thickness at all its different diameters
            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Ooh that cutaway picture is great. Can estimate wall thickness pretty well with that. Now we just need someone to cut open a stock driveshaft and measure the wall thickness at all its different diameters
              If you have a driveshaft out I can ultrasonically measure thickness without cutting anything

Comment

Carbon has the extra benefit of stiffness and more inherent damping. The reasons I’m interested in this are for those two and an inertial reduction to help with the clunk when shifting. Would love feedback from anyone who’s done a back to back on those metrics. Seems worth a shot!
                I run a YFCM carbon driveshaft. I did a before drive in the mountains and then directly after the install. The shifts definitely feel more direct and the clunk is a lot less noticeable. No increase in NVH whatsoever. Installing a 1-piece driveshaft is a PITA. Had to drop the rear differential to get it in.
                2002 M3 Carbon Schwarz/Black 6MT

Comment

If you have a driveshaft out I can ultrasonically measure thickness without cutting anything
                  Hmm, doesn't tlow98 have an extra one?

Comment

Originally posted by slavik1988 View Post

I run a YFCM carbon driveshaft. I did a before drive in the mountains and then directly after the install. The shifts definitely feel more direct and the clunk is a lot less noticeable. No increase in NVH whatsoever. Installing a 1-piece driveshaft is a PITA. Had to drop the rear differential to get it in.
                    Drop the diff entirely? Or just remove the front bolt to allow movement of the front of the diff?

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerfan08 View Post

Drop the diff entirely? Or just remove the front bolt to allow movement of the front of the diff?
                      I had to remove the front bolt and loosen the rears as well as lower the whole rear subframe.
                      2002 M3 Carbon Schwarz/Black 6MT

Comment

Also have the YFCM DS and had to remove the front diff bolt and loosen the rears. I didn't have to lower the subframe though. I really wanted to avoid loosening the diff, but I just couldn't get that extra 2 to 3 mm to slip into the front diff flange.

On a side note, the weight savings of the YFCM DS is where it shines, IMO. As Slavic mentioned above, shifts are "more direct and the clunk is a lot less noticeable". There is also faint whirl sound at high speeds over 100+ mph like an electric motor. lol
                        Last edited by Epsilon; 01-17-2024, 07:26 PM.

Comment

I wonder if it might be viable to make the shaft a tiny bit shorter when cutting the flanges, to allow the expanding/contracting portion to cover the install without diff removal. I have no idea how much wiggle room there is in that joint.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                          2012 LMB/Black 128i
                          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                            I wonder if it might be viable to make the shaft a tiny bit shorter when cutting the flanges, to allow the expanding/contracting portion to cover the install without diff removal. I have no idea how much wiggle room there is in that joint.
                            how is it on the F8x cars with this driveshaft when it comes to install/removal? do they also have to loosen diff? or is the F8x DS flange adjustable/telescoping to allow install/removal with out touching the diff

Comment

Originally posted by nextelbuddy View Post

how is it on the F8x cars with this driveshaft when it comes to install/removal? do they also have to loosen diff? or is the F8x DS flange adjustable/telescoping to allow install/removal with out touching the diff
                              Yes it's telescopic by the diff. It probably can be retrofitted into the e46 if pinon size is the same.

But parts can't be bought separately you most likely need an f8x diff to dismantle.

Comment

In the BMW video, they state the CF diameter is directly related to max RPM, which IIRC is 7k on an S55.

Any thoughts on how this relates to spinning the S54 8k+?
                                '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
                                Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
                                Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Working...
                                X