No announcement yet.

Porsche Brembo 996 BBK conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent thread with some great info. Thanks OP.

Comment

Today I just fit test the Brembos as I wanted to confirm I won't lose any swept area. I am happy to confirm it uses almost 100% of the rotor, I think there is like 0.5mm towards the inner radii that the pad does not cover. BTW, the OE setup does use the whole rotor at the rear. BTW, I confirm those are 2.7L Front pads

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0038.JPG Views:	0 Size:	74.1 KB ID:	36516

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0041.JPG Views:	0 Size:	72.8 KB ID:	36517
      Last edited by maupineda; 06-21-2020, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by maupineda View Post
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0038.JPG
Views:	654
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	36516
        Wow that guide pin sure is close to the rotor!

TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA
        Brembo 996 - ARC-8's - BWS 500S 9k/11k - Valentine 1 - BlueBus - Orion V4's
        Evolve Eventuri
        - VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser/CSL Trunk

Comment

Originally posted by WOLFN8TR View Post

Wow that guide pin sure is close to the rotor!
          it is, in fact, there was contact (not enough to actually bind the rotor), I posted more images in the installation thread. I need 1.6mm spacer to center the calliper. This will be addressed for the final assembly.

Comment

Originally posted by Titaniu//M View Post
            This project is finally coming together for me, and I am finishing up the paint on 2 remaining calipers. However, my parts ordering debacle is apparently not over. First I received 2 crossover lines that were different part numbers, but the same part. Then, I tore one of the rear dust boots so I ordered a new seal kit for the rear calipers from Amazon. I received it today and only got 1 seal. So for those of you looking to buy parts for this, do not order the seal kits from Amazon. Not really a "caliper kit" as the description suggests.

Name:	20200616_223316.jpg
Views:	796
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	35224
            I had the exact same thing occur from rockauto. The bag had the right part number, but one one seal instead of the whole rebuild kit.

Comment

it is, in fact, there was contact (not enough to actually bind the rotor), I posted more images in the installation thread. I need 1.6mm spacer to center the calliper. This will be addressed for the final assembly.
              Thanks for noting this! Any chance you could provide some more details/pictures on where exactly the washers go? Also, what size/type washers you used?
              2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Hi, I did not source my seals from them but went with the centric kit from FCP Euro. I wonder if they will bring some lube with them. if not, is this something I can source from the typical auto parts stores (Autozone, etc)?
                Any silicon grease will work for the seals. Super Lube is a good option. See the link below.

2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Originally posted by duracellttu View Post

Thanks for noting this! Any chance you could provide some more details/pictures on where exactly the washers go? Also, what size/type washers you used?
                  Hi! Yes. I will post some more photos tomorrow

Comment

I would not use regular lube on seals, but specific caliper rebuild fluid (not even brake fluid).
                    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by duracellttu View Post

The washers are 20OD 11ID and 0.8mm thick. I posted a photo on the DIY install thread.

Comment

Something I would suggest is some antiseize on the places these DISSIMILAR metals are touching. The alignment pins, the screws, and the center hube. Be VERY conservative with the amount used so nothing gets flung. Dirt will also collect wherever exposed.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200627_114212.jpg Views:	0 Size:	38.3 KB ID:	38236

DO NOT use on exposed surface, only contact points, where dissimilar metals touch. Since caliper brackets are aluminum, I'm putting it on the surface of the steering knuckle it bolts to. It looks anodized so it probably won't react there. I'm just doing it for safe measure.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200627_115416.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.8 KB ID:	38237

DO NOT use this on bracket bolts or caliper bolts or threads. This could cause those to loosen. It's highly unlikely but don't become that one person it happens to. Small rotor bolts are ok.

The reason to do this:
                        Aluminum and steel react with each other slowly over time quite severely. A good example is a transmission bolt. Our engines are iron so the corrosion is much less but non-M guy have a heck of a time with this. There's a metal reaction chart. I believe aluminum and steel are far apart meaning the have more reaction.

Good luck with the swaps everyone!
                        Last edited by Arith2; 06-27-2020, 08:12 AM.
                        This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                        https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

I accidentally ordered 99635294902 instead of 99635294903

Off to the stealership I go... and at least I'm getting some genuine pads. They may cost more but they'll perform better. OE and OEM do seem to differ a little when it comes to these Porsche pads, unlike BMW.

Comment

Finished up my front 996 conversion this morning. Will do the rears next weekend. Thanks to Tbonem3 and all those who contributed to this thread, the conversion went (almost) flawlessly.

Just to add to the wealth of information in this thread:
                            • Two of my rotor set screws were rounded out. The previous tech who did my front brakes reused them, despite the hex head being rounded off. I could not get them off, with a hex or Torx bit. I think this is a pretty common problem on BMWs. I tried using a Dremel to cut a slit in the top of the screws, then using a screwdriver to get them out, but this did not work. If you encounter this situation, grab a drill, use a bit about 75% the size of the head of the set screw- and drill into the hex head until you hit the rotor. The head of the set screw should pop off easily, and I was able to get the rotor off. The threaded portion that remains of the set screw should come out of the hub easily with vice grips, since there is no more tension holding them on.
                            • BUY NEW SET SCREWS when you are shopping for parts, they strip easily and cost $1 each at the dealer
                            • If I had to repeat this I would buy 6 Centric caliper seal kits total, 3 for each front and rear. Then, I would select the best fitting seals from the kits and use those. They are cheap enough this is a good idea IMO.
                            • If you do not buy the seal kits from Ohio Performance, you can buy the lube separately. It is called Centric disc brake assembly lube.
                            • I had some great results wetsanding the color coat with 2000 grit before applying clear. I then wetsanded the clear and buffed with Meguiars M105 and M205 to get a very smooth finish.
                            • BBS LMs in 19x8.5 ET +32 size clear the fronts with ease. I bought spacers just in case, but they were not needed.

Name:	DSCN9808.JPG
Views:	659
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	38430

Name:	DSCN9813.JPG
Views:	626
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	38432

Name:	DSCN9809.JPG
Views:	606
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	38431

Name:	DSCN9815.JPG
Views:	590
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	38433

Name:	DSCN9823.JPG
Views:	599
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	38434
                            '06 BMW M3 6MT Coupe - TiAg/Imola
                            '99 BMW M3 5MT Coupe - Estoril/Dove
                            '00 Honda Civic Si - Electron Blue Pearl/Black
                            '11 Toyota Tacoma T/X TRD - Magnetic Grey/Grey

Instagram: @6spd_M3 | @midwesteuroparts

Comment

I found out the stock 18s do not clear. The caliper hits the spokes. I calculated close to 10mm was needed so I ordered 12.5mm spacers. I'm sure they'll fit after but I want to know if I can use less. Wheel spacers are just bad in general but in my case, a necessary evil.

It's amazing to me how much weight you save with this also. Stop calipers are heavy hunks of junk.

Comment

Has anyone tried ECS 2-piece rear rotors with Rally Road adapters on the 996 conversion? I'm wondering if the fit is similar to stock rotors, or if the ECS rotors are too thick for this setup.

Comment

Working...
                                X