No announcement yet.

Where's your IAT? (CSL guys)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a little Jared aka bulbus for me. I might have to though. I'm going to try some blind plugs first.
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
      That's a little Jared aka bulbus for me. I might have to though. I'm going to try some blind plugs first.
      I'm not entirely sure a blind plug will work. The port has a slit in it and the actual sealing happens with an o ring further in. Pic for reference:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-10-07 at 3.41.20 PM.png
Views:	372
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	187709

Plus, that part of the airbox isn't seeing a vacuum continuously, so I wouldn't trust that the plug won't fall out. You'll likely need to use a cap like shown above or a spare sensor. Could maybe even 3D print/machine something that clips in using the same mechanism and has an o ring at the end for sealing.
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Thanks for the insight.

1. I didn't expect to plug the very outside edge, but the inner opening.

2. Hoping to find a plug with a tight enough fit so it stays in place.

3. Looking for the least visible/protruding solution.

Comment

Thanks for the insight.

1. I didn't expect to plug the very outside edge, but the inner opening.

2. Hoping to find a plug with a tight enough fit so it stays in place.

3. Looking for the least visible/protruding solution.
          Fair enough. Keep us posted with how it goes!

Not sure if this is still useful, but engine bay was half taken apart so I took these measurements.

ID of bung:

Name:	20221008_011753.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	187752

OD of bung:

Name:	20221008_012445.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	187753

Depth of bung (caliper is set up like that just for the pic):

Name:	20221008_012225.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	187754

ID of part where o ring goes (this was also measured non-stupidly, but caliper is set up like that for the pic):

Name:	20221008_012622.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	187755
          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

That helps thanks! I can get a 14mm cap, and it should squeeze in.

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
              Just moved mine tonight and switched to US Spec. Scaling to account for the different sensor.

Could anyone confirm which spec IAT this is? My cursory understanding is that there is a "E46 CSL" vs "US" spec? I believe the one I have pictured has CSL scaling? I am just trying to confirm for my tuner which scaling this one has. I think they have an idea but want us to confirm it.

Thanks

Name:	image0 (1).jpg
Views:	260
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	216320

Comment

Yes, that's the CSL sensor, not the gold-ish colored (maybe cad plating or is it brass?) E34 M5 iat.

Comment

Yes, that's the CSL sensor, not the gold-ish colored (maybe cad plating or is it brass?) E34 M5 iat.
                  Thanks very much.

Comment

That helps thanks! I can get a 14mm cap, and it should squeeze in.
                    Did you ever find a 14mm cap to plug it? Where did you put your IAT?

Comment

I did, I found a rubber stopper (like wine bottle tapered cork, but in rubber) at local hardware store. I ended up cutting the stopper so it was only about 1/2" long, right in the middle of the size range that was right for the hole - something like 13.5mm to 14mm. Stuck in now, hasn't moved, and I've been driving the car a bit lately.

IAT is secured to bottom of headlight assembly right now, which is right infront of the air path from eventuri scoop to airbox "mouth."

Comment

I have a converted ECU that's running the CSL software and MAP sensor. I want to relocate my IAT. Which sensor do I use? Is the E36 IAT (p/n13621725323) the correct one to use?
                        2004 Alpine White / Cinnamon E46 M3 6MT
                        1993 Brilliant Black FD Rx7
                        IG: @gearheadtwins

Comment

Originally posted by marksae View Post
                          I have a converted ECU that's running the CSL software and MAP sensor. I want to relocate my IAT. Which sensor do I use? Is the E36 IAT (p/n13621725323) the correct one to use?
                          Stock E46 CSL intake sensor is 13 62 1 739 510​​

Comment

Originally posted by BMWfanz View Post

Stock E46 CSL intake sensor is 13 62 1 739 510​​
                            Sorry, I should have worded my question a little better. I am currently running a CSL tune with the stock CSL IAT in its original location. I want to relocate the sensor using an e34 or e36 sensor. Will I need to recalibrate my ECU?
                            2004 Alpine White / Cinnamon E46 M3 6MT
                            1993 Brilliant Black FD Rx7
                            IG: @gearheadtwins

Comment

Originally posted by Epsilon View Post

Did you ever find a 14mm cap to plug it? Where did you put your IAT?

I did, I found a rubber stopper (like wine bottle tapered cork, but in rubber) at local hardware store. I ended up cutting the stopper so it was only about 1/2" long, right in the middle of the size range that was right for the hole - something like 13.5mm to 14mm. Stuck in now, hasn't moved, and I've been driving the car a bit lately.

IAT is secured to bottom of headlight assembly right now, which is right infront of the air path from eventuri scoop to airbox "mouth."
                              If you ever need cap/plugs check out www.caplugs.com (free samples). I got the perfect cap for the lower inlet on the Karb box here (again, free samples)
                              Caplugs delivers solutions for product protection, masking, shipping, finishing and more. Find the parts you need and order online today.
                              2006 M3 ZCP

Comment

Originally posted by marksae View Post

Sorry, I should have worded my question a little better. I am currently running a CSL tune with the stock CSL IAT in its original location. I want to relocate the sensor using an e34 or e36 sensor. Will I need to recalibrate my ECU?
                                Yea, you need to correct resistance calibration for your sensor. I think you can do it with MSS54 ecuworx software.

Comment

Working...
                                X