Aftermarket head unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermarket head unit

Dynavin, Avant, Eonon. So much options? Which one did you guys go with and why?

I personally went with Dynavin. I also felt like my audio quality got worse after
    I've also had Eonon, audio quality was worse than Dynavin.

Comment

pretty much boils down to this

Aftermarket double din - best performance, most polished product/expandability from known brands, non-oem/aftermarket aesthetics, SQ build starts here
      Dynavin - more integrated looking solution, fairly well sorted, responsive us based customer service, I-bus/CAN functionality starts here
      Avin/Eonon/alibaba brands - arguably most integrated looking, tinkerers preference, little to no customer support so you should at the very least be well versed in the available online DIYs

Comment

I’ve had my M3 for 2 weeks, and I just installed the Avin. Pretty pricey for what it is, but it definitely looks like it belongs there. CarPlay has worked well for me so far, and I had to dig around online to figure out how get to the factory settings menu to make a few changes to it. For example, the volume as it came was simply too high. Going to 5 was pretty loud and 1 wasn’t exactly all that quiet. Now it’s better although perhaps too low. The Bluetooth phone seems to be very clear using a Enfig mic in the stock location in sunroof motor cover. I would tell you how I-BUS works, but it seems to have arrived unlicensed. I emailed support with Avin and got a very quick response saying my request was being passed along to someone. That was on Thursday and I haven’t heard a thing since, so draw whatever conclusion you want from that.

Overall, it looks and seems to function well, but it didn’t come cheap. There is a steep learning curve on how to use it and how to install it, and there is practically zero documentation about how to install it or use it included with it. The jury is still out on the support for me, but I’m not hugely optimistic.

Comment

I have an Eonon from a few years ago, 2gig ram, octa core android 8 I believe? I might be replacing it with a newer xtrons with carplay and more ram. The Eonon sounds acceptable turned up once you adjust the eq. But it has a low hiss coming out of the speakers whenever it’s on that my previous circa 2011 Dynavin didn’t have. Also the volume at 0 is off, and one notch up is at speaking level volume, there’s no ‘quiet’.

Comment

I went Dynavin because my OEM screen was pixelated and I wanted factory look with subwoofer control. Named units weren’t in this market then. Today, I’d probably just do a named unit that fits reasonably well. No one will know it’s not OEM but you and the handful of people on this Board. No one will care. And now that Dynavin puts its name on the head unit the stealth advantage is gone. Silly move, BTW, IMO.

SQ is better with Dynavin + Amps + BavSound.

maw

Comment

I run an Ipad Mini 4 controlling a hidden Pioneer single DIN in my Tundra. Only have the Pioneer as I actually listen to FM (backwoods Central VA) otherwise could have digital audio direct to the DSP. Ipad is jailbroken so pretty much do what I want with it. Use primarily a CarPlay-like app but also have all the other apps one could need (jailbroken versions Youtube, iheart, Spotify, etc.). Activator app lets it turn on when key taken to ACC and lock/turn screen of with truck off plus a bunch of other actions. Ipad is removable so I can transfer between Tundra and M3. Actual system consists of JL Audio (DSP, amps, subs) with a 3 way active front (HAT Legatia). Finally got the reverse camera working with the Ipad (only took 6 months...).
              Currently working on the same thing in the M3; just tore apart my old Dynavin to use as an ipad mount. Goal is to have the ipad slide in behind the front facia to keep it looking OE-like. Arudino will allow interface between the ipad/buttons and K bus on the M3. M3 will have almost the same as the Tundra except 2 way active front (no room or easy way to do a 3 way active front without serious mods to door or huge A pillar mounts).

IMO, the only thing the Eonon/Dynavins have going for them is the OE-like integration. Everything else is shite.

Mike
              02 M3 Titanium Silver/Black
              11 Tundra SuperWhite/Black
              16 X5

Comment

I went w a Sony head unit. Apple CarPlay and sound quality being the 2 main considerations…not as close to OEM looking like the Eonons and the others, but it is what it is. I had the XAV-AX5500 and later upgraded to the 6000 for wireless CarPlay
                Attached Files

Comment

If you decide to go with the traditional companies (JBL, Sony, Alpine, etc.), most of the Sony "XAV" units are designed so that it can fit easily above the air vents since only the upper din extends, but the lower half is shallow.

I went with Sony XAV-AX1000 because I like volume knobs, non-glossy screen, and front USB port. I also like it that it's a little older unit which better fits the vintage of the car as well.
                  Attached Files
                  /// 2004 SGM/IR - Build Thread

Comment

Having spent years shaking my head at everyone buying the chinese units and having all sorts of trouble with them I most definitely stuck to my principles and.... bought an xtrons..... 🤨

In the end the more I researched the traditional companies' offerings and the problems people had with them (particularly with CarPlay and the like) the more I felt that I was going to be compromising on both reliability and OE-like integration/looks.

I decided therefore to have a go first with one of the chinese units and then if it was no good to ditch it and go with a traditional company. I went for this model https://xtrons.com/bmw-rover-mg-andr...l-4g-ix8246bhl as I didn't want a big screen stuck to the dashboard, and I felt that the unit that mimics the original nav is an unnecessarily aged design.

So far I'm 3 months in and the experience has been significantly better than I was expecting. Crucially the unit has been reliable for me as has the CarPlay solution. It's fast, it looks about as OEM as you could realistically hope for, and support from Xtrons has been good.

Note: I'm aware that one of the key criticisms of these sorts of units is that reliability is variable from unit to unit. Therefore if anyone is taking this as some sort of endorsement please be aware that while my experience has been, so far, good, there's plenty of evidence out there on this forum and others that your experience may well not be the same as mine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8138.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	253723
                    2005 ///M3 SMG Coupe Silbergrau Metallic/CSL bucket seats
                    Build Thread:
                    https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...e46-m3-journal

Comment

I first tried the Xtrons however I sold it after a few months and got the new then Sony 6000 in the image below. It’s been great so far.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5822.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	253842

Comment

I have the dynavin and like it. Only issue so far comes with using Siri, it cuts out for the first second or so. “John replied “——— downtown” which isn’t helpful.

Just for the love of life do NOT BUY AVIN. i purchased their headunit, didn’t like it, tried to return it and they basically refused to give me an RMA. after weeks of haggling they finally did, so i sent back my unit and heard… nothing. No refund, no response despite trying several times. Had to have my CC refund me instead.

Comment

Working...
                        X